Pre Migration Thinking about bring back MINI of the Month - Share your ideas please

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That removes the community aspect and turns it into what I think are the best cars.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Best...Schmest. WTF...just randomly pick a MINI. It's as simple as that. Obviously, there are some people who live for this sort of thing and crave the attention, over and over. So what. Why not just pick "Joe Everyman's Mini", at random, so that EVERYONE gets a FAIR shot of being "MINI of the Month", whether it's dirty, highly detailed, stock, modded...whatever.

Just my 2c....

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    What FUN is that.. If doing that might as well not have it. For those not interested in the contest, don't put your car in it and don't vote. Pretty simple really. Those that are will play along. Just keep it heavily "modded" and the trash talkers out, with the delete button!!

4. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Nathan almost does that now. Top left is the random garage. That's some recognition anyway.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is also the Garage of the Day, again a random selection from all Garages. I've been posting the Garage of the Day on the M/A Facebook page daily too.

6. Stinker

Stinker Active Member

May 16, 2009
    USPS Maintenance Mech
    Smithfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping you'd bring it back. Lets us see what's out there in the MINI/Mini world.:idea:

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #27 wmwny, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    "FUN" is in being surprised out of the clear blue. The glory hounds will always be baying for attention, so why not just randomly pick a MINI owner...surprise HIM, instead? THAT is REALLY pretty simple.

I am only stating my opinion here. That's what Nathan requested. If you do not agree, or if you feel I am trash-talking, go ahead and delete what I said...makes NOT a bit of difference at all to me.

8. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I participated in the earlier MINI of the Month and cast my vote in each running. So, I would welcome it back. BUT, the earlier rather poor response rate makes me wonder if the participation would be any greater no matter what the new rules are. Poor participation cheapens the honorary title of "MINI of the Month" and makes the administrative effort rather expensive per participant. Probably worthwhile to try it again.

9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I think Nathan achieves the random "fun" factor with his Garage of the Day. I also try to call out when I see friend's MINIs pop up in the Random Garage.

I look at MINI of the Month more as an opportunity for the larger M/A community to voice their opinions on what cars they like. I think it is worth giving this another trial run and see how it goes. I was thinking about the self-promotion aspect though. What if the owners had one post to promote their car however they wanted to.

Oh, and I nominate Welshy's Silk Green R50 and his Royal Grey R53 for entry into their specific months!

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Nah, you don't need to nominate me for anything. I'm happy with what I have and they are special to me, no matter what. I just do not "live" to be noticed, but a surprise showing is a nice thing to do for an unsuspecting MINI owner. Like I stated earlier, some people here just live to be noticed...thankfully, I am NOT one of them.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Sounds good to me.

12. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    The down side to doing random is and I hope Nathan will post the numbers, on the % of members we have, vs how many visit the site, vs how many actually post.. Most people would never even know their car was MOM.. Which is why it was cool to be able to vote. Only the people that use the site get to play..

13. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I like Mini of the Month and Nathan and I have discussed this a number of times in the past.

I'm a worst case scenario type re planning (some call us pessimists, though it's not the same since you can be very much an optimist and yet a good devil's advocate) and the one theme I think I've been very consistent about is participation rate. Each time we've restarted this there were more cars to choose from plus more active site participants to push it along so we've had hope. But each time interest, primarily in the form of nominee participation, began to wane after a couple/few months.

I really like the change in focus and it might help things along as well because of the more related competitive categories. Still think monthly might be a bit too often though. Feels more like a quarterly or at least every other month thing to me, maybe with different categorization or with some of those categories combined so we still rotate through them all annually.

2 cents

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It breaks down like this...

About 1% visit the site daily are and are responsible for ~20% of all visits

About 30% visit the site weekly and are responsible for ~51% of all visits

That leaves ~69% that visit about once a month comprising of ~29% of all visits.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #35 Nathan, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Welp, Jeff then I guess in my twisted version of William Tecumseh Sherman

"If nominated, you will not run; if elected, you will not serve."

I get it, you don't want to be a part of the MINI of the Month. That's fine, it is optional, no one will force you to be a part of anything you don't want to be a part of. However, it does seem from the comments here and the notes sent to me, that there is support to bring the MINI of the Month back.

There have been some good ideas in this thread, I thank you for that. Please keep them coming too.

16. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice to have it come back Nathan :Thumbsup:

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    You're ground rules in your first post look good--but I agree with others on here who have posted that once a month is too much. I'd start at every other month, then adjust accordingly, depending on how that goes, you could always go back to monthly, or increase the interval further to quarterly. I lose interest rapidly when the turnover is that frequent, it's just my 2 cents though. 6 cars a year seems plenty. 12 seems overkill.

18. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #38 Firebro17, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    So, we're having a great discussion about "Mini of the Month." As I interpret the proposed monthly concept, and as an example, a Classic owner will be eligible one month per year, as would all the rest of the varying models and their owners. If in fact that's the case, I think its a welcome opportunity to view models of a like kind and it'll likely make for a more interesting feature.

Rock on Nathan..... Let the festivities begin!

19. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    With the many varieties of 2nd and eventually 3rd Gens, the 1st will get very little love in comparison and extend the rotation to beyond a year.
    Presuming, as others suggested, that the event is not held monthly, it could be quarterly to begin with, MINI/1stGen/2ndGen/3rdGen, and adjust frequency as needed.
    That being said I do like the idea of Roadster of the Month, etc. I suppose it could be separated by body style, not generation, which would put the '07+ Hardtops at a disadvantage having to compete with first gens all the time. :D

Or randomly select 10 from the garages and we vote on one.

20. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Another thought:

Have the Mini competition every other month, with the criteria in Nate's first post. That way whomever wins gets the banner for a bit longer, makes it more meaningful. That's six cars a year.

Also, every other month, Nate could pick the Dos Equis Mini--the world's most interesting Mini. The criteria would be broad--in fact, so broad as to be non-existent. Maybe the red bull Mini, or a twin charged mini, a moke, whatever. It could be a car from a member, or from anywhere else in the world, any year, any model, we could highlight that for the months in between the competition months. Another 6 cars a year.