Fun & Games This MINI commercial is spot on

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by buttonbag, Aug 8, 2016.

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Well, not first generations MINIs anyway.:biggrin5:

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not the 2nd or 3rd gens either. Unless you buy a Justa and what fun it that. :lol:

If you want a car with great MPG and is ultra reliable buy a Hyundai or KIA.

Germany / England have nothing even close to the reliability of those cars and the MPG.

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    It's all about balance, IMO. I wanted a high MPG car, but didn't want to drive something boring. I get 30 MPG around Dallas, which is half highway and half city, and have a cool-looking and fun-driving car.

BTW, I got a F56 loaner car recently with the 3-cilynder turbo, and it drove pretty nicely. It has the guppy-face and the ridiculously large taillights, but still looks better than a f-ing Hyundai.

CD

4. friendraja

friendraja Member

Aug 31, 2015
    System Administrator
    Dublin, ohio
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Having a 2nd Gen, stock JCW Coupe..getting 31 MPG.. i was thinking its a great mileage..atleast for me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. My memory goes far enough back in time that I remember a guy had bragging rights if his car gave him 10 miles to the gallon or better.

6. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    MINI and fuel mileage? HA!!!

My R53 long ago when it was still stock in 2009 got about 25~26 MPG...

The Porker averaged out at 23~24 MPG which isn't bad for an AWD turbo car, and could've been better if I didn't always feel the need to wring every bit of power out of it...

Now, I have a Turbo 3.0L inline 6 that puts out 325 HP from the factory, and I'm averaging 24~25 MPG! Maybe it's because I don't feel the need to use all the horsepowers every time I drive it?

Standard start up sequence for the Porker was to totally disable the DSC system (Hold the Traction control button until "DSC OFF" shows up on the tach screen) and make sure to press the "Sport" button so the throttle and steering would tighten up and make it feel like a car instead of an appliance...

The BMW: Press the start button, put the transmission in it's regular "Drive" mode, and go! If I'm feeling like playing a little I put the trans into "Manual" and still hold off on the "Sport" button unless I'm really playing with it. Yes pressing the "Sport" button actually does something in the BMW rather than just make the car feel the way it should have been from the factory.

MINI has lost everything it had going for it... They took a great small car, that was originally more oriented to the performance enthusiast, and have dulled it down to a computer in a not so great looking box to suit the techie geek instead of keeping some focus on why most of us here originally fell in love with and bought into the brand.

I knew when the F-series was released that I would be looking elsewhere for my next car, even though I gave them one last chance with the R60. I am glad I had the Porker though, because it was an all around great car that had a lot of potential to be good at whatever you wanted to do with it. (except for its lack of being able to safely add any kind of real power due to the weak factory engine internals an un-tunable ECU) But I'm even happier that (even though it's broken again) I still have and will always have one of the best MINIs ever made, and don't buy into the techno crap the brand is pushing to the masses today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    No. No it doesn't.

8. NikiMae31

NikiMae31 New Member

May 17, 2009
    Nursing Student/ EMT
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks WAY better than the Hyundai I had. But this was a 1994, with a crashed in grille, bungie cord holding the hood down and a Cavalier headlight that was taped in after I rear ended a truck with a tow hitch. Loved that car. Nothing like your first car you ever paid for yourself.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I hate turbos, I have always hated turbos ever sense I worked on Maseratis in the 80's. I do like the Gen2 minis not like I do my sweet Gen1 S. My wife R57 is a very nice car but I cringe when I think of that HOT turbo under the hood. I know you can wrap the turbo but thats just asking for trouble. I plan on getting the heat shield for the hood. Her hood scoop has some holes I may open it up some more.

But to the subject Mini has lost its way. But the Bangel Butt is a thing of the past for BMW perhaps this will soon pass to.

Long live the R53!

10. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Some of the new Hyundai's are good looking cars. With 100k warranty.

11. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Wrapping the turbo is not asking for trouble, it improves the efficiency of the turbocharger and helps protect the pedestal bearing and seals from the heat of the hot side of the turbo. If you want your turbocharger to last a long time, wrap that sucker!

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I am worried about cooking the oil and bearings on the hot side.

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Good looking Hyundai is an oxymoron. Those cars really need a 100,000 mile warranty to sell.

Wrapping a turbo or header can do good things like keep under-hood temps down. There is no free lunch holding that heat in is going to effect the parts you've wrapped.

Man Lee you worked on Masser Bi-turbos.... :frown2: Turbos have gotten better, but I understand your hate-tread of them. I was very surprised when you bought one.

I like the turbo on my GTI. Woosh......

14. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #34 Qik, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Not really. The Genesis' are good looking cars. Equus is also a nice Hyundai. After growing up a "Nothing but Chevy" guy and finding out other brands can be good too, I refuse to judge a car by it's make... Except a Chrysler product. They're all junk, minus the Viper ACR of course that thing is a MONSTER. Hyundai also has nice SUV's if you're into that sorta thing. The Genesis Coupe looks better than every F car MINI makes now and that's not saying alot.... 100k warranty does sell, that's why they do it. They care about getting buyers. I wish MINI believed in their cars enough to offer one similar, but no, they make you buy it.

15. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #35 ZippyNH, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Bearings in turbo's have come a long way....just as oils have gotten better....and the lifespan of a turbo is largely based on how it implemented install wise....

And when i mention mpg's and MINI cars, it is to keep in mind WHAT the mini was sold as....
    A economicall small car, that also had good performance. Even the gen1 S was, as a typical $25,000 car new with 25-30 mpg car not great, but competitive....sure folks got less, but as built, they could with the stock sized rims (16x6.5) be a reasonable commuter car that you could have fun on the weekends with.
    Honestly, as a daily driver, and not as a 3rd hobby car, getting less that that unmodified would have been a no go...you gave up mpg's to get performance.
    Today with most 4 dr sedans getting 38-40 mpg, and 2 dr coupe getting close to that or better depending on the performance, I as a realist, can say by the end of the gen1 cars, I knew some had to change...if you are going to run around in a small fun car, it's nice for it to be somewhat economical....
    heck...I cringe when I see the ¢60-90 premium for high octane....it was once under ¢25 per gallon, but the spread is getting worse, and I know that the best octanes are getting phased out in some areas...Sunocco largely stopped selling 94 octane when they shut down their refinery in NJ, but 93 being common now....and 90 in some area.....as bio-fuels become more in demand, do stations drop midgrade or premium to sell e85? I hate the stuff, both economicly and on the premises of burning food, but it is becoming more common.....as us e-10, and e15....
    Long live the r53....but the SC was favored for a few reasons in the gen1...time to get the motor to market, $$, and development time, and perhaps MINI's own history....
    But at some point $$ overcomes "fun" in selling NEW cars, and I am happy I owned one of the last good SC cars made. Can I turn the clock back...nope...but I know many turbo's can run 500,000 on diesel trucks....usually 200,000 or more on a car when done right...sure...mini messed up with the CAT location on the gen2 cars....but turbos have come a LONG way from the old units from the 90's.....
    So...before you complain about turbo life, how many Eaton sc have had the waterpump PTO fail ? Nothing is perfect.

16. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    You are not going to cook the pedestal bearings if you wrap the hot side, they are water cooled and the turbocharger cooling system operates for a few minutes after the engine is shut down. Remember the electric cooling pump recall a few years ago? That was for the turbocharger cooling pump.

17. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Modern turbos are way more advanced than even the ones made 10 years ago Lee, and the crud they made in the 80's might as well be chiseled out of stone!
    There are turbos available now that don't even need an oil line ran to them...
    Wrapping the hot side of the turbo is a good idea, and won't cause as much additional wear on the bearings as adding a 15% pulley does to an M45.

Wrapping the entire exhaust was actually on the list of mods I wanted to do to the Porker because it's a cheap way to gain a little more efficiency out of the system... Might have to carry that idea over to Grace, but not any time soon, getting the house and garage is my top priority, then it's finding a cheap and reliable small pickup to use as a daily when I get settled in at the Dragon.

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Well maybe I should look into wrapping it. Perhaps I am old and stuck in my ways........................no, no that can't be it.:D

19. Sig

Sig Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My display says avg mpg is 41.1 for my justa. I may not be the fastest cat around, but it's sporty enough for me.

20. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0

Funny you should say that... I would actually take my first MINI ('05 R50) back as a daily for that reason! But when I get where I'm going, a small pickup would fit the bill of what I actually need better, especially with the business plan.