Most liked posts in thread: Through The Visor - Isle of Man TT 2018

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That is quite the place & one must have huge skill & passion to do that. I'm in awe of those guys. How they do it I'll never know. Very large attachments on those racers.

2. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Great video. It's an amazing race. U.S. would never hold a race like that as someone dies bout every year and then after the race they let the general public run the course and again someone dies every year, but for that little country it is like 70% of their income for the year, is generated from the race...

They even run side cars out there and that is cool to watch...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    100% Agree - US would never allow that or even the Targa Newfoundland I don't think.. here is a video of a MINI running that:

Isle - is also a grey area "tax" haven for the UK or EU (can't remember if it's both)... that they are now taking a position on. From what I understand at least in the UK, they are going back and charging folks back taxes even if they spent the "required" amount of time there. Either way, they have this and car races there... it's just crazy.

4. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yea, when I was racing bikes were very fast.. literally the first day on the track at full speed... it was a blur. You realized no matter how fast you were, the other people out there were way faster. I cannot imagine racing a 750 or 1000 now.. would just be crazy fast.

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Grapefruits... :eek:

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I think the reason an open road race like that would never happen in the US is the roads. No one would put up with their roads being closed.

In a past life I helped organize a Pro Rally here in Ohio. Every year it got harder to get road use permits even though we used mostly state forest roads. Eventually it just became impossible. Sad day when that happened.

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    When I was in highschool, I worked at a gas station, my boss, who was also the mechanic, traded a tape recorder for a BSA Goldstar 500, that had been prepared by the factory to compete in the Isle of Man TT. It had all the documentation and logs that proved it genuine. My boss started it and went for a quick ride About an hour later he came back pushing it! I asked him if it broke down, he said, " Hell no, it's too fast, it scared the crap out of me!"

It sat around the garage for a month or so and he traded it for something else.