The Gun Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by MCS02, Aug 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

Try a revolver with a 2.25-inch barrel with Hydra-Shok ammo some time. I had an Ruger SP101 2.25", and fired two rounds of that ammo. I was in an indoor range, and even with ear protection, it sounded like a canon, and it hurt... my hand was even sore the next morning. None of my friends wanted to try it.

I'd like to have another SP101, with a longer barrel, to take to the range. They are too expensive for me at this time.

CD

2. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I have a Ruger LCR.357 with a 1.875” barrel. The Hogue Tamer grips with a gel pad right below where the hammer would be helps a lot with the felt recoil. I mostly plink with .38special ammo, but when I carry it I use short barrel .357 ammo. A little less recoil and a lot less muzzle flash. It’s a nice CCW, but extra ammo is a little more trouble than the extra mag for my G43.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/magnum-force-rugers-lcr-357-gets-serious/

3. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

I bought my SP101 to take with me while wilderness camping. It was rugged and reliable in harsh conditions. I took it to the range from time to time, but shot cheaper .38 special ammo, as you do.

CD

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    On the range I shoot 38 special, if I have my Ruger GP100 in the MINI, it is 38 +P or 357 mag. I recently started to carry the M&P 40 Compact as my carry and house unit. Of course I sleep with my Colt next to the bed. :) :)

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

High crime is your area ? :rolleyes:
    What would you have if you lived in the badlands of Chicago? :D

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I don't keep a gun next to my bed. o_O

I have a loaded Remington 870 Tactical not too far away, and kind of hidden -- where I live, I don't expect to ever need it. There are people who don't like me, but not THAT much. LOL

My .45 Colt is worth a few grand, so it is locked in a safe. My Remington 1100 is worth some decent coin, but it won't fit in my safe, and I hate that gun -- anyone want to buy it?

CD

7. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

Hey, urban settings don't worry me as much as some of the "in the sticks" rural settings I have encountered. My MINI Cooper works fine in Podunk, Texas, because the rednecks get a kick out of them. I've had more than one "bubba" tell me, "I like this little car."

If I owned a Prius, I'd stay in the cities in Texas, or pack some serious heat if I went "cross country" down here.

And, don't get me started about Arkansas. :p ;)

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    I live in an Urban paradise. :) It is the weirdos around that keep me on my toes and my shooting and defensive skills in the upper 90% ++.

Btw, Urban paradise is 20 ++ miles outside of the city center of Denver, I would not live in downtown Chicago, my niece does, she is a doctor, her horror stories are enough.

You can carry and protect your castle until you die and more than likely you will not need to be anything other than a legally armed citizen, the .1 percent that you do need to be prepared and are not, you are dead or maimed for life or have regrets of on how you could have saved someone you loved and/or cared for.

I think I will go out an buy another carry unit, I have a few a couple more will not hurt.

Btw, I do not have any long guns in my house, I keep all those at the farm for chores and an occasion poacher who will not leave the property.

Don

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    A Remington 870 short police edition is all the home protection I need and it will put nice size holes in people and knock down a whack job on crack easy.

I am in no way against guns of all types and believe we should all be able to carry anything we want anywhere we want. Idiots tend to not bother you our your family with a AK with a 30 clip hanging off your shoulder.

10. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My 11 year old Grandson got this one yesterday at dusk. Black powder rifle at a little under 100 yards. He wants to try my .308 Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle as soon as rifle season opens. I told him he'd have to work it out with his Mom since she's been using it for the last two or three seasons and isn't interested in giving it up. It's one of my favorites, but I can't shoot it any more. IMG_0409.JPG BeiifT0aQxi2lyqZ097KFg_thumb_710.jpg

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Shot the Area 59 Championship. Took 1st A-Class in Carry Optics.

12. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    In reference to all of the posts about self/home defense I have a few points/comments:

1) You never rise to the occasion. You sink to the level of your training. Once a year isn't gonna cut it. Hit the range much more often. Marksmanship and performance under pressure are perishable skills. Can't afford ammo/range time? Dryfire and in home train. It makes a difference.

2) Knock-down power is a myth. Don't care if it's a pistol, shotgun, or rifle. If the firearm doesn't knock you down when you fire it it won't knock anyone down on the recieving end. Physics is pretty clear on this.

3) Use what you like and what is appropriate for the environment you are in and then TRAIN with it. Take defense in the home classes. Watch videos. Practice and train.

4) If you conceal carry train that and then learn how else to defend yourself and others. The biggest skill I got out of my CCW (LTC here in TX) training was situational awareness and conflict resolution. That gun isn't a woobie it's a last resort. Use only when no other option avails itself.

5) Go shoot a shooting match. Something with a timer that keeps score. IDPA, USPSA, 3gun, any other outlaw style match with a timer and scored hits. It's the best stress-training you can get outside of expensive schools and really getting shot at.

Above all: Be safe and carry on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Couldn't agree more.. when your under pressure is when you see if your training is actually working. Love doing the competitions.

14. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Just a fun local match. Not my my finest hour by any means but a bunch of good fun and lots of laughs. Happy Holidays everyone!

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    What fun! Every time I watch your videos it makes me want to get back into USPSA, maybe next year

16. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Just realized a couple days ago that I let my CCW permit expire. Now I have to wander around feeling naked until they get my new one to me.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Someone is getting forget full.........I just don't remember who:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for making me check. I'm good for 3 more years. :D

19. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Rereading the last few postings, must renew my CCW this month, Spring is almost here and nuts will be out soon. :)

20. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I keep saying that about AutoX and track days. After hearing the 2020 JCW GP is gonna be a thing I may wait for that....