The New Daytona

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Minidave, Feb 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Over the winter they repaved the track, and now it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.....

In the past, when you'd watch the NASCAR boys, the fast way around the track was to get in a line of cars, and you'd see 10, even 20 cars in one long line bumper to bumper at 200 mph!

That was the old way....

I don't know why resurfacing the track would cause this change, but it seems the fastest way around the track is now 2X2.....if you get three or more you go slower!

So you see this incredible ballet going on, with various drivers trying to pair up with just the right guy (or gal, Danica ran the Nationwide today and finished pretty well - 14th I think) and the right pair can run from dead last to first in just 5 or 10 laps.

Another interesting strategy seems to be two pair, running side by side at the front. Not only will the track now allow this, but the 5&6 car can't get past them - there's no room....

Also, the car behind can't stay there for too many laps or it will overheat, so they have to change places every few laps with the front guy going to the back and vice versa. Hence the ballet reference, btw....

Another interesting problem, not all the front bumpers line up well with all the rears. I can't tell you which ones work best with which, but the wrong one will spin the car in front out, it gets too far under and literally lifts the rear tires of the front car off the ground! whoops! Around he goes....

It's a whole new ballgame in NASCAR tomorrow, at least at Daytona. Should be one hell of a race!

Anybody besides me going to watch?

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I had nothing to do last Saturday evening so I watched the Bud Shootout.:crazy:

Pretty crazy the way one car can do nothing, 3 or more can do nothing & 2 together run away. It's an odd thing for sure. With the new pavement it seems that 3 abreast is possible. I'm guess in they will tear up a lot of machinery.

I have programmed the DVR.....

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yes expect a lot of carnage and I will be watching!!

Sorta like trailer racing...LOL

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'll bet old Fireball Roberts, sure wishes he were still out there. :cornut:

Jim

5. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The old track was sorely uneven and bumpy and not very grippy (is that a word?). That's why cars couldn't get real close to each other but found happiness in packs.

Now that the track is evened out and all bumps removed it is remarkably flat/smooth. And it is very grippy (there's that word again).

I'm looking forward to watching this race. There should be lots of lead changes and three wide racing. After last years debacle this should be a real fine and fun race.

Pass the chips and nacho cheese dip please.

....Les

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #6 goaljnky, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    I caught the shoot out. I found it surprisingly entertaining. If it doesn't warm up enough tomorrow for me to wax the cars, I just might watch the 500.

7. Michigan Mini

Michigan Mini New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Health Care
    Lathrup Village, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am going to watch for sure! A nap after work and I am ready.

The problem, IMHO, is NASCAR has gone about slowing the cars the wrong way. Instead of restrictor plates and such, they should mandate the front 'valance' (their term) shid be no less than 4 inches from the track surface and the rear spoiler should be removed.

What has made Daytona and Talledega parades is aerodynamics. The 'taxi sign' remedy was interesting but ugly. The wings were good but only in one direction.

Take away all the aero stuff and let's see who the bravest is going I to turn three. :D

Cheers!
    Chris

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    "Synchronized racing" the announcers just called it! :D

9. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    DVR'ing right now, just got home...

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Trevor who??????

Congrats buddy! Helluva way to start your Piston Cup career! :Thumbsup:

11. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Very cool win!!! His second cup race and a 20 year old wins the 500 in the #21 Wood Brothers Motorcraft Ford. The last time the Wood Brothers visited victory lane at Daytona was with David Pearson driving!!! Trevor didn't win by a fluke either, he was fast all week and fast all day!

A star is born... ;)

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    By tomorrow Hendrick will have him signed up!

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Cat in the hat... it was his motor. ;)

14. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Too bad the Army car didn't win. Since my tax dollars are paying for it. FAIL

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #15 minimark, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    Would be nice to see the Army car in victory lane!! Read where the Army says their involvement in NASCAR is the single best, most cost effective dollars they spend in getting new recruits!! Most recruits per dollar than any other program they invest in and with an all volunteer Army and the conditions around the world; we need all the brave young folks we can find... ;)

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Did anyone else see the video of the goldfish in the bowl mounted inside a racecar going around the track showing how smooth it was?

It was hilarious.....damn thing was almost sideways in the bowl in the banking!

Found it.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1dcUQrDmM[/ame]

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    LOL ....and I liked the way they said: "No Goldfish were hurt during filming."

18. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe they didn't have the fish in a helmet, seatbelt and Hans device.
    What were they thinking?? :smilewinkgrin:

19. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Wonder if Freddie feels "G" forces?

20. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That car should be coming off the track soon. They announced today that by 2014, the current strength of the Army will be reduced by 27K troops. :frown2:

Jim