2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Malfunction Message

1. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    Look at the sensor receiver up in the front core support area in the drivers front wheel well area/front bumper. my guess is they forgot to plug it back in. but the only way to really know why it is not working is scan the car and the sensors.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Automakers and government... making cars more complex than they need to be, since 1966

3. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    Well as a side note, there are 5 boxes like that on the car. one on each corner and one in the back bumper. look at the other side to see if they took the whole front clip off. not sure why they would of....but they also disconnected the side they should not have.

4. wnspecht

wnspecht New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The screen has all four tires grayed out and it just says TPM Malfunction across the bottom. It will let you select and click the reset button, but it just goes back to TPM Malfunction.

Thanks.

5. wnspecht

wnspecht New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much Detroit Tuned, I believe you called it right. I pulled the right front wheel off, and the front half of the fender liner, exposing the back of all of the lights an stuff, and found the other unit also disconnected. I cannot believe they managed to plug back in everything except those exact two things -- and why? Although the are in different places on the left and right sides, how could someone plug in six or eight things and not notice the one more hanging there doing nothing??? And what were the odds that it would be the TPM sensor on both sides?? The left one was low and toward the center of the car (to the right) of the lights. The right one was high and directly above the lights.
    Anyway, the display now says -- and stays on -- Resetting TPM. Of course, as I mentioned, I found and removed a worn-through clutch hydraulic line, so I can't drive the car until I get the new part installed. I ordered it today and should have it in on Saturday. I am confident that the TPM will finish resetting properly after I am able to drive the car.
    If not, I'll be back...
    Thanks again!

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Does it tell you that a certain wheel is out or that all of them are out? Once when 1 of mine were out, it was caused by a careless tire changer who mangled the sensor. A new sensor and all was well. If all of them are out then yes something in the line was mangled. Do also check that all tire pressures are equal as this could also cause your problem.

Jason

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0

Rats, I was hoping for a simple fix. Well the gear heads that are smarter than me should be along shortly so I'll bump you back to the top of the list. Good Luck.

Jason

8. wnspecht

wnspecht New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Solid hit Detroit Tuned! But, still not there... I pulled the left front wheel off, pulled off the front half of the fender liner, and after some searching found a black box with its connector disconnected. It was pretty much behind the front bumper, wedged (toward the center of the car) next to the washer fluid tank. I snapped in the plug, put everything back and was ready to turn the car on and declare victory. I THINK it is malfunctioning differently now, but it is still malfunctioning. I may not of noticed before, but watching the screen now it says "TPM resetting" briefly, then goes back to TPM Malfunction.

I'm working in my driveway and ran out of time and light tonight, but wonder if there is the same problem on the right front tire. Also can't figure out why these would have to have been unplugged to drop the subframe and replace the clutch.

Side note: I found another thread here where someone else was looking for the central antenna on a 2008 Clubman. I am still curious where they hid it on the 2009 Cooper S.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/16963-2008-mini-r56-base-model-hatch-where-antenna-rdc.html

Another note, the guys that installed the clutch also bent the hydraulic pipe that actuates the clutch in such a way that it was rubbing up against the drive axle for the left front tire. The pipe had worn through and has a pinhole that is dripping fluid. So, now I have THAT job to look forward to, also.