1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Timing Chain Rails

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I think a full engine rebuild is a little overkill for a guy in college.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I just replaced all that stuff too. Not just the guides but the chain and sprockets too. If you are in there it just makes sense to me to change it all.

3. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like a full engine rebuild since you're in there, you might as well do a valve job, rings, even bore the cylinders and oversize your pistons. It'll be a brand new engine. That 800 miles you need to drive will have to be gentle for a break-in period.

4. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    #5 clifforddward, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Timing chain rails can be replaced from the topside without concern over engine timing (and the cost of associated tool to hold everything in place)...but first need to determine if your rails are worn. Could be that the tensioner is the only thing needing to be replaced. If you want to check the rails they can be pulled from the top, requires removal of the head cover (which will want a new gasket upon re-install), removal of the chain tensioner, and maybe some removal of stuff on the front side of the engine to get at the bolts holding the tensioner.

15k seems a long time from first hearing the sound until replacement of the tensioner....did it take you that long to diagnose? Had you replaced the tensioner shortly after the noise first appeared I'd have said highly unlikely the guides would be worn...Given the time you were running without a functioning tensioner there is a possibility of additional wear on the guides from them flopping around.

Timing chain and sprocket wear (both chain and sprockets should be replaced together) are really more a mileage related wear item....you did not mention mileage on car, but is is fairly common for the timing chain/sprockets to be good til well past 100k, particularly if oil has been regularly changed and engine maintained.

I agree with Dave.0, a full engine rebuild seems excessive for the issue as stated.