The Ubiquitous Tip Jar

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Moving from white bread suburbia Texas where homelessness was something on the evening news to an artsy district in a mid-western city I did the same when I first got here. It didn't take long for me to get seen as a mark by the same pan handlers as this is a walking neighborhood. Did not take long for me to change my tune. Now instead of asking for money they talk about the weather. They still get nothing from me now except a pleasantry in return.

2. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    We have guys, and gals too for that matter that hangout at intersections holding a sign with some sad story on it wanting handouts... Sorry but your getting nothing from me, but maybe a coupon to McDonalds!! Way too many stories out there about these people making all kinds of money and or having fulltime jobs and just do this for spending money. I sat in a McDonalds and watched as a small SUV drove up 2 guys got out went to back and got out their signs and walked over to the intersection. The 2 guys that were already there got into the SUV and drove off...

3. anuppercasej

anuppercasej New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My wife and I always use to joke about the homeless around here having some sort of union. They get to pick their corners or on/off ramps and their hours based on their seniority. They would even have a van that picks them up and drops them off. As far as I know panhandling is not illegal around here so there seems to be a lot of it.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Seen the same thing. A van would stop, four people would get out, one for each on/off ramp and go to work.

Back in a day a buddy and I came out of a club only to be hustled by some guy for spare chane because his kids were hungry. There was a late night burger joint across the street so we offered to take him in and buy what ever and how much he wanted and needed to feed his family. He hung in there right up until we got to the counter. He then tried to tell us he'd rather have the money. All of a sudden his children weren't hungry, but sick. When we said it's food or nothing, we became a-hl-s in his opinion. Personally, I don't think there were any kids. Hungry, sick, or otherwise.

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    HaHa.

Saw this today on the news. DipJar. It is an electronic tip jar that charges your credit card $1.00 everytime you swipe it so you can leave a tip.

6. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Boycott

7. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Last winter I gave a panhandler a hunk of fruitcake I had made. I never saw him again.

8. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    SO tell us, what did you spike the Fruitcake with!! :donut1:

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Ther was a "Third Rock From the Sun" in which John Lithgow is at a restaurant with Jane Curtin. He sets a stack of ones on the table and tells the waiter that that is his tip. Every time the waiter messes up, a dollar is removed from the stack.

I gotta try that sometime!:)

Dave

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That was an easy find...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI]3rd Rock From The Sun - Dick tips - YouTube[/ame]

11. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    The dried fruits were macerated for 8 hours in gold rum, and the top was spritzed with apricot brandy