Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #1085 BlimeyCabrio, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Spent most of the day buttoning up stuff in the cabin, and in the boot.

Wired power to my Zeitronix controller, plugged in the wideband O2 and EGT sensors and the gauge display.
    [​IMG]

Plugged in my boot hatch, got the plate lights and boot release working, installed trim inside the boot area, cut and drilled new floor panel for the new meth location, cut felt cabrio rear side panels to fit. The rest of the rear will be carpeted, with custom side panels, at a later date. And the whole thing will be covered with the custom tonneau.
    [​IMG]

Experimented with the stereo headunit, determined that it would work with the CD player removed, and that the faceplate is easy to reposition, one ribbon cable.
    [​IMG]

Cut the "ceiling" out of the mounting slot, to free up space to angle stuff upward over the roll cage crossbar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chopped the chassis so there would be clearance when it angles upward.
    [​IMG]

Cabled it up and slid it into place.
    [​IMG]

Install faceplate, and it looks totally OEM, but isn't.
    [​IMG]

Cockpit is pretty much done, except for trimming the bottom edge off the door pads, so they clear the door bars.
    [​IMG]

Partially unwrapped one of the armrests and trimmed the foam and plastic, then trial fitted it. Looks good. I'll finish both of them up tomorrow. I'll shave the exposed bosses on the bottom of the door handle tube, so it's smooth when you grab it, and will figure out how to affix the pad securely without the lower row of clips.
    [​IMG]

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Had a glorious drive today...
    B3C3212E-C637-4767-8740-D5734C5E0E81_zpsyz2jttdt.jpg

50 degrees, seat heater works. :)
    Drove about 50 spirited miles. Clutch didn't slip, axles didn't pop out, no parts got pulled off the car, and I didn't take flight.

The car handles great with the added caster. Steering feel is fantastic, turn-in is even more direct.

And the car is crazy fast. I can't adequately describe it, because that would incriminate me. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when the TVS and Vipec are on... I kinda love it. :D

I've spent the last couple of days organizing the garage, getting it ready to actually be a place where two cars can park. First complete garage clean out and re-org in 15 years. Still have 2-3 days of work to do, it's a big job. And then have to do my workshop, probably a few more days in there. But, eventually, the Mini will park in there like it did before all this foolishness started.

Just a sample of the wonders that were in there... 10 years worth of brake rotors for several Minis, BMWs, Chryslers, Hyundais...
    B2574E9E-381A-4696-966D-3E27486995A5_zps4vylamnd.jpg

3. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Permanent plate finally arrived...

BBF608B2-87EF-478A-836F-E41F4C089D68_zpscwmi4pn5 (1).jpg

When it comes to GPness.... Go big, or go home.

4. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Making the cage pretty...

Started the day nasty and rusty like this...
    [​IMG]

After first wipe-down with Super Clean, it was a bit better...
    [​IMG]

Then scrubbed with Super Clean and a red ScotchBrite... got more stuff off...
    [​IMG]

Sanded with 220 grit and wiped down with naphtha. Finally fairly clean...
    [​IMG]

Then two cans of VHT self-etching primer...
    [​IMG]

Scuff with red ScotchBrite, and two cans of high-build primer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much better. Done for today. Tomorrow, will do base and clear coats.

I love this junction... my head will be safer inside here...
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah... and mats for the track came...
    [​IMG]

5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Paint sample! Beautiful unfaded Thunder Blue. Which never looks right in pictures, including this one! But just trust me... It's right.
    82EE4F4B-D581-48DB-9D30-CC60DFC5F80B_zpsddfxrzup.jpg

Gave them the thumbs-up to make the car this color. It will be awesome.

And another box of parts from Steven at eMINIParts.com! Battery box under panel, brackets for GP underbody panels, and cowl beltline clips.
    45DB23C1-E6B0-4EA2-B2B4-1D5DA1B76C7F_zpsekvvgz7s.jpg

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Paint is DONE.
    97B14935-3158-489E-AEE9-6F716ADD29D9_zpsersvxpl0.jpg

Well, body paint is done. I still have mirror caps and bumper trim to paint soon.

Nervous drive home.... I could envision bad things happening as I towed it... But none did.
    B5A2A784-DDE0-4018-B049-0C9BD2A340FE_zpsb43bjpau.jpg

Back in the garage, time to get busy.
    48491FF2-D0C4-49CE-9FBA-CD2C011E5EC6_zpsr6jakxlk.jpg

I have to finish up my front door project and attend a funeral for a friend today. Might be tomorrow before I start making progress.

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #993 BlimeyCabrio, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    OK, I just can't stop. Went back out and spent another hour working on the rear convertible top hoop. After copious application of vise, big azz wrench, cheater bar, body weight, and come-along, I got it straightened sufficiently to fit. :cornut:

Now I can have rear beltline trim, 3rd brake light, and something to connect my tonneau cover to...

3F434437-4B02-447A-850E-F1CCD33C65A6_zpstoot0mey.jpg

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Another big box from Steven at eMINIparts!
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty exciting, yes?

Well, it looks better on the car....
    [​IMG]

All new arch trim. Took a few minutes out from working on work stuff, to snap it on. Huge improvement. Starting to look like a car...

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Summer sandals came! Because, January.
    Complete with idiot stickers.

4FB344D1-CC32-4EC6-90C4-BB4DCF88C426_zpswj8zmfr1.jpg

Kosei K4R in dark gray, 16x7.5, shod in Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs, 225/45R16

I like how they look in person, even more than how they looked in pics. More aggressive than I expected. And tons of clearance for brakes and struts, when used with 10mm spacers up front. Could probably get away with 7mm.

Ride height isn't set for them here, and I didn't settle the suspension. Just dropped the lift a bit to get an idea of how they will look.

29A7B047-A3FB-4831-9721-E8B0BB12321E_zpszotwxp5r.jpg B589F95E-08F9-4378-BA1A-F0392C8F9088_zpsrqnmqt77.jpg

And, light.
    5D691780-7AC1-4F17-9312-DEBE1D3E9787_zpsqjzhqroq.jpg

So here's the full collection of wheels for the GP Roadster: GP 18" wheels w/ 225/18R40 Michelin Pilot Sports for winter, the K4R / Star Specs for Summer, and 949 Racing 6UL 15x8 with Nitto NT01 225/45R15 for the track.

FE2678DC-5008-41A8-8FC7-8F6278F4A011_zpsbe3jzdrh.jpg

The GP wheel / tire combo is 6 pounds per corner heavier than the summers:
    0377F9CD-1FF0-444F-935A-DAEA0BBF99CC_zpsumhehvxk.jpg

And the track combo is 4 pounds per corner lighter!
    5B5B9D34-1F3B-4AC9-B053-112EC37320E1_zpshb6flsln.jpg

And the rest of my Mini Fini hitch arrived. This is nice stuff. My old car had a MiniDoMore hitch. I never really paid attention to how the Mini Fini stuff attached. It's really well thought out. I cut down and re-drilled the drawbar from my old hitch, to minimize extension.

CE60F64F-B239-4AB7-ADB7-7D272D3C63E6_zpss2cx4jwo.jpg

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #1174 BlimeyCabrio, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Indeed, I did.

I've had a converted fridge for about 10 years... but it's on its last legs. Took a couple of days off from working on the Mini this week, to build a new one...

Had an old compact chest freezer that was full of old food that we'll never eat...
    So cleaned it out and gave it an extreme makeover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Swapped the hinges so the lid opens to the side, sanded and treated rust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Repainted it satin black...
    [​IMG]

Rewired the compressor, added a digital temperature controller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upgraded my existing 2-way picnic faucet 10 pound CO2 system with new 4-way manifold, and additional couplers for a third keg (either Sankey or Cornelius ball lock).
    [​IMG]

Installed new air cooled tap tower, with three Perlick flow control faucets, and drip tray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have some stainless rails I'm going to add around the top tomorrow. Then will be done.

I kinda get carried away, sometimes. :devil:

It's hella nice. Have Carolina Brewing Company Oktoberfest, and Fortnight Brewing Company English Ale on tap now. Started a batch of Wellzy Compound cider and will have that on tap in a couple of weeks. Will empty out the old fridge and it will go bye-bye. More space for garage gear!

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    "First in flight"..... So fitting....:Thumbsup:

12. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    OK, now here's some freaky *****... <cue Twilight Zone music>

Last summer, I started "the Transmogrification of Blimey". At the time, I said that my vision was to build a "GP Roadster"... something like a cross between a first gen cabrio, and a 2006 JCW GP. Then, after the first track day in my mostly complete "GP Roadster", my automatic transmission dies. After 7 months of fighting with it, I decide last Sunday to convert to manual. I need a donor car. I figure out how to search auctions and come across what is one of probably only a couple of GPs to be salvage auctioned this year... and it's up for sale in three days. I get a wild hair and decide I must win this car, no matter what. I could use it to really convert my car into a GP, I think. I pay a ton to get the car. I win it on Wednesday. It will be here tomorrow.

Earlier this week, after joking about it with my buddies, I registered the domain "GPRoadster.com" and directed it to the BlimeyCabrio.com blog. I haven't updated that blog since 2009, but figured I'd start updating it with my new project. The last entry? When I installed GP rear trim on Blimey, in 2009.

Tonight, I decide to try to figure out which GP it is. You can't see the roof numbers in any of the photos I have. Coincidentally, the car was in Cleveland, where my Burning River buddies are. And they happen to know the former owner (who only had the car for three months). They put him in touch with me. I trade messages with him, get the GP# (GP0769) and also the contact info for the original owner.

I call the original owner, who purchased the car new and owned it for 8 years. After 10 minutes on the phone, we realize something...

About 4 years ago, I purchased a used OEM JCW exhaust on the marketplace here, and put it on Blimey. Blimey ran this exhaust for 3 years. Just took it off after MOTD last year when the mufflers finally failed, and put on the Miltek, as one of the first steps in the GP Roadster project.

The guy I was talking to on the phone? He's the same guy who sold me the exhaust, 4 years ago.

That's correct. You read that right. I ran the OEM exhaust off THIS SAME MINI GP for three years. Until I began the "GP Roadster" project, and took it off for a better exhaust. And now I'm going to use the rest of THAT SAME GP to complete the GP Roadster conversion of my cabrio.

Oh yeah, and this. GP Steve had this GP posted for sale on MA back in October. In the sale thread, Chuck posted this:
    Fate. Saint John Cooper is steering this cosmic MINI from wherever he is.

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Great day today. Took Blimey out for his last run as an automatic, and hammered in 3rd gear for about an hour. Then brought him home, and backed him in next to the donor, to begin the transplant.
    [​IMG]

Decided to start with the brain transplant, since that's the part I was the iffiest about. Installed the GP's ECU, EWS, cluster, ignition cylinder and key... and started right up! Ran like crap because the tune is all wrong for the engine that's in there... but it ran. Which is a great sign. And I successfully reinitialized the GP key to lock and unlock with the remote. Win.

Reinstalled the dash, this time for good.
    [​IMG]

Re-learned how to use my remote tuning tool, and downloaded the ECU. Emailed off to Jan for tuning magic.
    [​IMG]

Pulled out the parcel shelf, and a rat's nest of cables fell out. Eight years of electrical mods. Time to unravel and uninstall some of that (GPS, radar detector remotes, laser jammer, CB radio... ).

14. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #458 BlimeyCabrio, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Today's episode shows just how extreme this whole project has become.

One side effect of the manual swap is my cruise control doesn't work. I doubt it will ever work, it depends on the clutch pedal switch, and wiring that doesn't exist in the automatic body harness. And I don't plan to swap body harnesses...

Anyway, without cruise, the only thing left on the multifunction steering wheel buttons that I care about is volume control. So I had planned to delete the MFSW buttons, and install the JCW carbon fiber trim (thanks Dave.O!).

But I also have my now-nonfunctional paddle shifters left. I wonder if I can make them control the stereo volume?

So, time to do some research and testing on wiring again.

This would be easy if both the paddles and the volume control were plain old dumb switches that were wired directly to the transmission and radio. But, alas, not the case. The paddles work sort of like that, but the MFSW button cluster is "smart" and communicates with the body module digitally over the car's K-bus.

The Cruise Control pod is the "smart" one that generates K-bus messages:
    [​IMG]

The audio/phone pod is "dumber" - it appears that it acts sort of like a slave to the cruise pod, and presents different resistances in response to different button presses, which are interpreted by the cruise pod. Or something like that.

So I need to make some analog switches activate a function that is driven over the K-bus. Quandary...

Now, there's an elegant way to do this. That would be to connect the paddles to some kind of interface that's programmed to generate the proper K-bus messages. I believe are some third party devices out there that communicate with the K-bus. I could have researched that, found something, and bought it, but I'd still need to interface with the paddles somehow. Which would require some wiring, etc.

Instead, I opted for the brute-force method.

Let's look at the audio/phone control board.
    [​IMG]

The little gold pads on this board are simple SPST switches. when you push the button, a conductive rubber mat contacts the pads and closes the circuit. Each button has two pads under it that are both closed, I assume this provides some redundancy for reliability and better user interface (you don't have to push straight on for it to work well). I confirmed through testing that shorting EITHER pad triggers the desired function.

I also confirmed via testing that the Red/Green/Brown harness that connects the two paddle shifters behaves like a couple of DPDT switches are connected to it. When you pull either shifter, it completes a circuit on the brown and green wires. When you push either shifter, it completes a circuit on the red and green wires.

Sooooo.... If I can connect this set of wires to the proper pads on the volume control unit, the paddles will act as switches to close the proper circuits... and it SHOULD work... right?

Time to get serious. Got out my soldering station, and some fine, insulated solid copper wire. I picked one volume up and one volume down pad, and soldered two leads to half of each pad. The other half of the pads I bridged together and tied in a single lead to that. Ended up with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did some testing, rewired a bit, and when working, I taped it all up.
    [​IMG]

You can tell hacking has occurred when the kitchen table looks like this...
    [​IMG]

Back-probed the wires into the plug in the paddle harness, and taped it up so they stay put. Plugged the standard harness back into the circuit board.

Here's the result:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBDhmdf7as"]Locutus' Shift Paddle Volume Control Hack[/ame]

Happy Dance.

I tape wrapped the cruise control unit also, and got rid of the shells and extraneous parts from the pods. Eventually these tape-wrapped boards will be hidden by the carbon fiber trim.
    [​IMG]

The result will be very clean and functional... but getting there was something of a hack. :cornut:

15. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

16. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #569 BlimeyCabrio, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Well, this arrived...

87772994-586B-44D4-90C1-7B538D73EBDE_zps9g2k5o5u.jpg 9041EAAC-2537-40C1-85C4-C9B61DBF8C2F_zpsxdm0m8g4.jpg 5BC0907E-EEA6-4C36-8637-75AB7BB57AE0_zpsnam1yodv (3).jpg 093CA72A-F3EF-4146-B101-66C245B16C00_zpstppp77vq.jpg

RMW 1.8 stroker w/high lift Dominator cam, new rockers, LawdJeeezusMFinBootlegFireworks Head, 550cc injectors, plugs, gaskets, OS Giken LSD and RMW axles.

Custom RMW race header and brake ducts are on the way.

17. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    So some expert who shall remain nameless (Colin) said "Why would you put all the stuff on it first. What a pain that would be going back in."
    50F154D8-B6C5-4689-8882-D1C241400243_zpse8so9y0q.jpg

It took me 10 MINUTES to hang the engine, with all the stuff on it, solo. SRSLY.
    F1C24FA4-3D9C-4A56-B3C9-16046786F155_zpsorqzwwhq.jpg

It was an experiment, really. I've always done it the "conventional" way, taking lots of stuff off first to take it out, and putting all that stuff (intake, supercharger, throttle body, etc) back on after the engine was in place. But I really didn't think it would be an issue hanging the engine with it on there. And it wasn't, I just had to use a different hanging point to balance it.

Also installed the 1 billion horsepower RMW axles.
    5151AC69-EAC1-4EC4-91B7-B248852C92D4_zpsmnulwrqs.jpg
    Had to fight the passenger side axle bracket snap ring for about an hour. Geesh. But it's done.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love having a lift?
    7E41EE35-3C7F-4796-8BC6-F0F35848A276_zpsb5uhduzu.jpg

18. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Wife: UPS left you another big box while you were out.
    Me: Huh? I don't know of anything that should be coming today???

Well, Santa arrived, and was good to me. ERMAGERD

F1C00484-61C4-478D-A54B-95A9888F6CB4_zpsbzana48t.jpg CA4E815C-6715-4136-83D0-E3341A3AB811_zpsapyqa5g9.jpg

RMW race header back from Swain Tech with the White Lightning coating. It is RIGHTEOUS.
    They did a spectacular job. Masked all the right stuff, removed the collector and masked the primaries where they should, and didn't lose the bolt. Not cheap... but really really good. This coating is so much nicer than the run-of-the-mill ceramic I could have had done locally. Glad I bit the bullet. Took a month from the time I shipped it, until it came back. So don't be in a hurry...

19. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Just a couple more weeks of hurry-up-and-wait, then this thread will get VERY interesting again...

20. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #1022 BlimeyCabrio, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Just a couple of hours yesterday, got the right parcel shelf fitted. LOTS of trimming required, but will be invisible when it's all done - I'll line the shelf with felt, probably.

A26F3CEE-DD74-43B2-AE90-7A04A455D6A2_zpsux0poeih.jpg

Confirmed that the stereo head unit will not fit in there, with the cage knee bar in the way. Need to find another home for it. I ordered an under-dash mount and will see how that works hanging on the bottom of the right side parcel shelf.

Today, spent a couple of hours this morning cleaning out the car and fitting the carpet. Just needed to remove some foam padding from the back, didn't have to cut it to fit around the front cage pillars.

This afternoon, installed the side sill covers. They required much fitting, but look good now that they're done. Also installed accelerator and dead pedals. Starting to look more like a car...

8AC21570-6D20-4DE3-843F-0CA4A37A97D7_zpsoqeybzgi.jpg

Hope to substantially complete the front interior tomorrow, then can get started on the suspension and engine bay.