The winner in the CA primaries by a landslide..

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Dr Obnxs, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    was apathy. Despite having a huge deficit and real problems, a perpetually gridlocked state congress and tons of other issues, voters overwhelmingly voted for apathy, with about 1 in 4 registered voters caring to submit a ballot.

Really, this says more about our nation than any left vs right garbage. The people just don't care and like to biatch. As do the politicians.

Sad indeed.....

Matt

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've yet to check the voting levels to get a firm picture of how many eligible voters did cast a vote. However, I do think that M/A represents a microcosm in this. The voting rates in polls on the site is about 20% of active members.

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    We get what we deserve, unfortunately. And since nobody is forcing these nimrod politicians to step up, we are getting exactly what we are letting them get away with.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    So one could say a case could be made for proxy voting? With some rules of course.. like one could cast votes for relatives..

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't see it that way...

if you look at the public, we don't want to pay, but we want the benefits. So we send people to office that promise us what we want, and we get it with the bill to be paid later, if at all. It's short sighted on the voters part, and self preservation on the politicians part.

But I do agree that what we have is what we deserve, because it's what we chose, and what we allow.

Matt

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    So you don't see it that way or you agree? You say both. Wait, are you running for office?

:D

7. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As an informed citizen I find it difficult to bother voting, but I almost always do. I imagine that is the case regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum (unless "you" is defined as a corporation, which the Supreme Court has recognized as an individual, in which case you are should be satisfied with the government you have purchased).

At least I can be happy that two CA ballot initiatives written by, funded with tens of millions of dollars by, and benefiting only major corporations failed to pass yesterday.

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have never understood why people that can vote, don't vote:confused5:.

Mark

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Not much of an excuse, but with the two party system, sometimes the choices we are given make one cringe at the thought of voting for anyone.

10. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    In a 2 party system, the best outcome is a 51% to 49% outcome, with a 100% voter turnout.

That way the winner NEEDS to get things done, or next time around be the party that demands things get done.

Mark

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I think we should ditch the two parties and let anyone who wants to run, run. Then we, the voters, can do our homework and make a choice, rather then the parties picking the two runners for us. Most of the time, for me anyway, it is not voting for the right person, but the lessor of two evils.

Jim

BTW: Yes, I do vote.

12. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I'm good with that :Thumbsup:

I vote as well, but I always feel like it was pointless :frown2:

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We are in for a very strange ride. Did you see who got the Republican bid for Senator in Nevada...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFnGyNRV44E]YouTube - Meet Sharron Angle... In The Extreme[/ame]