The Gun Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by MCS02, Aug 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    In my area as long as I'm shooting in a safe manor they can complain but the sheriff can't really do anything about it. I have a hill/bank and then had a dump truck load of dirt brought in for more backing to shoot into.. Mainly just for pistols as 100 ft is about as far back as you can get, but do a 22 rifle as well..

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Interesting, small acreage is some parts is OK, 500 yards/1500 feet. Guess I will look for a piece with a hill or two!

Might have to go into Wyoming to get the right place at the right price.

:)

3. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Lots of acreage up around Wheatland/Chuggwater... It used to be cheap too. ;)

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    The sheriff said that shooting is fine but if the neighbors complained it would be disturbing the peace. The neighbors were fine with it and even joined in.

5. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Merry Christmas

So, I took the MINI and the contents of the safes over to the range with my son-in-law (Army SO group), previous unit was the 160th Nightstalkers.

So we shot a few, Glock 22, nice shooter, soft for a 40, Beretta PX4 9mm, Colt 380, Browning 22 and as a gift a nice Smith&Wesson 454/460 Casull owned by the guy 2 lanes over. What a beast and was it ever a flamethrower.

So, Merry Christmas to the folks on the gun-thread. Two from today.

[​IMG]

LB shooting the 454, it has some serious recoil. :eek6:

Range has Snowman targets now!

[​IMG]

Guess who shot the group with Glock 40!
    :Thumbsup: :cornut:

6. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Nice. I recently bought some of the targets like the black part in your snow man that has a color that shows up once hit. Makes it easier to see where you shot from a distance..

7. teresa wood

teresa wood Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 21, 2012
    Broker Associate Coldwell Banker, North Metro offi
    Arvada, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +761 / 0 / -0
    Nice grouping!!!!! 5280 armory just had their grand re-opening today! The new facility is fantastic! And Archery coming soon. Santa got me a membership. Woo hoo!!! Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Teresa, is that a yearly membership? Do you have a monthly range fee too?

It does look like they did a nice job. :)

9. teresa wood

teresa wood Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 21, 2012
    Broker Associate Coldwell Banker, North Metro offi
    Arvada, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +761 / 0 / -0
    It is a yearly membership. No other fees. Zero

10. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I had some of these made when I had the Hydrocarbon powered ones made. PM me if you would like one $5 shipped. 3" round magnetic badges.

Attached Files:

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Merry Christmas to all my gun toting MINI friends on M/A.

Safe and Happy, eat well, enjoy and shoot a few rounds just because you can!

Don

12. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    ^^^Just not in the house... ;)

13. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    A day or so late, Happy New Year to my gun toting M/A friends.

Was browsing around the internet, has anyone seen (in a gun shop), the new Ruger 22LR Pistol (Charger) for plinking, both standard and take-down, based on the 10-22 rifle components.

Looks like a nice plinker.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Ad74XbC9I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Ad74XbC9I[/ame]

Safe and Happy 2015.

14. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    For those of you needing a holster check this company out. Palmetto Leather Works

I have one of their IWB holsters for my XDS 3.3 and it is extremely comfortable. Worn it riding the Harley, driving the Mini and just around the house with no issues. Nice people that run and work the company.

15. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    In another life time I was quite heavy into guns. I was a young LEO in the suburbs of Detroit. After seven years of that I made a big change in my life and switched careers. The last time I fired a hand gun was 1964.

With all the happenings in our world I've increasingly had a desire to have a gun to keep close by. The day before yesterday I picked up a Ruger LCP .380. Yesterday I went to a nearby range to give it and me a test. Wow, what a hoot. The little gun started up functioning beautifully but as I got near the end of a box of 50 it started to occasionally jam on ejection (stove pipe?). Before shooting the gun the only thing I did was run a patch thru the barrel. I didn't break it down and do any lubricating so I'm hoping that might be part of the reason for jamming up.

One of the beauties of living in Arizona is I can strap it to my leg or throw it in my pocket and it's all legal with no need for a ccw permit.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm no expert but...... What load did you use? I know it a 380 so don't be angry when I say this but a limp wrist can cause a stove pipe. Take a good look at your spent rounds and the ejector.

One other thing are they reloads? I use reloads for practice they can be inconsistent.

17. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I've been away from guns and ammo for so long I don't know what they were. I know they were metal jacketed and the salesman told me they were specifically for range use as they emitted less 'noxious' fumes. I recall reading on the box something about 10% less load. I'm thinking that could contribute to jamming. I was never much in the automatic pistol arena and didn't know about the limp wrist. I don't believe that's the cause but I sure can't say it's not. I'll have a better idea the next time I go to the range.

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    For an auto to work correctly it needs a firm platform. If you do not have the correct grip and allow your wrist to move too much during recoil it can jam. Whats happening is your wrist are taking up the recoil instead of the slide so the round is not moving the slide all the way back. because of this the round can not be ejected properly.

But I think it may be the ammunition they sold you. If the load is too light that can be a problem.
    I use reloads to practice with, but I always run the amo I use when carrying. Do at least 100 rounds of your carry amo to make sure it does not jam. Some people wold say 500 rounds but I believe thats a bit much. I will tell you My carry gun has jammed only once or twice in the past 4 years. I have another just like it, I ran 1000 rounds through it before cleaning it, it never jammed once.
    Try better ammunition and see what happens. If it jams I would call Ruger.

19. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I have a LCP 380 and haven't had any issues with the gun. I have fired several 100 rounds with no issue so maybe it was the ammo or your grip. It's a nice little gun but definitely has some thump, kick, to it.

20. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    I have the Colt 380, I never have issues, but my daughter was here over the holiday, she was shooting and had a few not ejected on the last round in the magazine.

Cause was a limp wrist as noted, fixed her grip up a bit and all is good.

Also, a low power round in the 380 is not a good round in the 380. I have had good luck with Winchester white box (target) loads and PMC (Korean) loads FMJ.

My best 380 ammo other than my carry Hornady, is Liberty 100 grain FMJ out of Wyoming. It is almost a +P powder load, but it does increase recoil on the Mustang.

YMMV, but firm up the grip and try some FMJ 90 or 95 grain ammo.

Don

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List