This is why you need to change your oil MORE

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Way Motor Works, Dec 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I came across some pics of a 60k BMW engine with the valve cover removed. Look at all the sludge. This is why all you need to change your oil every 5-7k miles. Just for comparison the bottom shows a pic of one of my BMW customer's engine, that has 160k on it and oil been changed every 5k, may I also note he hasn't had any engine problems, coincidence I think not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This looks new, even with 160k.
    DSCI0366.jpg

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yow! I just threw up a little...where's that vomiting smilie when I need it?

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What's the story

on the gunked up engine? That isn't from synthetics every 15k.... There's got to be more to the story...

Matt

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Owner did not change oil on a 328Ci for over 60K miles.

5. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I change my oil every 2500-3200 miles... I need to change it less. haha

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Smack that guy with the dipstick........ twice!

7. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Gosh this is getting all over the internet now. Wish I posted in the original thread over on bimmerforums for posterity! It's actually funny - people from all over are joining just to post in the thread.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    On the sewing site there is talk of using a product called Seafoam introduced through the PVC. Intent is to clean out allot of this sludge. I do the 5K oil changes but was curious of anyone else adding the Seafoam in addition

9. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Eeeewww, nasty engine!! So why does BMW allow some of the service intervals to run out to 20k miles?

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  12. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Just think of all the money that guy saved on oil changes and new filters! :crazy:

13. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For most cars...

running new synthetic oils, sludge isn't a problem (Toyota had an issue around 2000 though where sludge in too small oil galleries resulted in some engine fialures) so 20k+ service intervals aren't as bad as they would have been with leaded gas, dino oil and the like for cars of the 60s or so. You still have to top up the oil more often though.

Personally, I've never used the Sea Foam in the crank case. While I'm sure it's not bad, it will thin the oil a lot when it's in there (they say don't drive hard). It just rubs me the wrong way.

Matt

14. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd estimate about $400 if they'd had the dealer do the services, the first 36,000 miles are free (10K and 25K mile changes) and the next two changes (40K and 55K miles) would've been about $200 each I guess. :D

15. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I admire you guys for thinking proactive about seafoaming the engine and using other treatments. But take a good look at the pic I posted of the 160k engine, it never had any seafoam or other engine treatments done. Just 5k oil changes. Basicly making the point that just more maint will take care of the engine, rather than rolling the dice on snake oils, Now I say that lightly but all these treatment products make a bunch of claims that we all know they arn't all true.

Dr O, sorry but I disagree about synthetic oils not sludging. I can't tell you how many 60k+ mile BMW's that I have had the valve cover off or been in the engine and found alot of sludge. So synthetics do sludge, I garuantee it. Obviously the sludging is more so contributed by the long oil change intervals. But Dr O is right that Synthetics are designed and have better additives to prevent sludging over standard oils. But heck Man designed them to be better, and they are.

16. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think we basically agree...

basically good maintenance will deal with the problem. 60k without changing the oil will just build up lots of crap, no matter the lubricant!

Matt

17. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Regarding Seafoam etc.... I'm with Way and the Doc regarding the crankcase - regular oil changes with the right oil are all you need there... but I think most of the benefit to cleaners are for the injectors, intake tract, and head.

But top quality fuel additives (e.g. Techron, Shell V-Power) and water/meth injection will do the same thing for you... :D

I run good gas, occasional gas additive and water meth - but bought a can of Seafoam and will run it through the fuel and intake because, at 60K, I figure it can't hurt...

18. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Color of oil on dipstick

Is the darkened color of the oil on the dipstick a good indication that it is time to change the oil?

I've noted that the color of the oil on the dipstick becomes noticeably darker at around 3-5K miles of use, which is about the time I change the oil anyway.

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Well..... non-dark oil is certainly "fresher" than dark oil... but just because it's dark doesn't mean it needs to be changed.

Only oil analysis can REALLY tell you what the right mileage intervals are on a specific car with specific driving habits and other factors.

In industrial environments, they often do oil analysis on individual pieces of equipment to determine the optimal maintenance schedule for each piece - two pieces of "identical" equipment sitting side by side running the same workloads may have different maintenance requirements - just due to differences in manufacturing tolerances, etc. (e.g. how tight do your rings fit?)

20. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was seriously thinking of seafoaming my engine recently but when I went to change the plugs I realized that they were about as good an indication of the cleanliness of the inside of my combustion chamber as anything and they looked really good. These particular plugs were about two years old and have over 30K miles on them so they weren't fresh but I've taken worse plugs out of cars with only 20K miles. The only real additive I've ever run was a bottle of Redline injector cleaner/fuel additive a year and a half ago.
    I do my oil changes at 7500 miles and the oil is darkened (and no longer purple) but still translucent, I've never done an oil analysis but if I were to go by the OBC my oil changes would be closer to 20K miles apart so I take that to mean I use my car somewhat gently.