Most liked posts in thread: The Ubiquitous Tip Jar

1. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I bought a starbucks coffee once just to see what all the buzz was about. Paid about 3 bucks for it. I'm used to a cup and a refill for 75 cents around here. Can't imagine regularly spending that much for coffee on purpose and throwing in a tip on top of that. The world's gone mad.

Now a good nut brown ale...well, that's another story.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I tip the mechanics that work on my car.
    I tip barbers that cut my hair.
    I tip bartenders, waiters and waitress very well and I even tell them in advance " I am a pain in the a$$, but it tip very well and I am not kidding"
    I tip the guy that gets me a cab in Vegas or NYC.
    I will give spare change to the Ronald McDonald house thing at the counter.
    I will even give homeless people spare change if I have some on me.

But I will not give anyone a tip if they have a jar out that says "tips" on it.

Here is a tip do your job and earn your pay and you will get ahead in life.

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Save going postal for when the mailman knocks on your door and asks for a tip. :crazy: That might not be too far off.

The only tip jar I find non-offending is the one at the muni club house bar and the one for the beer cart driver. Those poor gals putting up with a bunch of obnoxious old farts deserve all the tips they can get.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... I run an IT help desk... maybe I should try putting up a Tip Jar.

5. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    If anyone doesnt want their spare change I will gladly relieve you of it...Just send me a PM and I will send you my mailing info so that you can courier it to me...
    Have no fear - I will take extra good care of your spare change and give it a good home :D:lol:

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Interesting read:

How did the practice of tipping begin?

Etymologists trace the word "tipping" back to the street language of the medieval era, when it meant "hand it over." (It sort of means the same thing today.)

In 1972, an anthropology professor linked the words "gratuity" and "tip" in various languages to the act of imbibing. Each can be literally translated into terms that pertain to drinking -- tringeld in German, pourboire in French, for example. The Dutch word tippen (calling for service by tapping on a table) and the Latin word stips (meaning "gift") may also be related.

Whatever the origin of the word, the practice probably goes back to the first time one Neanderthal held a rock open for another Neanderthal. Or at least, as some evidence suggests, to the Roman Empire. The term has also been linked (though not by all word historians) to 18th-century England, where eating and drinking establishments put out brass urns inscribed with the phrase "To Insure Promptitude" (T.I.P.) for customers to leave money in.

According to this article by The New Yorker's James Surowiecki, tipping spread widely in the U.S. after the Civil War, despite those "who considered it a toxic vestige of Old World patronage." Back then, the practice was actually banned by six states.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Give her a bigger tip, maybe she will give you a smile:Thumbsup:

Mark

8. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Seems almost everybody is wanting a tip now a days,waiter/waitress
    laundrymat, hairdresser,pet groomer,masseuse,manicurest/pedicurest, car wash guy,bell boy,deck hand on the fishing boat, starter ( golf course ), paper man,pizza delivery,parking valet, bartender, whew where does it end..

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    You can learn something from who tips and how much. When I drove a Stretch Limo I found that those that I knew had small incomes tipped the most apparently appreciated the service and effort on my part to make it a memorable event. While those on the other side of the income scale used a calculator and did the minimum tip. It seemed no matter how many times I opened the door, smiled and kept a friendly manor those with larger incomes were cheap tippers.
    My favorite was bachelorette parties they all got drunk and tipped like crazy! :wink:

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    If a bartender is expecting a $1 for each drink served which fast food resturant will
    be the first to start expecting tips to hand you your food and drinks????

11. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Boycott

12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Ther was a "Third Rock From the Sun" in which John Lithgow is at a restaurant with Jane Curtin. He sets a stack of ones on the table and tells the waiter that that is his tip. Every time the waiter messes up, a dollar is removed from the stack.

I gotta try that sometime!:)

Dave

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That was an easy find...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI]3rd Rock From The Sun - Dick tips - YouTube[/ame]

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

I hate tip jars! And I hate servers who expect a certain percentage of the bill as a tip. A tip is a way of showing gratitude for a job well done. A job that was above and beyond the standard expectations. It is not an entitlement to pad a persons wage because they don't think they are making enough.

15. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    must be a TX thing. We have them here, but randomly. Not ubiquitous. I've never had someone solicit for a tip at a store like that. I'd have done the same thing if someone tried to do that.

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    There are tip jars just about everywhere here now, too.

I'm not offended by them.

But I would have probably gone postal like Nathan in the same situation...

17. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #6 nabeshin, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    I never tip outside the restaurant environment. I never order delivery, so that is not an issue. I tip at a restaurant only if the service was above and beyond, or if I personally liked the server. Tip jars are bad.

18. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    nabes... I hope you like the taste of phlegm, now that your tipping behavior is public record on the internets...

A little MS Paint illustration of this complex concept:
    [​IMG]

19. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    You all are so right, tip jars should go the way of the dinosaur. Tipping is for good service, if my watier is polite and service is good I leave a tip, if my BlackJack dealer has been kind to me (winning) I share. But a tip jar at Quick Trip, I think not...:nonod:

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I will have a lot to say, but this a weekend so I will save it for later.

The fact that 15% has become the norm despite of service received is ridiculous. 15% used to be reserved for good, courteous and timely service. Anything less got less and anything more was at your discretion. But the recent generation's sense of entitlement has corrupted even that concept.

More on that later.