The Magnetic Badge Trading Thread

Discussion in 'Collectables' started by dickdavid, May 5, 2009.

1. dickdavid

dickdavid Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Art Director
    Richardson, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This started over on NAM and now I'm bringing it here for a fresh start.

Hello all you Magnetic Motoring Badge Fans.

Some of you may have been following the Show off your Motoring Badge Collection... thread on NAM and saw SPF ZERO's post about TRADING BADGES. I thought this was a great idea and decided to start a thread about it.

I didn't think it would work, but we went ahead and tried. For a while, it was going like crazy, but eventually slowed down. I'm hoping that with a new forum, we'd be able to revive interest in this.

The purpose of this thread is to:
    1) Gauge interest in doing a badge trade.
    2) A place for folks to gauge interest in their own badge offerings so that they can determine a quantity to produce.
    3) A place for folks to post their badge or potential badge that will be offered for trading
    4) A place for folks to post their personal badge that they might want to sell
    5) A place for folks to post their personal badge to give away (*cough* vendors *cough*)

Why would I want to trade badges?
    Generally, the idea brings back the days of baseball cards, bottle caps or happy meal toys where we would get doubles in our collections and trade them to get the missing pieces.

But that's not the only reason. Say you're proud of your hometown, you're local club, you're MINI or just love mountain biking, sky diving, your cat, recycling or eating fajitas. Maybe you're having an event that you want to promote. Whatever the reason, now you can get badges and not worry about a minimum production quantity. You can turn 9 or more of the same badge into 9 different badges.

Where can I get custom badges made?
    Well, that's a good question. There are quite a few vendors that offer badges, but not custom, personal designs. Some of them will produce badges for you but with either or a setup fee and a minimum quantity. Todd, with Motoringbadges.com has made badges for my local club. Ed, with Cooper Flags has made some for our local events and is now offering [ame="http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144799"]custom badges[/ame] with a pretty low minimum order. Whoever you choose, contact them and see if they can work with you. A couple of folks have made their own badges as well.

Who would want my badge?
    That's what I'm not sure about. I tried to think about what kind of badges I would like to get from other folks. My personal choice would be:
    1) badges from friends I've made on this board
    2) club badges
    3) event badges
    4) interest badges - biking, sports, autocross, etc
    5) product/vendor promotion badges - if somebody could get away with producing an Apple Computer badge, I'll trade with you.
    6) art badges
    7) R50 pride badges (R53 if I drove an S)
    8) MINI pride badges
    9) Great motoring message badges - the kind that aren't already covered by the badge vendors

These are MY personal choices and I'm sure others would have a different take on this. Post your thoughts here.

The point I'm trying to make is to be a little more general with your badge choices. That should increase your chances of a trade.

What the heck is a Magnetic Motoring Badge?
    Think of them as 'flair' for your MINI. They are a way for folks to swag their MINI's with various messages, but without the clutter of multiple decals. For more info, I can give you links from where it all started to the newest provider.

Good luck and happy trading!

2. Cooper Flags

Cooper Flags New Member

May 11, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check out our Badge! FREE! just pay $1 shipping!

[​IMG]

Happy Motoring!