Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Throttle Lag??

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MiniHockey, Nov 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Double :blush2::blush2:

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Tim, me too :blush2::blush2::blush2:, I asked why he wasn't using his Sport Button :eek:

3. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I bought my '06 MCS and thought the same thing about the throttle response. It was awful compared to the cable linked throttles I'd been used to.

I brought it home and read up on it some and decided to reset the ECU and go drive it like I wanted, rather than how the dealership/previous owner had driven it. This made a noticeable difference in how it felt. I'm not as experienced as most of the posters on this forum, but I know what I felt prior to and after resetting the ECU. It still has throttle lag, but it was pronounced and almost dangerous prior.

4. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How does the car feel now after the ecu reset? Which method did you use to reset the ecu (aka Clearing Adaptations)?

5. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #25 Zeyk_Shade, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    I used the method from the inside of the car, using the on board computer. Lemme see if I can find the steps again.

The throttle was markedly more responsive after resetting it and driving it in a spirited manner for a few miles. I'm not going to say that it 100% removed throttle lag, but it made it not so much an issue that I don't mind it anymore.

I know the real way to do it would be to have a tuner flash the ECU or to have BMW service remove the adaptations. All I know is that before I did this, the lag was so pronounced that it was dangerous if I was trying to shoot a gap pulling out in traffic or especially when turning left in front of on coming traffic. After doing this procedure, I don't have to worry about it at all. When I first test drove the car the throttle lag was really hard to get used to and I almost stalled it twice in the parking lot trying to feel for mesh point with proper rpms.

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    There is an assumption that the concern is tune?ECU related? The first measure is to determine the engine and running gears condition. While it may not be apparent in the daily driving but you may have a mechanical to toss into the equation of your concern? Do a simple compression check of the engine. Also carefully look at all the other power producing components. i.e. air filter, *spark plugs, *wires, intake boots, vacuum/air lines...etc. If after all these have been effectively ruled out than continue with the "GREAT" suggestions here on this thread. To augment adding a product or procedure increasing an engine output also increases an existing questionable power train condition as well.

7. 1r53

1r53 New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I ordered a fruit juice blender from Doc Brown, and started feeding my MINI, the hopes and dreams of small children, and the occasional beer can. My throttle responce is awesome. :D

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I also wonder how much of this discussion of throttle lag is just due to the lack of boost till the motor winds up a bit?

I know that in my '03 on a hot summer day with the A/C on, it was an absolute dog till it got moving a bit, then it was fine....

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Minidave Another good point to think about is how one is comparing the throttle lag or lack/loss of familiar throttle response. Most of us without a frame of reference comparing another MINIs performance really do not know what we are missing or not? Also a review of all the dyno graphs can show why throttle response at low rpw is apparent. Not much torque or HP to move a 2500lb+ object? Now place into the equation components of engine parasitic drag such as AC compressors or Alternators running high output and you have a partial answer to the question of throttle response?

10. 1r53

1r53 New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im with Nitrominis on this one, I could tell a huge difference in "throttle" response after I removed my a/c and weight from the car.

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Exactly, and no amount of Sprint Boosters will cure that...