1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Thoughts on this oil pan gasket "fix"?

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm an old Alfa Romeo guy. If it ant dripping don't mess with it. It will be fine!:D

2. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    thats ghetto.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Engines always seep, weep & leak a bit. It's the nature of the beast.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmm.... Kinda looks like the thieves might not know how to work "Le Manuel" transmission.... Bunch of shiftless crooks....

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Your guy screwed up when installing the new pan gasket. Adding a layer of RTV over the seam is kind of laughable. I agree with Dave it is more than likely leaking down from somewhere else.

Funny think is every single time my MINI went to the dealer (after warranty) I was told of the terrible oil pan leak it had. Didn't leak oil on the floor & didn't use oil. Go figure. No I never gave in to their $650 sob story.

6. zr0z

zr0z New Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice all, I'll keep an eye on the pan and check it in a few weeks to see if I notice the oil more.

Both the oil pan gasket and the crank sensor gasket were leaking when I bought it, as confirmed by the MINI dealer I got it from (I got a big discount due to it), an independent euro shop that did a pre purchase inspection, myself and my own mechanic.

I guess I should be satisfied if it doesn't leak.

7. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    silicon sealer - like RTV Silicone Sealers? Other than silicone likes dirty/dust should be ok. I kind of wonder why the new oil pan gasket wasn't sealing or leaking. Did your mechanic follow the torque sequencing?

Another place these things like to leak oil (r53) is from the crank sensor o-ring found on the front of the motor. The symptoms of this leaking oil is as you described - oil covering oil pan, not really dripping or leaking on the ground.

If its not leaking now seems like all good.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    He said they replaced the crank sensor o-ring.

Truth be told, I've never seen an original oil pan gasket leaking on a R53.....a lot of people think that's where it's coming from, but everyone I've seen was leaking down from somewhere else - the oil follows the lip of the pan and makes it look like that's where it's coming from, but it's always something else.

You need to check more carefully, there are lots of places where the engine could be leaking from - oil cooler, oil press sensor, valve cover gasket, crank seals etc. They make a kit that has an additive you pour in your oil, drive it for a few days then use a black light to see where the oil is coming from.

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Covered with silicone sealer? If it keeps leaking, wouldn't that make a big "oil balloon" where the leak is?:D

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I think if a "professional" mechanic tried to get me to smeer silicone on the outside of a NEW gasket to stop a leak...he was paid to fix it...and is trying to do a backyard diy fix to "fix" it till his labor warrenty is over....kinda sleezy IMO...
    I would be dropping off the car and saying fix it, or I want my $$ back....
    The amount of the leak it weep is the kicker here...
    I sold my 2005 after 10 years.....had a weep....but not a leak...aka it got dirty, but never looked "wet"...had about 95,000, and I bet 90% of the oil was from the CPS, still original.... But never added more than half a quart between 7500 mile oil changes....so never was in a rush to fix it..
    Some WERE good from the factory.....

11. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    it depends on a lot of factors. but overall they are good cars.

12. zr0z

zr0z New Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thats what I thought when he told me, but it doesn't look like it was badly done. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and come back the second there are any more drips. It is better than small drips coming from the bolts all around the pan... Yes, they were "wet" to the point I could soak it up on a paper towel.

As a fun fact, someone broke in to the shop the night I picked it up! They took all of the keys and stole a bunch of cars, his words were "Be glad you picked your car up, because it might be gone now" when I talked to him recently. It isn't even in a bad area.

They took a Lexus GS and Chrysler 300 but left the C5 Vette, 500whp RSX Type S turbo, R32 GTR and a few S14s.