Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Timing chain tensioner tips? (1st gen)

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by BlimeyCabrio, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I want to replace my timing chain tensioner as PM - I think I'm still on the original, with 130k pretty tough miles on it... I've had a bit of the "sewing machine" rattle for a while, suspect I have enough chain and guide wear to give some extra slack. Gonna try the washer fix and figured I might as well use a new tensioner while I'm at it.

I have a new one in hand, but have never done this particular thing before. I've seen it done once, and have read about three different approaches. Wanted to get some pointers.

The Bentley manual says to install it retracted, then use a steel bar to release it. Of course, this requires the valve cover to be off... I don't have any other reason to remove the valve cover and related bits at this time, and would like to avoid it.

Keith's cam install instructions don't say anything about using the bar to release it, imply that oil pressure will do the trick after the car is started. Is that right?

I read another thread somewhere that said you could install it extended, if you pushed the car fore or aft in gear to induce slack in the rear side of the chain while installing.

Those who have lots of experience installing these - guide me on the best approach, with the least work...

Thanks

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I do not know myself but I am interested in the answer.

3. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    1 & 3 work for sure, 2 usually works but does have a chance that it won't.

I've opted for 3 everytime I've pulled mine.

Besides if 3 doesn't work for you, you can always go right to 2 with no extra effort.

4. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #4 BlwnAway, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Oh, just make sure, no matter which method you choose, you torque it properly.

Big sloppy mess if it loosens up & real mess & bad juju if it would come out completely & you didn't catch it right away.

And, you really shouldn't need to do the washer trick, it's such a "no big deal" to pull again, I'd do it without the washer first & then only do it if you need to.

I'm still on my original guides & chain.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Yes

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    All three ways worked fine in my experiance.
    I pull the ECU relay and turn the engine over to aquire OP, then install the relay and fire the engine..... it is all good.

Just me.................................

Thumper