3rd Gen F54 Clubman Thoughts on the new F54 Clubman

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by BruceK, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I would guess the 4 door sedan made sense with the new clubman coming along. I bet there is a lot of commonality in their parts. Both being stretched F56 variants.

Edit.... Is the 8 speed auto a dual clutch unit or a torque converter box?

2. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #23 Crashton, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Is that a transmission? Looks more like a pasta maker. Looking at the diagram in the link I see a torque converter.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #24 Metalman, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
    Whoops.... Don't like Dual clutch transmissions?

5th Gear: Dual-Clutch Decline?

We are fortunate to live in an era when automatic transmissions don’t completely suck anymore, for the most part. For a long time dual-clutch gearboxes were positioned as the future of the autobox thanks to stellar performance. But Automotive News posits they’ve had a harder time out of the gate than expected:

Ford Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. suffered a spate of complaints after introducing dual- clutch transmissions in the Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta and Acura TLX. And Fiat Chrysler — which once planned to produce 700,000 dual- shift gearboxes a year in the U.S. — has dropped it from its long-term plans for North America.

Consumer Reports and J.D. Power have both reported a sharp uptick in complaints about faulty transmissions, as automakers seeking better fuel economy rolled out dual-clutch gearboxes, continuously variable transmissions and eight- and nine-speed transmissions.

“In the past, transmissions were things you could count on, but that’s no longer true,†said Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports’ director of auto testing. “We are seeing major problems that will leave people stranded on the side of the road.â€
    Part of the problem is consumer expectations, AN reports. Americans aren’t used to the low-speed shudder and manual-like behavior that DCTs sometimes exhibit, and that’s led to both complaints and lawsuits. “If people aren’t used to it, they think something is wrong,†a researcher said. Of course."]5th Gear: Dual-Clutch Decline?

We are fortunate to live in an era when automatic transmissions don’t completely suck anymore, for the most part. For a long time dual-clutch gearboxes were positioned as the future of the autobox thanks to stellar performance. But Automotive News posits they’ve had a harder time out of the gate than expected:

Ford Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. suffered a spate of complaints after introducing dual- clutch transmissions in the Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta and Acura TLX. And Fiat Chrysler — which once planned to produce 700,000 dual- shift gearboxes a year in the U.S. — has dropped it from its long-term plans for North America.

Consumer Reports and J.D. Power have both reported a sharp uptick in complaints about faulty transmissions, as automakers seeking better fuel economy rolled out dual-clutch gearboxes, continuously variable transmissions and eight- and nine-speed transmissions.

“In the past, transmissions were things you could count on, but that’s no longer true,†said Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports’ director of auto testing. “We are seeing major problems that will leave people stranded on the side of the road.â€
    Part of the problem is consumer expectations, AN reports. Americans aren’t used to the low-speed shudder and manual-like behavior that DCTs sometimes exhibit, and that’s led to both complaints and lawsuits. “If peope aren’t used to it, they think something is wrong,†a researcher said. Of course.

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Seems VW & Audrey had their fair share of complaints about the DSG when they were first rolled out. They even extended the warranty on the early ones. For me it seems to be a very good box-o-cogs. It does not feel like a torque converter autobox. The syrupy smoothness of a torque converter is not there. It is most notable in slow stop & go traffic. It takes a second for the clutch to engage. Not a problem for me, but I'm sure for many that lack of syrup it a major complaint. Once moving the it snaps off shifts at an amazing clip, either row it yourself or in full auto mode. For folks who think of a car as an appliance a quick shifting bang gearbox is not going to make them happy. I think that is the crux of the problem.

VW realizes that these things need to be service. Oil & filter change every 40,000 miles. Don't know why they don't use BMW/MINI's lifetime fluids.

Just my .02 on the only dual clutch box I have ever sampled. :D

5. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    So does anybody here actually own a Clubman yet ? My wife seems kind of interested in looking into a Clubman. But the way they've made the option packages here is like our cable company. If you want just that one option, you have to buy somewhat expensive packages.

example: If you want LED headlights, you can only buy them if buy an additional package that includes sunroof, heated seats, front and rear foglights.
    paddle shifters only available with the Sport transmission, which is only available with JCW model and LED headlights and the other stuff you have to get if you want the headlights.

6. Zazoh

Zazoh New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Programer
    South Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A few years back I wanted a clubman. Waited too long, I ended up getting 4-door hardtop, only a few inches longer than the 3 door. I looked at the Clubmans on the lot, from a certain angle it wasn't even recognizable as a MINI, too me. I know they are. I talked to the salesman about it, he said they have had lots of trouble moving them from day one, at the dealer I was at.

It's just a new class of car for MINI, like the Countryman was a few years ago. But they should be honest, it isn't the old clubman in any way shape or form.