Fun & Games This is why I do not use wax anymore

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dave.0, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup and the best part is Todd and the team at Esoteric ONLY sell the stuff they test an use everyday when detailing high-end cars. They are also great guys to talk with and provide great customer service as it's all done at Esoteric buy the guys that use the products.:Thumbsup:

Unlike Autogeek which has become the on-line Wal-Mart of detailing car care. :incazzato::nonod:

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Dave what do you do for rock chips?

3. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hummm those are fun. :mad2:

I clean the spot with a Q-tip and some lacquer thinner and touch them up with factory paint a few times over several days.

Then I wet sand down the sport with 3000 grit and buff / compound them out with a yellow pad or MF cutting pad using Sonax Perfect Finish.

Then wax or coat them depending on who car it is. I always coat my car, no more wax for me. :Thumbsup:

I use very fine paint brushes from a craft store like the 3 at the bottom of the below picture ( 0 , 00 or 000 ) to fill the chips. You want the touch up to be above the paint level before you spot wet sand it to blend it in.

[​IMG]

4. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    What, brand of DA/polisher would you recommend for someone who to make their daily driver look good? I've been wary of using one on the MINI, the paint seems so fragile to me.

This thread has to be one of the best on this forum for long time. :Thumbsup:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I keep waiting for David.0's "Buff-N-Stuff" detailing site to open....

Is there some kinda projected date when this will happen?

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That's not going to happen. :lol::lol::lol:

I like doing what I do for the people I detail cars for but I do not to start my own business. I think it would be too much like work and take the passion and enjoyment out of it for me.

7. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I have a dumb question. What's the difference between buffing and polishing?

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

First of all MINI paint strong and thick. You cannot burn it with a DA.

* Exception * maybe if you put 80 grit dry sandpaper on the DA but that would just be silly.:lol:

One reason DA's are very safe for paint is they do not generate enough heat because they move in a pattern and not just a circular motion like a rotary polisher at 3k -6 k Roma.

Two foam and MF pads do not spin at high speeds ( more like 1500 - 300- Rpms) and the compounds are not as abrasive as they once were.

Technology with pads, products and the paints themselves are much better now then when we used lacquer paints.

You can burn right through MINI and any other paint job with a Mikita rotary buffer. This happens because of the course cut of a compound and the abrasiveness of the wool pad and the heat generated. It took me months to learn to polish with Rotary DA on old junk yard panels and hoods. When you can test and train on junk parts and try to burn them you learn how much force it takes to damage auto paint.

I would highly recommend the Portal Cable 7424 XP DA or the Griots DA for any diy / starter polisher for anyone.

The Griots is the one cost a little more but it comes with a excellent backing plate for pads. I also love the torque the Griots has to keep the pads spinning at low speeds. I still have my Griots and use it a lot because it is strong, well made and very reliable. :Thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10813STDCRD-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B009UKUUWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490837500&sr=8-1&keywords=griots+garage+6+inch+random+orbital+polisher

One more thing about DA's on paint, the softer the pad the less cut you get, so even with a compound on the pad you will have to run the pad on the car a longer time then you would with a Orange or Yellow pad.

So if anyone is worried about your paint and damaging it start off with just plain wax or polish on a soft pad like white or lower from the lists above to get the hang of using the DA machine. Practice make perfect and you will love cleaning your car and the results.

Slow and even polishing will achieve better results in the end then high speed and a very abrasive compound. The more you use a DA the better your results will be.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    They are both kind of the same thing the way compounds and polishes are being made these days but they can be confusing.

Buffing can mean different things. You buff a car with a machine and compound. Or while you are taking hand wax off a car with a towel you are buffing the paint to make it shine.

Polishing is more inline with the steps after compounding. After you compound the paint to take out the major defects the next step is fine polishing / jeweling the paint.

After you get paint is perfect you apply wax or sealant or a coating and let it setup and then buff it off.

This way all your hard work is protected. Wax last the shortest, about 2-4 months tops, sealants last about 6 months and coatings are good for a year easy and can last up to 2 + years with proper cleaning.

10. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Dave.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I feel so inadequate with my sears buffer and O'Reilly's micro fiber pads! Thanks Dave :lol::lol:

Attached Files:

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I started with that in HS. :lol:

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Dave as you can see I am thinking about skipping the washing part. I believe the dirt will give added grit to my turtle wax my dad gave me in 1980. Also this will save time. :D

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    OK Dave...you are truly a generous man for sharing. Thank you....

16. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    This is what I'm hoping for. Currently I hate washing my MINIs because I'm forced to focus on all of scuff marks, scratches, etc. If I can fix 'em that'd make a big difference. Thanks again for the information!

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    For deep chips do you paint then put gloss on top of it then wet sand or do you just fill it with paint and wet sand?

18. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    This thread is one of the most useful threads I've seen on the internet in a while. Thanks Dave.O. What is your preferred method of removing acid rain contamination from glass? I want to get my windows tinted, but I won't do it while my windows are all crusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I fill them up over a few days to a weeks allowing them to dry and cure. I end up with a little paint pimple where the rock chip was that needs to be wet sanded down with 3000 grit.

I level sand with wet 300 grit sandpaper the chip repair and maybe 3 to 6 inch's around it. After I am done wet sanding the chip pimple down and the area around the chip it will blend in with the area around it. It will look dry like a chalkboard when you are done sanding.

After this stage I compound and polish the wet sanded area to bring back the gloss and blend the area in with the rest of the hood or door. Since I am very picky I compound the whole area and polish the whole area so you can not see the area where I did the rock chip repair. You may know where the chip was but you will not be able to see the repair unless you used the wrong color OEM paint from the beginning.

Note/ Caution: If you have never Wet Sanded before get a junk yard panel and try and practice the process the whole process above first.

It is very simple to wet sand and 3000 grit paper is very fine grit. You just have to keep the area wet with soapy water and a sponge. Do not be scared because if you wet sand an area with 3000 you can always polish it out. You would need to wet sand the same area very hard for over an hour to even sand though the clear coat.

You will see very quickly that 3000 grit cuts very slooooowly.

Just so you know I use 1500 an 2000 grit to remove "orange peel" and refinish headlight lenses and can still compound / polish them out with a make them look flawless again with a DA polisher products from earlier post above.

20. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Are you cleaning the same pad in between panels or are you using multiple pads?
    And regarding cleaning pads are you dry brushing it, using soap and water or using a pad cleaner? On the Esoteric site I can't find any mention of pad care but on Autogeek there's all sorts of cleaners.