The shadowy third guy at TSW

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Mike, May 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Folks over at NAM may have wondered why Scott and Jeff refer often to a guy named Dr. Mike who supposedly designs many of the TSW items, and yet that person rarely shows up on NAM to help people, or to talk about TSW stuff. So who is this DrMike character, anyway?

First of all, my apologies for not rocking out at NAM more often, but honestly I shy away from the place due to the shamelessness of some of the people who post regularly there.

I speak not for TSW but just as a regular guy. The flamebaiting and trolling are so bad sometimes that it all looks like an elementary school playground to me, with all the bullies, sissies, brats, losers, and whiners one would expect at the playground. It really takes the fun out of the experience for me sometimes.

NAM is still a great place to visit. To be clear, the relationship between TSW and NAM is, and has been, a very good thing.

Having said all that, I am VERY excited about the launch of MA, and I do plan to be here a LOT. Hopefully I can shed more light on why I make the engineering choices that I do, and how the designs I create can help us to enjoy our MINIs that much more. Also, I would like to be here to give technical support to our customers.

That's that. But who the heck am I?

I am a mechanical engineer, working at a small aerospace company in the Mojave desert, California. I spend most of my time designing, building, and testing rocket propulsion systems, as well as other systems and components for rocket-powered vehicles, including launch vehicles. When I'm not doing that, I'm at home dreaming up new parts for MINIs and other cars. I grew up in my dad's car shop/speed shop, so racing and performance cars are just in my blood.

For the record, I am not a real doctor. The nickname "Dr. Mike" stuck when I was working on a PhD in engineering (which I still have not finished!)

Anyway, I'm SOOOOOO glad to be here, and I'm looking forward to the future of Motoring Alliance.

2. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Welcome and good to see you come out from under the rocket in the desert to introduce yourself. So if anyone asks if there's a doctor in the house we shouldn't look at you, got it. :D

3. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    dr. mike: glad to see you here. i know it is not rocket science, but shouldn't you post something in the "brakes" thread as the brake abuser of all time? if you cannot break it, it works for everyone.
    greg

4. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    drmike:

First of all, I love TSW and all you guys stand for. I've spent much time on the phone with Jeff about modding my suspension and the best directions to go. I've never actually gone in any of said directions, but that's my problem because I'm cheap and paying for grad. school...:( It was so refreshing a few years ago to call you guys up trying to buy a fancy suspension only to be told, "learn to drive first." I just think that's cool, so you have my business as far as I'm concerned. I rock my TSW shirt all over the place, just so you know.

Secondly, I saw some photo album a long time ago (no idea how I found it) about how you (I think it was you) came to figure out that the MINI could benefit from a big valve head. It was so over my head (pun intended, I suppose) and impressively done that I thought to myself, "I trust what this guy does to his car..." If that wasn't you, then, well, I feel stupid.

So please help us trackaholics take the right paths to safe/fun/quick track cars.

- Marc

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nathan: Multi-quote ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! I love it.

Greg: I'm sure there are many contenders for "brake abuser of the year" but, yeah, I'm guilty of killing the brakes on every car I've owned so far. You are right, I should do a tech piece on brakes.

Marc: Don't feel stupid, your memory serves you well. Here's the page you remembered: MeV Engineering and Performance

Also here's a page on porting the head: MeV Engineering and Performance

I wish I had that head on my car!

6. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping you were a rocket surgeon. Not too many of those around

7. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    More like a rocket minnow. Oh right, you said surgeon.

8. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :lol:

9. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    oh, just for good measure...

[​IMG]

10. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    HAHAHAHA love it!

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't get him started...he's got a million of those images

12. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna call him FauxDr.Mike now that I know the whole story....

:devil:

But Dr. or not... I love his stuff. And the products he designs, too.

13. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Finish your dissertation, or I will call my father, retired full professor at LSU, and he will give you a stern talking to.

My dad always said, your graduate student should score between 1100 and 1300 on the GRE.

"Why?" I asked.

"Well son, if they don't score at least 1100, they don't have what it takes to finish"

"That's understandable, why less than 1300?"

"Any more than 1300 and they're just too weird."

"Dad, I got a 1410!"

"That's my point son."

Oh well. I did finish a Master's program, never did even start the terminal degree.

So, good job Dr. Mike!

14. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    +1 to that. Above 130 IQ is considered 'genius'. Above 150....many people start having behavorial issues...odd, unable to relate to others, etc.

I think Jerry and I combined exceed 150 which is why we're so dysfunctional. :lol:

15. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    welcome mike.. dont let those funny letters before or after your name go to your head.

16. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I got a 1460, so same boat as you I'm afraid.

17. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And we both did post grad work at SMU, the difference is that your design work is bolted on my car.

Press on, the rewards of obtaining the degree are hard to measure. But so are the rewards of parenthood. Good luck to you on both counts.

18. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just tried the multiquote woohoo!

In more disturbing news, they added a third test category to the SAT, so the max is bumped from 1600 to 2400. My daughter got a 2290, and has plans to reclaim the 110 points she left on the table (all in math).

I keep reminding myself that success is if she moves out...