The Lowly Gentlemen Austin Mini build is underway

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Nathan, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

THE DAILY GRIND: TAKING THE FIRST STEPS

It's been almost a year since I first found the little car in a classified ad, sitting somewhere in the middle of Kentucky just waiting for me. The Classic Mini I had always wanted was finally mine and it was time to enjoy it. As the months ticked by, I took it out on the weekends to get a feel for it, and I'd browse through magazines, forging plans for the inevitable build that would ensue. Slowly but surely I have collected parts here and there in anticipation, and the time has finally come to take the plunge and begin the build.

[​IMG]

With plans in mind to convert the car to disc brakes while maintaining the archless body, I knew higher offsets would need to accompany the wider track width that would result. It was time to return to the enjoyable hunt for wheels that often consumes our time. The excitment of browsing through wheel classifieds is one of great anticipation as you scroll through the options and search for the perfect set, or stumble on a hidden deal. Faced with the task of finding 10-inch wheels, I found myself on the Yahoo Auctions of Japan, a source filled with a plethora of unique and odd-ball wheel options. Often times, the language barrier, bidding difficulties, and overseas shipping ventures are enough to scare enthusiasts away from the Yahoo finds, but I reached out to Mastermind USA to help in my search. With their connections in Japan and their years of experience with overseas imports, the only difficult step of the process is the anxious wait as your new wheels make their journey across the Pacific. One night, a perfect set of 10x4 Impul Pro Mesh wheels came into sight, and it looked like their offsets fit the bill. Before I knew it, the bid was placed and I had ended my search.

Read More at Stance Works - The Lowly Gentlemen Austin Mini build is underway

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Very cool story. Thanks for sharing!

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter