Thoughts about kids at MOTD?

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 10 (May 2 - 6, 2012) - TN / NC' started by minintrigue, Feb 2, 2012.

1. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    My soon to be 11 year old son and I had a great time at MTTS last time but this year it doesn't fit in my schedule for work. And I've always wanted to do MOTD, but just haven't yet. No better time than the present, huh? Anyway, he'd have my hide if I went without him as he is a certified MINI nut just like me.

I guess my real question is if this is a "kid friendly" event? I assume so, but just looking for some perspective from those that have been there.

I know we'd be up for ziplining....

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Save for the Brew Swap and the Wine Tasting all things are kid friendly. There is the Pinewood derby thing the Pittsburgh group does that is a hit with the kids too.

There are always a few kids at MOTD and they seem to have a great time.

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    That is good to know Nathan. Might have to bring mine next year.

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    There are always a lot of kids running around. It reminds me a lot of my childhood... fewer electronics, more fresh air and imagination. The pinewood derby thing would be a great parent/child bonding thing, IMHO.

5. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    If he loves the MINI scene and can handle the twisities, he'll have a great time.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Aren't we all kids at MOTD?

7. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Tru dat.... just some more so than others :biggrin5:

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Might even be some adults that will have wet their pants after a run on the Dragon.....:D

9. Curves906

Curves906 New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    This will be our third MOTD and the second one that our daughter will come with us. Last year she was 9 weeks old. :) We had no problems with taking her on any of the drives with us. Everyone loves to see young Motorers. :D

10. MINI_Lola

MINI_Lola New Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Management Analyst for DoD, HQMC
    Annandale, VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is my first dragon and I think it's just a personal judgement call. My stepkids are 14/16 and are "too cool" to spend a weekend without electronics and around MINIacs so heck no they're not coming. Haha! Vacation for hubby and I!

11. Carve906

Carve906 Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I second (or is it third now?) the pinewood derby idea for an 11yr old. Not only that, but if he likes minis, there is nothing better than hundreds of them everywhere! You could always spend a day 'away' from the drives too if he seems to be getting burnt out on minis. Plenty to do in the area as alternatives.

12. FranticFreddy

FranticFreddy Drive-N-Eat
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Some Where between here and there.
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I took my then 12 year old daughter with me to MOTD5. (Our first) This necessitated me signing her out of school for 3 days (which she did not mind but Mom had misgivings about.:mad5:) Since then she has been to all but one. She does have a hard time giving up the texting while we are there. ( Hourly trips to the upper dam parking lot for the burst of text messages she receives:rolleyes5:)

I have to say that I have no problem getting someone to ride along and she really gets into it. One year she had me almost convince to get her a 4 point harness as she was tired of getting thrown out the window while going over the Dragon.

Hopefully she will be along again this year, but the dates conflict with her senior trip. :(

For my daughter and me it was and still is a great bonding experience.
    Oh and now she is looking for a Pepper white R53 so she can drive the dragon in her own MINI!:devil:

13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    We are all kids, but hopefully fewer will drive like children. :D

14. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    My experience with kids at car events for over 30 years is pretty simple.

Good kids are welcome everywhere and are a pleasure to be around. Not so good kids on the other hand......

Both of my kids grew up in parking lots and race tracks all up and down the east coast. Personally, I think they're the better for it!

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    My son is 15 this year. This will be our 4th MOTD. I can't tell you how much fun we have together. We load the Mini up with camping gear and have a great time cooking out over a fire every night. Year before last we got stuck in a small town for a night trying to get home. That was the year Nashville flooded. The next day we were the only car headed west on I-40. the only we made it home the next day was because we had the C.B. with us. Never leave home with out it!
    It was a great adventure we will both always remember. I sure your son and you will have a good time.
    Hope to see you there.

16. fastrack1

fastrack1 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Last year I was in a group that was on a very spirited run of the Dragon and I was behind a couple whose 8-10 yr. old daughter was in the backseat.

Seeing that my passenger almost threw up on a few occasions, I have no idea how that little girl made it.