This is probably a pretty common story here...

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by jmc31100, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jmc31100

jmc31100 Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Greetings all,

My life has gotten to the point where the kids are grown (still living at home mind you, but that's another story) and though our Hondas (7 so far, starting with an '85 Prelude) have served their purpose wonderfully, I have started longing for a daily driver that is actually fun to drive. Not wanting to be the old guy driving a young guys sports car, and not ever being a trend follower, MINI became the obvious choice (and my current infatuation!).

For the past few months I have been a daily reader of this forum and have been steadily working though the backlog of WRR episodes. Not sure I will make it though all 450 but they sure make my commute more enjoyable.

So, if the feasibility study works out I am looking to buy a 2013 MCS. Currently spec-ing an automatic (too much commuting stop and go plus my wife never was able master a clutch), Premium Package 2 and Sports Package. Preferred color changes almost daily, currently leaning towards Lightning Blue/Blk. But then there is BRG/White. And Spice Orange/Blk is way sharp... :D

Thanks for all the collective knowledge that lives here. Much more to learn and miles to go before I buy. :)

-John

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,673 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A. No mater what flavor of MINI you chose it will not be a boring appliance type car. Enjoy the search! :Thumbsup:

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome to MA and good luck in your search. Margi is an 08 BRG R56 MCS/JCWm that I've had for 5yrs and have enjoyed every minute of our time together. I'm 60yo and have already been through what you're now going through. You're making the correct decision. You might thing twice about the auto trans though.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,958 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA. Theres plenty old farts around here like me and ^^^^^ :biggrin5::biggrin5::biggrin5::biggrin5:
    Sorry Jason I couldn't help myself.

Enjoy the search its the funnest car I have had. :Thumbsup:

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Fun daily driver? Yup, a MINI is a perfect fit. :Thumbsup:

Welcome to M/A and thanks for joining.

7. debscooper

debscooper New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Export/Food Service Sales Service
    annandale nj ~ OZ
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    John step a little closer and you'll never regret or look back . . . Come towards the light we are all anxiously waiting to see YOUR pictures of your new MCS . . . . welcome Mini Attic . . . Glad you found us :Thumbsup:

8. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Hope you score a MINI soon.
    I wasn't able to wait for the kids to fully fledge so our 19 yr old daily driver is the 04 R53. We recently picked up the All4 S as a go-to vehicle for all of us (including the 16 yr old).

All MINI's are great to look at, but I do like the look of those black tops quite a bit.

9. jmc31100

jmc31100 Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I tell ya...once these things get under your skin it's hopeless. I guess I'm preaching to the choir aren't i. :)

Jason, I have thought it over many times but unfortunately it's the one compromise I will have to make in order to make the MINI possible. My wife views driving a necessary evil and has no intention of learning a manual tranny. :sigh I even tried using the logic that I would be giving her the opportunity to conquer the one thing in life that defeated her. Immediate rejection. :(

-John

10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,801 / 10 / -0
    By the way, welcome to MA!

I drove manual trannys all my life until I bought my first Cooper. It's a CVT...yeah, not a good choice due to its problems, the the auto had not come out yet. I still have the Cooper, though, and drive it to shows and occasionally to MOTD. I now drive an '06 MCSa that I bought new, love to death and will never go back to a manny for [yep...same problem as your's....wife won't drive a stick!].

12. jmc31100

jmc31100 Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the moral support. I keep telling myself...

An automatic MINI is much better than no MINI (or the marital alternative!).

-John

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site.

14. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the ALLIANCE!!!

15. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

We just picked up our new '13 "Justa" with a slushbox. (BRG with white top and stripes.) Like you are thinking, we went with the auto due to big city traffic and since this is technically "Herself's" car and she wanted the auto instead of shifting all the time. Here are my thoughts after only a couple of hundred miles. (It's brand new.)

While I'm not wild about an auto in a small car that is this fun to drive, it was a requirement. So, I'm making due. The 6 speed Aisan unit in the "Justa" is pretty good so far. The only time I've had issue with it is if it's not in "sport" mode, on hills it holds high gear a little longer than I would like and feels to bog down and you have to push it a little harder to get the desired downshift. However, putting it in "sport" mode or manually shifting it takes care of that. And, it's only on hills. I really like the manual shift feature and will use that on twisties and hills areas. Otherwise, it's a pretty good unit. You know when it's shifting (it's tuned to be a little sporting even in regular mode so it's not Caddie smooth.) I prefer this to the "silky smooth GM feel" in a car that is sporty rather than a luxo-boat. :cornut:

We're loving the Mini. Seats (we got sport cloth) are firm and comfortable, the ride is good and the driving experience is like my old 1st generation MR2 ie: Go Cart Fun! A great commuter car. Good luck with your decision! :cornut:

16. jmc31100

jmc31100 Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thanks DM for your observations. I am looking forward to the sportier feel. Much prefer the feel of driving a car rather that riding in a car.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.