Most liked posts in thread: This Noob Wants to Attempt a Rear Swaybar Install

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Swaybars, I've seen a million of them...

I think the collective royal we are wondering where are the sandwich pictures.

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Ramps won't work for this job, you have to remove the wheels.

Just get a good set of stands under a solid point and you'll be fine - the best place is the jack points on the sides of the car for this work. Since you 'll be loosening and lowering the subfame, you can't set the car on that.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The first time, allowing for mistakes and such, about 2-3 hours.

Having a clean, level, smooth floor that's well lit helps immensely too.

Air tools are not needed, they just speed things up in the right hands.

It also makes things easier if you have an extra set of hands around to hold things or push the new bar in while you hold the subframe down slightly and so on.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Me too, you'd be going to the store for more beer & sandwich fixings. :wink:

5. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    I think so too! And screw sandwiches...let's do some grilling... :drool

6. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Full-time Military, part-time headbanger
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I know on my car, it's a pain in the expletive to do, but this was easy. And fun! I bled, but not that much.

And for the record, the sandwiches were incredible. They always are :p

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Congrats on your swaybay ectomy, nice job!:Thumbsup: After a bit you'll probably want to stiffen that bar up to the max. This old man likes his bar stiff, some old men want it soft. Sorry couldn't help it. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!

Yes, most likely I will try it. I'm going to force Lance (Code3_Mini) to help me. ;)

Maybe I'll make him a sandwich in return...

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Numero uno..... Use safe solid jack stands... Or get it up on those solid RHINO Ramps (Walmarts sells them and "others").... Don't get under the MINI unless it's rock stable....

[​IMG]

"2. I know my way around tools." There are a few tools on this site.... But we're here for ya...

Nothing more fulfilling than doing the "mod" yourself... Go for it...:Thumbsup:

10. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    No abduction needed...I come willingly :p but you do make some bomb sammiches, so I won't turn that down. I think this will be easy and fun. If I bust a knuckle though (likely), I will require a GI Joe band-aid.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you weren't on the wrong coast I would be glad to help you out. :Thumbsup::lol:

12. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    Lol...why is it all the cool people are so far away?

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Being comfortable enough with your manhood to even utter "scrumptious" much less put it on the internet for all of posterity to be able to Google is all the proof one needs that the ManCard is not only valid, but forged of titanium.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Taking the stock bar on & off a couple of times is darned good practice. :wink:

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I can tell you now what you're up against. The floor, rear sub frame and fuel tank.

It will be like an old game of "Operation" but you will not get shocked. :lol:

Jack the car up and put it on jack stands (2) in the rear, remove the tires. disconnect the (2) end links from the old bar, disconnect bolts that hold the old bar in and loosen the (4) long rear sub frame bolts.

FYI I back them all the way out one at a time and then put them back in for about 4-5 full turns. This way you will have plenty of space to play "Operation" with the anti-sway bars.

[​IMG]

16. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    On my R53, and I bet your car is similar, you might find it helpful to back off the bolts for the fuel tank straps and let the tank drop down a little. Doing this created a little more wiggle room to sneak the old bar out and the new one in. Snaking the sway bar past the wiring harness is the tricky part, but it's not that bad.

Just make up your mind that you're going to attack it like a puzzle and finesse the parts in and out rather than using brute force.

I swapped mine by accident sort of. I had just washed my car and pulled it onto the car port. At the time, I was taking care of my mother who was bed ridden with MS. She was engrossed in a movie, so I told her I was going to be just outside looking at the MINI and scoping the sway bar job. I jacked the car up, removed the wheel, and just started looking with a flashlight. I disconnected the end link on a whim, and before I realized it, I had the bars swapped. I didn't even pull it in the shop. All I really planned to do was look the job over...

If we weren't on opposite coasts, I'd say to bring it over to my shop and we'll use my lift, jacks, air tools, HVAC, etc. You can leave my house with a full tank, run the Dragon, and make it back here without buying gas, so testing it out isn't an issue. We also have plenty of challenging but unknown roads within 15 minutes of here.

Try to do as much of the work yourself as you can. It's a great "learner" project, and you won't be a noob anymore!

The hardest part is convincing yourself that YOU CAN DO IT!

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Also if Code3_Mini cuts himself we need to see bare wound pictures so we can make fun of him. :lol::lol::lol:

18. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Looks great, and you ain't a NOOB anymore!

Tell us more about the job. Easier or harder than you expected? How's it drive? Learn any interesting new curse words as a stream of blood mysteriously appeared?

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Good job! You said 0 nuts lost. Don't worry if you ever do lose some there are plenty lose nuts running around MA. :lol:

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    When you say you know your way around tools do you mean you know how to walk around them or use them? :D