Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Tires for my new 7x17s - Your opinion/recommendation

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by old81, May 5, 2009.

1. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Ok, time to break some ground.

I posted this down in the 1st Gen area, but now I have moved the post to here with some more information, I gathered today.

Today I spent some time at my local tire store in Boulder, Colorado (Tire Source on 30th St.), they cater to the race crowd in a big way.

So all over the spectrum. I sized tires in 205/45/17 and 215/45/17.

See my usage above.

205/45/17 pricing is approximate with m/b/new rubber stem.

Bridgestone RE11 $172

Yokohama AD08 $193

Yokohama S-Drive $132

Michelin Exalto PE2 $143 (before $60 visa card).

215/45/17 pricing as above.

Nitto NeoGen $97

Bridgestone RE11 $179

Falken Azenis Sport RT615? $132

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec $158

Hankook RS2 $142

Kumho XS $139

Yokohama A008 $201

My racing background says go sticky and go wide. :)

The practical side says go UHP not EP and try to save a buck or two. :nonod:

If they fit, I might go with the Kumho XS, but I'm really not sure how they will do as my general street tire.

I will be mounting up a set of F1 GS-D3s on my 16s to use as my heavy lapping day tires, a little lighter wheel.

Plus I will not scream as much if I munge up the 16s versus my 09 Challenge wheels.

Thoughts, recommendations. I'm looking for real experience or very good input. Thanks in advance.

I will probably order tires Wed. night or Thursday morning for a Friday install.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Cross the Yoko A008 off your list, it's a 25 year old design at this point and tire technology has gotten much better.

I've used the Hankook RS2 before as a track tire and it lasted quite long, so long in fact the compound was dead before the tread was gone.

The AD08 is a brand new tire, just coming on the market. Saw my first one at MOTD in fact in the Yoko booth there. Some early production models were available to Time Attack drivers but I don't much about them. At almost $200 ea thats a lot for an unproven tire on a MINI, seems as the Scooby folks like then though. Of course the Yoko rep was very happy with the massive 295's on the back of his Z Car, and he does track them at Road Atlanta often.

S-Drive, run away, don't even think about them, good rain tires, not for the track at all.

The rest I have no experience with.

3. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know where you're getting those tire prices, and maybe the idea is simply to get relative prices, but Edge Racing has the Falken RT-615s for $92ish, significantly less than the $132 you quote. I've bought from them, so they are legit.
    I have had good luck with the RT-615s, but not so with the Yokohama Spec2s I run now. They are just too loud and handle unpredictably. I can't and prolly won't wait for them to wear out.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Umm...Edge Racing went out of business.

5. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Ordering tires on line is less expensive, but some tire shops charge more to mount/balance if tires aren't purchased from 'em. At least that was my experience when shopping for tires for my truck.

6. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Thanks for the comments. My Boulder dealer is a Tirerack +++ installer, too.

When you compare his pricing with TR and shipping, it's pretty close, not at the bottom of the scale but good.

I'm still searching. I am thinking I will go for a UHP or Max Perf. and not an EP.

Road comfort versus sticky on the track two or three times each summer.

I do have my 16s with GY DS-G3s for lapping days.

Again, comments? And Thanks for the inputs. :smile5:

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Again Thanks, DrP, I really like the folks at EdgeRacing. Where did some of those folks go?

Anyone know?

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    FWIW.... I'm really liking my NeoGens.... I'm confident some of the other tires will be a little stiffer and a little stickier... but for the price..... the NeoGens are fantastic and seem to be wearing well. If you were looking for one set to use for street and track days, I'd suggest something else... but as a primary street tire for a guy who likes to drive hard... the NG's are a steal... and save a ton of money for other mods....

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    #9 old81, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    Thanks Paul, I'm leaning toward the Exaltos or the NeoGens, but want the XSs but then I would need another set of light wheels to really make the XSs great on track. :)

Just not going to happen soon, to much going out just to comfortable on track, XP10/XP8 pads and stuff.

Paul, a quick question, you running 215/45/17 or 16 on your NeoGens?

Thanks,
    Don

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I just got a set of the Neo Gen's (215/35/18)

After exhaustive research (you'd think I had better things to do!, but a OC Mini owner knows no bounds) I came across the Nitto's. I found em' on a test by Consumer Reports for Ultra High Perforamance All Seasons. Supposed to be sticky wet/dry and wear evenly with some longevity.

Asked the boys on NAM and got good feedback

Installing next week when set of wheels #2 shows up.

CAN NOT WAIT!

Will post back when I get a couple miles on em'

Been dealing with some

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Thanks Tim, I will probably go the NeoGens on my Challenge Wheels.

Really don't need the XS's or want the them for daily drivers. :cryin:

12. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    NeoGens

Update:

I decided to order Nitto NeoGens in 215/45/17 for the 09 JCW Challenge wheels. :aureola:

Timing and overall need. I will let you know what I think after I get them on the wheels in a couple of weeks.

Our local dealer and warehouse is now waiting for a lot of UHP tires to be shipped as a lot are on back order.

It must be summer and racing season. :lol:

Thanks to all for the commentary and help.

Don

13. MINIMaybee

MINIMaybee Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think you'll like the Nittos Don. Very sticky IMO, not such a harsh ride and minimal road noise - good DD tires. Plus they look aggressive.

14. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

Don,
    What did you end up getting? Never mind. There is a page 2!

15. oldskool

oldskool New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 23, 2009
    bothering nathan
    i live in florida.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run the neo's currently as my street tire , they were a bit squirmy at first, but once they had a few miles on them they have proved to be very competent. They are great in foreward bite especially in wet situations very common here in south florida. I would not use them on the track as they would most likely suck. They do wear like steel...The falkens they replaced...615's were very good, but also quite a more expensive product...as you know we were stretching the budget more this time due to an increase in bodywork costs....guardrails just dont yield...

16. JENGLAND

JENGLAND New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am running 235/40/17 Dunlop Star Spec tires on my 17x7 et 40 wheels and love the look and unlimited grip!

17. xalfa

xalfa New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm too late, but...

215/40-17 Hankook RS2s still available at TireRack for $75 each.

Currently Available Prices and Sizes

Great deal. Got these after burning through the Kumho XS in about 15k miles. I think I like the Hankooks better. Sidewall seems stiffer and turn in crisper, with just as much total grip. Prior to the Kumhos I had the Z1s, which were way too stiff for a MINI-weight car as a street tire, imo. Great on the track, though...

18. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    truly appreciate this input.
    my pirelli p zeros are worn and have been having fun running some 15inch holies /BFG's
    but want to get a 215/45 17 back on my konig feathers.
    was considering Yoko S drives , but mounting negative reviews has me leaning to
    kumho or nitto.
    boxcars

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Follow up to my post install.

6 mo's on and the Neo Gen's still get a huge thumbs up. Think Blimey and I agreed on a great adjective 'predictable'. Great road tires, work great in the rain, you can corner about as hard as the MINI can. Believe me Paul and I tried at MSSD. I have not taken them on the track so I can't speak to that....yet

I got the 215/35/18's and my only regret is not getting the 215/40's or even the 225/40's

20. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just put on a set of kumho ecsta ASX 215/45x17 and I love them. I got them from Discount Tire Direct (800-589-6789). Talk to Brad, ext.51859. There was a sale and I only paid $85.00 per. I live in n.w. Pa. and you never know what the weather brings.
    My 2 cents :crazy:

Mark