MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #38 MCS02, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Well...... It looks like this as of this morning.......
    61629762550__0220AEF5-4921-4B05-B9F3-CA0D248B0817.JPG

I have learned a LOT!! about these cars. The down side is it looks like I will miss my first track day this weekend.
    What I find funny is the lack of good info about this motor. It is in a lot of cars. It a Toyota 2ZZ-ge motor.

I got a new cam and upgraded rockers. The cams have a small lobe with a roller and a large lobe with a slipper.

IMG_7777.JPG
    That slipper plate is on a spring and does nothing till about 5k RPM when oil pressure is sent to it and pushes it up to engage it. Kind of smart. Best of both worlds......
    To adjust the valves you change little buckets that fit on top of the valve stem. Kind of like an Alfa. Heres the problem. Depending on witch Toyota manual you read you measure differently. This is FUN!!! Here is some of the ways I have read to do it. Measure between the roller and small lobe only. Pry up on the rocker to compress the spring on the slipper till the roller touches the cam and measure between the rocker and top of the valve on both the slipper and roller with a 90deg feeler gage. Measure between the roller and cam, don't worry about the slipper but then get the smallest feeler gage you can and make sure both valve stems are touching the rocker evenly. Depending on where you measure you use different clearances.
    Its mind numbing!
    The guy that modded the car asked how the car was, (the guy I bought it from had it only 5 months he was 6 feet 5 in with a size 15 shoe) I told him about the cam, he was very surprised, he told me the cam only had about 2k on it, well thats good news.
    There are probably several reasons the cam can wipe. Low or no ZDDP in the oil, oil to cool on the street, among some other theories.

So here is where I am. No Toyota dealer in Memphis carries the buckets so I can adjust the valves so I ordered them yesterday, hope I measured correctly. I have a oil thermostat that will block the oil from the coolers to maintain 200f oil temp I will be installing. A oil gage I will be adding so I know the oil is hot enough before I party. Lastly I got some Lucus oil additive with ZDDP that I will add to the Motul 5w 40 oil I am running. I hope these measures will help keep the cam in good shape.

I am taking the seats out to clean it up really good, I am starting to think the car had a hard life for 5 months. It has clear bra or as Lotus calls it star shield on it that has yellowed so I will be removing all that and detailing it. I haven't decided what I will put back on it.

But to answer your question.....

It is a no compromise car for the track that you can drive every day on the road(If you're a sadomasochistic). It is like driving a R53 on steroids. When you crank it up it sounds like a race car, one of the mods is a very aggressive exhaust. When you floor it the super charger screams so loud your brain ceases to function. Above 5k it is a beast. Its the loudest car I have ever been in, I guess thats due to no insolation between you and the aluminum monocoque. No power steering so you are very connected to the road. It is a great car.

We named it Speed because it's small and white and reminds us of Speed Racer's Mach 5.

I have had the car for a month and 2 days. For a week and half it was the funnest car I have ever had...........

Sorry for the long post but you guys asked. You can blame @old81

P.S.
    Now that I think of it it reminds me of that old top gear where the guys are in search of the perfect road. They each pick what they think will be the perfect car to drive when they find the road. James May shows up in an Austin Martin race car. He is miserable the whole time they are searching for this mythical road. In the end they find it. The show ends with Clarkson saying the happiest man in the world at that moment is May in the Austin Martin. Yea it will be a long ride to the Dragon....

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    You are correct about jacking them up. I watched a couple videos and rear before I tried to jack it up.

I found why it was lower on the right side. There is a snap ring that goes in a grove to hold the bottom spring seat. The snap ring some how came loose and let the bottom spring seat fall. I got the wheel off and fixed the spring seat. Took it on a couple rides and it is holding. I have a feeling it happened in transport.
    I eyeballed the adjustment when I reset the coilover. put the car on the ground and rolled it to settle it. I was 1/16 off on the hight. What luck!

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have done a lot of reading on these cars. They have a 1.8 Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine. Yamaha designed the head. It is an interesting design. The motors have a low speed and a high speed lobe on the cams. The high speed lobe is higher lift, longer duration and different timing. The high speed cam ,as they call it, comes on above 5000 RPM. Boy can you tell.
    The down side is they are prone to what is called cam wipe. It seems no one knows why it happens. It may be a combination of factors. One thought is the oil temp not getting hot enough during street use. It has 2 oil coolers up front. The other theories are: the OEM cams are not hard enough, not being oiled properly. They say to let the car get to running temp then run it another 10 min before getting on the second cam.
    Knowing this is a problem I pulled my valve cover off last week. Here is what I found.

IMG_8003.jpg
    That would be my intake cam. I have ordered a new cam, its an after market that is harder so they say it will not wipe as easy. $405 not to bad. I also ordered 4 new rockers I got upgraded ones also. The pad is bigger and harder. I could have got OEM ones for $75 each but I am not sure why this happened so I opted for the better ones at $195 each.:eek:
    I have also ordered a oil temp gage to install to make sure my temps are not too low. If they are I will install a higher oil temp thermostat or make covers for the coolers for the street.

So the fun starts. I am planing to do a test and tune track day in 3 weeks. I hope.....

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    The head is machined. The only hard part is the valves have tappets on top of the them you change to get the adjustment correct. Kind of like an Alfa, ho joy. I will probably mic all of them so when I put it back together and check the adjustment I will know what size to get before I tare it apart agin.

5. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Better to fix a perch than to buy 4 new coilovers and reset everything. Keep us up to date as you get it ready for track and daily driving. :)

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, if you're not running a cat, then just change to an oil with ZDDP already formulated in - that should stop it from eating the cam and rockers.

If you are still running a cat then you have to be careful with the ZDDP, but there are other additives that you can run with a cat to stop it killing the cam

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Cold oil, high RPMs, no ZDDP and a flat tappet cam are a recipe for disaster - I think you're on the right path.

ZDDP was an ingredient in oil for decades to prevent wear on flat tappet cams, all modern cams are roller so they don't need the anti-wear of ZDDP -except this one it seems, with it's combination of rollers and flats. Those of us with classic cars of all stripes know about ZDDP - it keeps our engines alive.

When I rebuilt the engine in Buzz - my 1980 Clubman Estate - the first thing I found was a knackered cam - due to running modern oil. Using the correct oil meant the next 25K went trouble free.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #54 MCS02, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    A small update. I have driven the car only a hand full of times. I am surprised how long it takes the oil to get to 200F. Its at least 15 min or maybe 20, this is with the thermostat installed. Normal running temp now is water about 195 oil 200-205
    It turns out I have an aftermarket aluminum oil pan with baffles. The stock pan takes 4.5qt. This one I think takes 5gal. Ok maybe not that much.
    I had it out a few days ago when it was cool mid 70's I believe. There were a few times the oil temp dropped about 5deg. When winter comes I may have to make covers for the oil coolers.
    I have noticed several other Lotus owners also have Minis.
    I learned today that a first and second Gen mini has a lower CD than the my Exige. Mini .33 Exige/Elise .44. I haven't found numbers for the Helmet I don't know if the windshield being racked back would lower the numbers or not.

I reached out to the owner that did all the mods (one before the guy I got it from) to see if he still had a list of what he did and where all the parts came from. He pointed me to his build thread but it is vague, he defiantly did it right but still not the info I want. He does want to sale me all the left over parts though.
    I have taken it to 7000 RPM a few times and to the shift light once 8500. The ECU adjusts it depending on the temp of the car there is no redline on the tach. So in a day or two I will pull the valve cover and make sure every thing is still good.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Well I have some small things I am sorting out. It has a blower for the intercooler. It has a switch between the seats to turn it on. It was not working. Found the fuse for the power outlet blown. Replaced it and the blower fan works. But as soon as I plugged in my V1 it blew agin. I think the guy that did the mods must be running the power for the fan off the power outlet. I will have to pull it apart and see what's up.
    I was told the car was aligned and cornered weighed. I dont think so. The right rear is 1.5 in lower then the left. with me in the car it is about 3/4 lower. It looks like the right side is already adjuster up a little more than the left. I wont know till I get it on a lift. You have to be careful where you jack them up. I dont see anything that looks bent so I believe it is ok just out of adjustment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Are they roller rockers? maybe add a small amount of ZDDP to the oil next change - it's an anti wear additive absolutely necessary for flat tappet cams, not usually needed on roller tappets but maybe it will help?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes ZDDP is great stuff. It was removed from oil because it kills catatonic converters over time.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the update Lee. Never been a fan of snake oil, but the ZDDP snake oil seems like a good move.

As far as the the last owner putting a new cam in 2,000 miles ago, well I call bull shirt on that. As far as adjustment of the valves go, heck there are 16 so one or two are bound to come out right. ;)

I have no doubt you'll get this buttoned up & running sweet. There will always be another track day.

Not sure I could handle as much noise as your car makes. Maybe add some sound deadening to make it more livable.

Good luck Lee, oh & we expect progress reports from time to time. :)

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 6 / -5
    Funny and very very true.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    This is from a couple weeks ago during the SCCA Track Night America. Full disclosure I changed the sky.

083A8482-Edit.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 6 / -5
    Nice ride.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Getting in, no pRoblem. Get out well it ant a pretty sight.

With me in it the right side is 3/4 lower at the back and 1/4 in the front. I am going to have to adjust that.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Not sure. I am going to take it to a friends house to look every thing over. He has a lift and everything to weigh it and do an alignment.

18. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Great looking car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Lotus does make a beautiful, purposeful-looking car. Congrats!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Sorry your cams have had a lobectomy. Nice that it's a relatively easy fix, all except the money part. Any car really needs the oil up to operating temp before you let er rip.

Do those cams have bearings or is the head machined for lack of a bearing?