Mini News This is what BMW needs to build to save MINI.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dave.0, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    $42K for a Yaris? I'd call that overpriced......

But I agree that the new MINIs have lost the plot completely......

and of course, if BMW builds it, it will be $52K

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    4 wheel drive, 3 cyc. Turbo, but most important part. TOYOTA QUALITY! The shit will not break.

3. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Come on @Dave.0 no automatic! How can I drink my double latte and drive? Who wants that!?

Ok I do.........I really do!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I grew up driving cars with stick shifts...drove them all over the USA, Europe and Latin America when I was younger. I drove manual 3-speeds, 4-speeds, 5-speeds, and 6-speeds and cars from the UK [left AND right hand drive], the USA, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and a few other countries. That was then, but now I am in my twilight years and both knees are giving me one helluva time when I walk, get up from sitting down, get up from having to get down to search for dog toys or other things that may have dropped out of reach, as well as getting into and out of my MINIs. What was fun when I was younger and more agile has turned into a daily living nightmare because I never know what muscles or joints will decide to give out until my body gets into those positions. I just CANNOT drive any stick shift cars any more without having to suffer pain, especially in my left knee. I have gone to the automatic transmission, sadly, but it keeps me in the driver's seat.

If it bothers you that I drive a CVT in my R50 or automatics in either of my R53s, that's YOUR problem, and not mine. I can and have driven them in any and all conditions and places...and I am still here.

When you "purists" go to MOTD, check out how many automatic transmissions are there besides the MINIs with that "glorious" 6-speed manual transmission. I think you'll be surprised. If that's not true, then WHY is there a class to teach drivers just how to drive the paddle shifting automatic MINIs while at MOTD?

6. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    There’s a class to teach people how to use a paddle shifting automatic? Have we really digressed that far?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I've not found anyone here caring if I drive an autobox with a robot to shift its gears. Being the old fart I am I don't care what others may think. Ha! :p

I love stick shifts, but this old fart can no longer kick a clutch without pain. Being the sissy I am I really don't like pain. Enter the GTI with a beautiful DSG handicap transmission. Life is good. CVT oh heck no not for me, but fine for others if they want one.

On to the topic at hand. Well I think so, but M/A is famous for thread drift. o_O

That little Yaris rally car wanna be is pretty cool. Good idea for Toyota to bring such a thing to market, None for North America. :(

As far as MINI building something like that Yaris, well MINI does not rally, so what's the point? MINI did rally for the year or so before they dropped out. Oh & they used a Countryguy not a 3 door MINI. :Dead:

PS One more thing. I missed the how to drive an automatic class. With Babs clubster I've found the best thing for a fine twisty road is to put it in sport mode, no paddling. The Japanese transmission is a good one, but using the paddles is the slow way to go.

Back on topic again.

15,000 mile oil changes....... :Whistling:

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Don't misunderstand me, I realize that an auto is the best chose for some given their situation. I am not downing anyone for driving auto. What I am downing is BMW/MINI for the auto they put in the GP. When I went to the dealer the other day to get filters I asked them about the transmission in the GP. I was told its a normal torque converter auto. Why? VW has had a very nice duel clutch system out for a long time. So have several other manufactures. You won't hear me complaining about that type of a transmission. A long time friend that sold and raced P cars let me test a GTI with the duel cultch, it was a hoot.
    BMW/MINI could and should do better. They are not some cut-rate company. Their cars are very expensive and they run around saying they make the ultimate driving machine. If your going to talk the talk then you damn sure need to walk the walk! There a lot of cars I can wast my money on that are +40k so if you want me to buy your car it needs to stand out and don't give me some lame answer that it was the only transmission your company has that won't crap out.....now there is a selling point. I would have been happy if they had offered it in both flavors, to each his own.
    So I am not judging you my brother. If I make it to the Dragon I will have a cigar for you!:Cigar:

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I learned ALL my paddle shifting at Mid Ohio when I tracked my MCSa at the BMWCCA driving schools, from 2006-2012. My instructor told me the paddles are more efficient than using the shifter, because less time is used in going to the shifter and my track times would be shorter. I now use the paddles almost exclusively. I don't see the paddles as a digression at all, and they are pretty fun when driving at the Tail of the Dragon, although sometimes I revert to the shifter there, too. However, that said, the MOTD classes are for those who probably have never tracked their MINIs, or who are inexperienced in "Dragon driving" and want to give the paddles a shot.

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    No, Lee, I am the "cigar guy" and this year is MY last Cigar Salon. ALL the cigars I am bringing are free for the smoking. Next year, someone else can either carry on the "tradition", or not. This year, NO VAPES and NO ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES other than regular cigars, because this is MY show, and my friends [aka the Cigar Salon participants] are welcome to them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok old people relax. Drive whatever Autotragic/ CVT thing you want. NO ONE IS JUDGING YOU.

The point of the tread was this is what MINI should have built and not the ugly GP3.

MINI will be leaving North America soon so it won’t matter. If you have been under a rock last week, BMW has pulled all financial support from MINI North America. No BMW leasing, no rebates, on and on. Dealerships will be closing soon.

12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Now Dave, everyone knows that you judge everything!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    There’s a difference between someone
    preferring an automatic transmission
    in a sporty car and the manufacturer
    not even offering a manual transmission
    option.
    The first is perfectly fine for that person
    and the latter is an ultimate blunder for
    a ... driving machine maker.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #15 Crashton, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    I don't live under a rock, but heck if I did it would save a load of money. :Pompus:

NEWS FASH!!!

Found a nice rock to live under. Close proximity to many fine southern Ohio driving roads.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I waiting for Jeff to yell “GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS’” :p:D:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Hell, it's hard telling if I have any lawn left at all, what with all the rain we have been getting during this so-called Winter!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Not going to touch that one......
    Better rain than snow & ice my friend. Those new snow tyres you bought are keeping the snow away. :D

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well, you do live in OHIO.

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male