Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Throttle Lag??

1. 1r53

1r53 New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I ordered a fruit juice blender from Doc Brown, and started feeding my MINI, the hopes and dreams of small children, and the occasional beer can. My throttle responce is awesome. :D

2. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's an electronic throttle, so it's not nearly as "responsive" as the old cabled throttle linkages were.

I believe some tuners can remap the throttle, and have it "open" sooner... and there's a "sprint booster" I believe (?) which does similar things.

Of course, there is one benefit to this, or can be at least in theory. Assistance with traction control! Everyone seems to want to speed up the opening of the throttle, but of course, too much power and the tires can lose traction.

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    As Rooster pointed out some Tuners change the throttle response as part of their ECU tune.
    If you do not want to get an ECU tune the Sprint Booster is an alternative that many people have been happy with. It has a 30 day money back guarrantee so you can try it and if you do not like it, just return for a full refund. The new Sprint Booster has three settings to better match different user preferences.
    Here is a link at Mini Mania for more info:
    MINI Cooper - SPRINT BOOSTER FOR MINI - NEW SPORT, FACTORY, AND - new.MiniMania.com
    I beileve I recently saw a sale ad for the Sprint Booster in the high $200 range instead of over $300. So if interested, you might want to search around for a lower price.

Various people in the club have talked about purchasing the Booster but I do not think anyone has actually brought one yet. We can ask on Saturday. I plan to someday spend $400 on an custom ECU Tune rather than $300 on just the throttle response change.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Are you using the Sport Button? If that isn't enough then the Sprint Booster should cure your anxiety. :D

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I love the Sprint Booster from WMW. There are a lot of nae sayers out there, but the SB coupled with the Sport Button makes a real difference. :Thumbsup:

Jim

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Is it true that you changed your signature after you installed your Sprint Booster?

7. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #7 MiniHockey, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Sport Button??? I have an 06. Do I have a sport button?

I looks like the Sprint Booster is 250-300.
    Couldnt I get a RMW Flash tool for 300-350?

Which would be better?

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    No sport button for you...best excuse to buy a Sprint Booster.

9. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It depends on what else you want. A RMW tune is much more expensive, but gives you increased torque and overall HP. If you just want to get rid of the throttle lag, try a Shark ECU. I got mine for $150. got a small HP increase, higher revs, and no throttle lag. It's a great buy for the money!

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    A RMW custom tune with dyno time is about $400. I am not sure the final cost of a remote tune after buying tool and cables plus a couple of tune adjustments by Jan. Since we live in CA and can get to RMW I suspect it is much better to get a custom tune from Jan in So. Cal than do a remote tune. I also do not know how much Mynes/ABF/Gruppe-S (whatever their current name is) is charging for tunes because I can never find them on the web.

I believe that RMW (Jan) does change the throttle response with his tune but it would be worth checking with him to make sure. The custom tune is a much better way to go because it increases horsepower and torque not just change the throttle response. However, the tune is more expensive.

11. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I had the Shark ECU tune on my previous Mini with some mods and it worked great for the price. However, I am not sure it is worth it on a stock car.

12. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    #12 Way Motor Works, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    We have two good solutions for you. With all of our ECU tunes we change the throttle maps to improve the throttle responce. Your second option is a Sprint Booster, it will improve the throttle also, but not gain you power like our tune.

The shark injector does NOT change any fuel maps or throttle maps so the throttle responce will be the same.

Hope that helps.

13. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, yes I did, but it had nothing to do with the Sprint Booster. :D

I can not speak for the MCS, since I do not have one, but the Sprint Booster is a great addition for the justa. :Thumbsup:

Jim

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    All good suggestions

Way also has a replacement to the OEM Blow Off Valve that reduces allot of the turbo lag. Works great

15. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Not a lot of turbo lag on SC'd car. LOL

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Try a cold air intake. That sharpened the throttle response on my car. When I used to go back and forth between my 06 MCS and my parents' stock 05 MCS, I could feel a difference in response. Not as big of a difference as I'd expect a tune to make, but it was significant.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

You really need to get rid of the Shark tune. It has been shown to actually be worse for the car than the stock tune.

And as Way has said it really doesn't do much to the car.

For the R53, the best options are to get a custom tune or the Sprint Booster. The availability of the custom tune is dependant on where you are and the proximity of a shop or tuning party.

18. 10Zero

10Zero New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Westminster CO
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings: