The Gun Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by MCS02, Aug 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    You have one right here Don! I'm going to need to start stocking up for the summer, the cost of ammo has been keeping me away. :(

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I saw 9mm jacketed ball at Gander mt for $13 for 50 rounds. But still not a box of .380 any where. They also had .223 at great prices.

It might be time to build my AR.

3. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    If you where out this way, I would build an AR for you... I've done a few of them. ;)

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the offer.

I have a lower empty receiver. I just have to figure out what I want for the rest. My son is a gun smith so I have his help if I need it.

I'm thinking a piston driven action instead of gas. May be an 18" barrel, good compromise between range and maneuverability. Then flat top upper so I can mount anything on it.

What manufacturers do you recommend?

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I really need to shoot more! A few months ago I had to pay $100 for a box of 250 rounds of 40. That was reloads.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling we will see ammo prices stay normal for a while as I see Homelands ammo budget being cut next year. :D

7. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    They will probably keep the prices high, knowing now that we will pay it...

I used to get 500 round cans of military issue Federal 5.56 for $120, current price is $200-$250, thanks to the anti gun lobbyists. :(

I bought a 22LR rifle (MP5 clone) a couple years ago so I could have something cheap to shoot with... Its only gone to my range once because if I can find 22 shooting either the 45's or SKS, even the AR's are about the same price. :(

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I just wish I had started reloading years ago.

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    American Rifleman had an article recently about the ammo shortage and high prices, they said it was because of gun enthusiasts buying up available stocks and hording ammo.

Dave

10. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0

That sounds like a great idea. I just spent a couple days out at Woodbury in pursuit of deer. No luck, but it looks like they have a nice range up to 200 yards.

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    More guns...

The other day after getting my stitches removed, I needed some stress relief.

Some quality time at the local range, I can go anytime during open hours since I do a month to month, kinda like 24 hour fitness but only for my trigger finger. :devil:

Decided to take and compare the Colt 380 and my Beretta PX4 9mm. Mostly to compare felt recoil and see if I could get my groups together, I guess you could say I was on the paper. :eek6: With some rounds in the 380 it was a bit more, but the home defense stuff shoots a bit lighter than 124 grain Aguila 9mm which I really like for price and going bang each time.

Today, Sunday I went down to the Tanner Gun show to look at a few items and see if they had some ammo I did not need but would buy if I found it. Added about 350 rounds of 22lr and another 100 rounds of 100 grain 380 from the loader in Laramie, Wyoming.

I did confirm the Laramie guy would ship to my house if I gave them a call and ordered direct versus waiting for them at the shows or they would drop it off on the way to a show in Denver or Colorado Springs. Nice! They use new brass and weight the bullets in 380, I found they shoot very well at the range. :Thumbsup: And in the little 380 when loaded for PP, mix a couple in the clip behind a couple of rounds of JHP, for the stop the bad guy for sure.

The 22lr is CCI Mini-Mag, still going for $20 per 100 count in 36 grain and I won't even tell you what they are jacking for the CCI Stinger at the show, lets just say I will be using it only for those days I feel flush. :crazy:

I did find a new guy at today's show who is making some nice custom holsters, so I might engage him to make a custom mag holder for my Colt and if I like it, then a custom IWB holster with a custom waist clip since I do not wear a belt unless I am open carry up in the nice Colorado Mountain towns.

Here is the final result of my range time, I felt great all afternoon after a 1.5 hour session.

[​IMG]

And my current units for home defense and personal carry.

[​IMG]

Going to add another revolver in January for range and hiking protection, if I can find the one I want. Saw one today at the show, it was a bit proud.

I hope all of you get some quality time on the range with your guns and have a great Christmas and New Year.

Don

12. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    My wait period is over and I picked up my new addition this afternoon. Not looking for a reason to use it, but well, ya know...

Attached Files:

13. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Full-time Military, part-time headbanger
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I've not shot a Maverick but it looks very well made. Lemme know how she does?

14. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    I thought this turned out pretty cool. I was doing hip pocket training on disassembly and cleaning of my SAW and thought I'd snap a picture. Somehow, it turned out like this.

Attached Files:

15. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    That's a great shot Lance!

16. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    I don't even know how it happened lol. I took the picture and it came out like that.

17. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    I know I am really late to the party, and for that I apologize. I think beyond the fact that this gun looks like a Beluga Whale, that grip concerns me. I get the whole compact conceal carry, but that isn't much grip and the whole point to a concealed carry is the ability to have tactical protection IF NEEDED. That said, if you have to deploy this weapon, you'll be doing it in a hurry, so it would seem you would want as much positive control over the weapon as you can get. Also, the frame design seems like it might make it uncomfortable to index your finger. I don't like how bulky the lower frame piece is, and I definitely don't like anything built-in (ie lasers/tac-lights, etc), because depending on how it's fashioned you may not be able to replace it should something break, and all of that stuff just adds un-needed weight to a CONCEALED CARRY. I dunno, just my two cents. This looks like something a Prius owner would buy.

18. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    I was watching some old youtube the other day, commentary and gun evaluations and a topic resurfaced, so I thought I would pop it here and see what you folks think.

What is the minimum acreage you would need to have in order to set up a personal/private range and shoot safely?

I know laws across all the states and counties will vary, so comment as you wish, if it is state and county specific for your area, note that too.

Some say you can shoot on any unincorporated county area. I know is some of the Colorado Counties shooting outside a licensed range is not permitted, Boulder, Denver, Broomfield and parts of Adams are very restrictive or nothing is allowed.

As for all of Colorado and Wyoming I am going to have to research it some!

Comments? Share your knowledge and ideas.

Personally, I would like to be able to shoot on a 5 to 10 acre piece of property that has the proper grading or site lines to allow safe shooting.

Don

Comments?

19. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    My minimum (unless shooting a pistol or scattergun) is 500 yards with a solid backdrop... Anything less than that just isnt as much fun. ;)

20. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Along with rules and laws you'll want to check with the neighbors. I set up a low caliper range at one house with 1.5 acers. I talked to all my neighbors first so no one would freak out or get upset. My parents had 2.5 acers with nothing but woods on the back. For years we shot everything there, shooting down hill, until some new neighbors complained.