1st Gen R53 Cooper S Thought problem fixed but still having codes

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by AliceCooper, Mar 7, 2013.

1. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    So, on the way home today the Mini started running like crap, surging, reving and at stop lights acting like I am hitting the gas. Get home safely open the bonnet to investigate and notice a boot has slipped off my Forge intercooler on the drivers side. So I figure ok there is the prob and I fix it up, start the car and she seems to be fine but now CEL is on and when I check codes I get P1109- Manifold air pressure too high in deceleration
    P1242- Secondary upstream manifold air pressure too high in deceleration.
    I cleared the codes but the CEL is still on and its still throwing the same codes. should I just buy a new MAP and swap it out and cross fingers. It was running fine before the boot slipped off the intercooler. Thoughts ???

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'd check both boots again well, all the way around, clear codes again, start it up, make sure no codes, then run and see...

Map sensors hardly ever fail.. Though it can happen

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'd take the boots off completely and give them a good look over. I had a similar issue, and one of the intercooler boots was actually torn--I couldn't see the tear, because it was underneath.

I replaced both boots, no problems since (GP intercooler).

Damn Blimey just snuck in there before me...lol.

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Check the IC for leaks too, they do fail. Ask me how I know.:(

Dollars to doughnuts you still have a leak somewhere.

5. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just a shot in the dark, but could the problem could be related to the bypass valve? Seems like the bypass valve should open upon deceleration, allowing the pressure to drop, and if for some reason it doesn't open, the pressure could be too high and throw a code. I'm just throwing it out there to see what you guys think. That could be a reason why the IC boots are coming off as well. Do you happen to have boost gauge? That could tell you if you're overboosting. With a 15% reduction pulley, you should be around the 15-16lbs range at max throttle and rpm. Just throwing it out there, and trying to think outside the box. It could just be a sensor, but if it's saying the pressure is too high and the IC boot is coming off, that makes me wonder if the BPV isn't functioning properly. If you have a way to check the boost levels during acceleration and deceleration, you should be able to figure out if it's a boost related problem, or a sensor problem. The ScanGauge II has a boost setting and can tell you what the S/C is making, but I believe that works off the map sensor. So if you have an actual boost gauge, and can also use a ScanGauge II, you should be able to determine exactly what is going on, whether it's boost related or sensor related. Anyone else care to chime in? Like I stated, this is a shot in the dark, and I could be wrong.

6. PhilA1

PhilA1 New Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any more info on this problem?