1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Time for a clutch....what else ?

1. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Definitely look at the control arm bushings. If you haven't replaced them yet, now is the time. Also, go through every other control or steering joint on the car and replace anything that is the least bit loose.

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Def go for some powerflex control arm bushings.

Otherwise are you planning on pulling the motor?? Is that why you have the timing chain and tensioner listed?? and supercharger?

3. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #4 KC Jr 54, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    Well i guess a list of whats been done should be listed:
    Powerflex CA Bushings
    " " Sway bar and steering rack bushings
    Both wheel bearing/hubs
    Ball Joints
    Tie-rod assemblies
    PS Pump
    PS Fan (thanks K-huevo!!)
    s/c Inlet tube and gasket

I havent decided which way i am going to go about doing the clutch. I really think im going to pull the whole unit though, just so i can address the mess my axle boots have made....

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    If you've got the whole front end off for the supercharger oil, you might as well pull the engine to do the clutch. That'll make the power steering pump and front sway bar bushings easier. Also look at doing the water pump, crank sensor o-ring, and oil pan gasket while you're in there.

How are you planning on doing the timing chain? Isn't that on the opposite side of the engine as the transmission? I'd say save that one for your 200k service.

5. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thats the reason why i was looking at pulling the whole motor. The timing chain isnt a MUST, but i think the tensioner is, as i get a bit of rattling on first start up after the car has sat for a couple of days.

The sway bay bushings and PS pump were done roughly 30k ago, so those are good for some time to come.

So adding to the list:
    Oil Pan gasket
    Crank Sensor o-ring.

Thanks to those that have chimed in so far !

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Well, if you're gonna pull the timing chain, I think you need to remove the crank pulley, and there's a seal behind there that's known to leak. Might as well add that to the list.

7. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Ehh the timing chain might wait. It doesnt need to be removed to do the tensioner, so if the chain is good until 200k, then so be it. The Harmonic Balancer is something else i considered, but might wait a little while on that because it is pretty easy to get to later. Same with the belt tensioner.