2nd Gen R60 Countryman To "S" or Not to "S"........ that is the question.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Katxoxo, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Katxoxo

Katxoxo New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Isle of Long (New York)
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all.

I am totally new to the Mini Cooper scene. Was convinced I would buy a Cooper Hardtop (non-S) but after seeing the Countryman....that is MY car!

I am in the process of deciding on a Countryman S or regular Countryman base (non-S).

I have been told by the salesperson that given its weight and added size/length, that I would regret going with a non-S model (he had previously encouraged me to buy a Hardtop without the S as he felt it wasn't necessary as the car -- he suggested -- had enough zip without it).

I would love to hear your opinions on the matter. As a little background, I am moving out of a 2005 Thunderbird (13-14 mpgs) and the impetus to buy a Mini is gas mileage, functionality and space. Additionally, had some misfortunes with pre-cancerous cells on my face from years of being a rag top gal......so having a convertible around is too much a temptation. Put all of that together with the high costs of fuel -- and I always loved the look of the Mini -- here I am.

Thanks in advance for your time, experience, advice -- and patience!

-Kathleen
    the Newbie!

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The "reasoning" used by sales people to talk a customer into this, or that car has always amused me. I would say go S, but I am all about the horse power. Certainly not something you will be able to add later.

3. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I say to test drive both versions and see which you prefer. Don't just flog the cars to see what they'll do, try to drive them like you would on a day to day basis and see what fits your driving style.

Back in 2004, I test drove a Jetta. It was peppy and drove ok when I was on it pretty hard, but in "normal" driving, the turbo would spool up and give it a kick in the rear just as I was letting off on the gas to shift....made for an unpleasant drive.

More important than the Justa vs S, make sure you test drive one with the Sport Suspension vs the standand suspension. I don't know what your preferences are, but I'd bet you'll feel more strongly about one suspension package vs the other than you will the engine.

Like our intrepid Super Moderator above, I'm all about maximizing the performance, but you might have a different take on things. I live in the twisty mountains of NW Georgia with mostly good roads and not much traffic. The Isle of Long is a much different motoring envoronment....

4. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    drive each one before you decide.

Drive the non "S" and then the "S" to see if you like or really need the added torque of the Turbo.

Drive in different situations such as traffic etc. Don't be in a big rush on your test drives.

If the non "S" suits you and you like it. It will give better MPG then the "S" but not enough to really make a huge difference.

If your sales person does not want to spend time with you just find one that does. You are the customer and you deserve their time.

There are plenty of non '"S" Mini owners that love their cars and would never own a car with a turbo on it.

Get what you like the best after driving both models.

:Thumbsup:

5. Katxoxo

Katxoxo New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Isle of Long (New York)
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice. Oddly, many of the dealers around here don't have a non-S countryman to test drive. What that is about - not sure.

To be truthful, most of my driving is local/village driving and not often on a highway.

Thanks for the feedback!

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ^This +1

Take the time to fine a dealer where you can drive both back to back, even if you have to travel a ways. You're going to live with this car for a long time. It's worth taking a little extra time to make SURE you make the BEST decision. Also check around for used ones at Carmax, etc. Which are also great places to test drive cars...

7. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hope you have a chance to test drive a non-S CM. For a mostly urban/short trip front drive car with light loads I think it will do well, with 10% better fuel economy compared to the S for moderate driving. It is also less complex mechanically so should be more reliable.

If you frequently carry multiple passengers and cargo however, then the S might be a better choice. In that case, take a few friends with you when you test drive the cars.

8. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    You can get advice from 100 people on here and get a lot of different responces. The best bet is to test drive the different models when you have narrowed it down test drive the your top 2 again. MINI's have a different ride and handle different than most cars so you are best off driving the one you like a few times to be sure this is the ride for you Countryman or Hard top. Make sure it fits your needs. If the sales advisor does not want to help you with this or is bothered by the fact you want to drive multible models maybe they are not the right advisor for you. Getting your new MINI should be a fun experience.

9. Katxoxo

Katxoxo New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Isle of Long (New York)
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again everyone.

To be clear -- I am not being given a hard time by any sales people about the NON-S. And, the sales person at the dealer I intend on purchasing from has been wonderful! No criticisms there and want to be clear on both counts. However, neither of the dealerships I have been to (the one close to home or the one about 20 miles away), have a NON-S Countryman available for test driving; which I find odd.

I honestly don't think a test drive -- half hour here or there -- truly creates enough value in terms of knowing if I need it or not. Surely, there is an appreciable comparable if I drive an S Countryman and immediately followed that by driving a NON-S Countryman in that same visit to a dealer, using the same route. I am sure I could *feel* the difference; however knowing if one or the other will make an appreciable difference over the course of ownership cannot be shown during a one hour use in a controlled enviornment.

For example -- I had a Pontiac Solstice (first generation) and then two years later went onto own a Pontiac Solstice GXP (more horsepower and more torque). Certainly, in driving the two different models in the same visit (both new vehicles rather than my own two year old version), I could feel the difference between rides. That said, however, given my own day-to-day driving patterns, having the GXP didn't impact my commute one way or the other. If someone asked me flat out if the added HP was appreciable in that car and worth the added expense, I would first have to know what kind of driving they are doing, and if they were 'speed' demons, heavy on the pedal, got a rush from speed and/or drive on an open highway. if there is a YES to any of their questions, an GXP over regular would be highly desirable.

I drively locally (no freeway/highway) in stop/go traffic for 30 minutes each way. Generally just me in the car - or with the dogs and some fitness supplies (not heavy weights). I rarely go long distances in the car (travel).

I have test driven a NON-S hardtop and an S Hardtop; if I were to buy the Mini Hardtop, I would 'not' get the S. But, I have decided to go with the Countryman for the added room. I did test drive the Countryman S -- and while I liked the way it handled and felt it had enough 'zip' for me, I cannot help but wonder if the S is necessary or not.

Given the extra almost 800 pounds of car in the Countryman over the Hardtop -- is that difference between the S and NON-S relevant? It wasn't in the Mini Hardtop......

But, since the two closest dealers don't have a Countryman (non-S) available for test driving -- what is a girl to do -- but to ask other owners? :D

Again, many thanks for your time; I truly appreciate it.

10. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Based on your last description, if I were doing that type of driving with mostly light loads, with dogs and /or bulky gear, I would go with the base Countryman.

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    With no freeway/highway driving, I would probably agree.

The biggest impact will be acceleration. Not typically an issue for what you describe as your driving conditions. If I needed that extra "go-pedal" power for passing, getting out of tight spots on the freeway, etc. then it would certainly be of value.

But I haven't driven a base countryman... can't attest to how much "go" it has...

12. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I had a Countryman non-S as a loaner once and thought it was underpowered.
    I'd go for the S.

Just my 2 cents.

13. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Mini estimates a 0-60 mph acceleration of 9.8 sec for the CM. For comparison, the car I raced in SCCA road races in the 1988-1994 period had similar acceleration (a 1986 VW GTI). I know perceptions have changed, but one can still have a lot of fun with a car like that, and do fine in urban driving.

14. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Well if you go for a non S the engine will definitely be working hard... But that is okay, these little non turbo engines have proved to hold up well under lots of abuse. If four wheel drive and power are not your concerns then might was well skip the S.... BUT I would drive it first on a test drive!

In my case the S felt under powered therefore I just had to go and mod it (that's my excuse :D)

Either way I'm sure you will be happy

Kyle

15. Katxoxo

Katxoxo New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Isle of Long (New York)
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well. I did it. I just signed my name on the dotted line! I did end up getting an "S". I realized soon after my last post, that the reason why I drive locally and never take my car out on the freeway/highway, is because it is a two seater with no trunk! It occurred to me that my husband's truck gets all of the miles (up to his parent's 3 hours away) is because my car holds me -- and he is not comfortable for long rides in my Thunderbird. Plus, when we travel we take our dogs with us.

So! I now wait 10 days for my Mini to arrive. I didn't get a lot of fancy bells and whistles like ya'll but I got almost exactly what I wanted.

Thank you again for all of your time, advice and experience!

16. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
  17. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    It won't be long until you're posting pics and stories about all the mods you do to it. There's something about a MINI that'll make you start making changes to it...

18. Katxoxo

Katxoxo New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Isle of Long (New York)
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone! I am pretty excited to be completely honest!

19. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. I think you'll be very happy with your choice!

20. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Terrific! Welcome to the Mini world.