2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Timing Chain Tensioner & Engine Oil

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by genik, Mar 15, 2014.

1. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    1. Is it possible to lose engine oil from the timing chain tensioner?
    2. If so, under what circumstances can this happen?

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    1.+2. Only if the valve cover gasket is leaking.

MINI usually describes this condition the other way around. Low oil level(they say) causes the tensioner/oiler to run dry and malfunction. However, the R56 07-09 had poorly designed tensioner oilers that malfunctioned and have been replaced with a better design(we hope). I hope that this helps.

Jason

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, the tensioner can leak externally - if it loosens up. They had a rash of these in 2010....some have described it as looking like a bolt - it's like that in that it has a big hex head and it threads into the cylinder head with a copper washer, much like the oil pan drain plug.

The way to check it is simply put a big ass wrench on it and see if it's loose.

BTW, I'm speaking of an R56....

4. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Had a Mini SA tell me that after sitting unused for a couple weeks, oil "bleeds" out of the tensioner (internally, not externally) and when the engine is started again, take it easy "for awhile" while oil builds up pressure in the tensioner again.

He told me this while I was waiting for my chain / tensioner to be replaced. New tensioners aren't supposed to have this problem.

5. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean oil was bleeding out of the tensioner internally? Pls elaborate

6. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    The tensioner is a hydraulic cylinder, and is pressurized to apply tension and keep the chain taut. When the engine is not running --- no oil pressure applied. The original tensioner apparently has a faulty seal, allowing the pressure to bleed off --- internally, not an external, visible leak.

7. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    if its bleeding internally, where is the oil dripping to? (i think i haven't understood your explanation :biggrin5: )

8. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    A leaky tensioner will drain back into the oil pan. The oil will drain along the same paths that oil from the valve springs, cams, etc, drain.

This is a different problem from a loose tensioner. Loose will cause oil to leak past the mounting threads --- an "external" leak, and very visible. A perfectly good tensioner can be loose and cause your oil leak. A loose chain can come from stretching, broken guides, or a faulty tensioner.