The Ubiquitous Tip Jar

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    My local Dunkin Donuts has a tip jar with quotations around tips:

"tips"
    thank you.
    (smiley face)

I enjoy giving them "tips"

2. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I had paying with cash, i hate to carry change, If there is a jar, i'll drop the change just to get rid of. most the time i pay with card

3. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    If anyone doesnt want their spare change I will gladly relieve you of it...Just send me a PM and I will send you my mailing info so that you can courier it to me...
    Have no fear - I will take extra good care of your spare change and give it a good home :D:lol:

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Tipping - Who came up with THAT?!!

Ok, before you start bashing me I do tip and usually tip better then average, but not because I want too..

I'd like to meet the man that dreamed up the idea of "hey I'm not going to pay you min. wage and the customers will tip you and make up for it"

That being said how do YOU, come up with how much to tip??
    I know they say 15% or so might be 18% now some expect 20%

But think of this. You go to Chillis and you and your spouse get the 2 for $20 deal. Each drink tea and your bill would be about $24 plus or minus a bit.
    20% would be say $4.80

On your next visit the two of you had some sort of steak and the works it comes with and each had a couple of mixed drinks. Now you bill is $60, tips about $12

but your waitress didn't work any harder other then getting your drinks from the bar instead of pouring you refills of tea... Her tip just went up almost 3 times!!!!!!!!!!

Shouldn't there be some kind of time factored in as well. If you there holding up a table for 45 minutes vs 1-1/2 hours but spent the same money...

I for one have never worked for tips but if I did I'd want to do it at a place that had a high average cost per meal!!!

So what do you think about tipping and or how do you go about it...

5. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I think tipping is stupid-Let the place pay the employees

You are so right, When these people that own restaurants etc. price out their menu I'll bet they price it out to include at least the min wage paid to their employees.

They then get to pocket more profit when they only pay their wait persons $2.00 or so per hour.

This is why Fast Food places are sooooo busy, A lot of people don't eat at full service restaurants because they can't afford to pay 20% tips over the cost of the meal.

What is really bad is that the tax monster makes the wait person pay income tax on the amount of the checks the people they served spent. That means the poor waiter or waitress don't even get to keep all of the tip money. If a few people they wait on spend a lot on their check and don't leave a tip the wait person may not even break even.

The whole system just plain ""SUCKS"" big time and needs to be changed.:mad2:

6. anuppercasej

anuppercasej New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I've worked in the restaurant business for nearly 15 years and I've always thought the tipping thing was kind of crazy. I understand how it came about, it's a premium for better service, although it Isn't really like that anymore. This is the only country that tips 15-20% at a full service restaurant, everywhere else it is your job to serve food and drinks, so that's what you get paid for. Tips are only given for truly exceptional service and the tip amount is small.
    Depending upon where you live in the U.S. the minimum wages are different too. In Massachusetts tipped employees made $2.63/hr, but most still easily made more than me as an Assistant kitchen manager. In Oregon, where I live now, the servers get the the regular state minimum wage of $8.50/hr, so they make out pretty well here.

As far as taxes go, servers do not pay taxes on most of their cash tips. Tips on credit cards are reported to the IRS but servers are required to enter the amount of their cash tips at the end of their shift, most only report a small percentage, usually about 10-15% of what they actually collect in cash tips. There is also a little IRS pamphlet that servers are supposed to keep and track their tips if they are ever audited, but I can't say I've ever seen anybody do it. The biggest problem with not reporting all cash tips is that they make less money on paper, so if they need a loan or something it can make it more difficult to prove their actual income.

Everywhere I've worked servers are required to tip the bartender, but not anybody else who prepared items for their tables. I've never quite understood that.

And it seems like a recent trend to have tip jars popping up on the counters of all sorts of counter service places where tipping was never expected.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the tipping culture either...

---
    I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.494702,-122.767737"]Google Maps[/ame]

7. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    What's even worse...a tipping jar at Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, 7-Eleven, and a Gas Station?

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Here's a tip; if your not using your brakes your not going fast enough:devil:

Mark

9. tater tot

tater tot New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Tell Lois she didn't leave me tip today! Also tell her I sold all the soaps and will have more tom. morning if she knows anyone else who might want some soaps. P.S. no tip required!!!

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I am curious although I might have missed it reading the posts in this thread..who has ever tipped their mechanic for replacing a worn part, oil change shop, alignment technician or how about the service writer at the dealership after work performed on your MINI? After all these all may fall under some of the categories determining to tip or not according to some.

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    All those folks don't get payed less than minimum wage and yes I have slipped a tech a few extra bucks for a job well done. You can believe that they appreciate it and remember it in the future. ;)

The tip system was started and exist as a way to encourage good service, good service and a good tip go together but if they treat you poorly you voice your displeasure through the size of the tip.... Bad waiters don't last very long because they don't make any money.

12. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well said Mark. Some just expect the tip, regardless of the service and much to my wife's dismay, I tip according to the service and have left nothing a time or two.

Jim

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yikes....
    So, when you went back to eat there a second time, did the waitperson bring your food with a huge grin on their face? They do remember, you know....:D

14. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I'll agree entirely! I'll give you a tip, Mr. Dry Cleaner kid. Get an education and put it to use in an environment that pays you enough that you don't have to worry about a tip jar!

However, if you see no need to further your education, or get one at all, I see no need to subsidize your inadequate choice of vocation.

However, some fund raising jars I'll toss a coin or two in. But that's whole 'nother story!

15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    What I find interesting is how we are (or have) moved almost entirely to a service-based economy, yet the batch of high-school and college grads these days don't have a clue what the meaning of service is. That is a huge generalization and there are exceptions everywhere, but for the most part the future generation has a lot to learn about service.

16. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Just don't let it bother you-

I just ignore those tip jars just as I ignore those donation cans etc that people give money to and the money never gets to the charity it is collecting for.

If I get excellent above the call of duty service I do offer a tip, I do give to a worthy cause but I "DO" check it out first.

Like Nathon states:
    The person at the cleaners did not even thank him for his business so why should he get a tip for doing exactly what he was paid to do.

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Interesting read:

How did the practice of tipping begin?

Etymologists trace the word "tipping" back to the street language of the medieval era, when it meant "hand it over." (It sort of means the same thing today.)

In 1972, an anthropology professor linked the words "gratuity" and "tip" in various languages to the act of imbibing. Each can be literally translated into terms that pertain to drinking -- tringeld in German, pourboire in French, for example. The Dutch word tippen (calling for service by tapping on a table) and the Latin word stips (meaning "gift") may also be related.

Whatever the origin of the word, the practice probably goes back to the first time one Neanderthal held a rock open for another Neanderthal. Or at least, as some evidence suggests, to the Roman Empire. The term has also been linked (though not by all word historians) to 18th-century England, where eating and drinking establishments put out brass urns inscribed with the phrase "To Insure Promptitude" (T.I.P.) for customers to leave money in.

According to this article by The New Yorker's James Surowiecki, tipping spread widely in the U.S. after the Civil War, despite those "who considered it a toxic vestige of Old World patronage." Back then, the practice was actually banned by six states.

18. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    If they get no tip, then service was not good. If they learn from that, they will get one next time. If not, then as long as they bring the food, I don't care if they smile or not. :nonod:

Jim

19. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Think he's referring to the possibility of added condiments Jim.... :(

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah Jim, added condiments you didn't ask for.... And them doing lots of giggling from the kitchen....