2nd Gen R60 Countryman To "S" or Not to "S"........ that is the question.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Katxoxo, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Can't wait to see the pics!

Kyle

2. MCJoe

MCJoe New Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me, no speed demon, the manual base version will be just fine. To answer your question about why neither of your dealers had a non-S car to drive, it is because they spec out cars based on what the demand is in your area because they don't want to get stuck with a car on their lot that they won't sell. For me, living in the Northeast, it was impossible to find any cars without the cold weather package, and I didn't want the package, so had to order my car. I absolutely HATE heated seats (or bun-warmers as I call them), and would never use them. The other things in the package, while nice, are not necessities for me. I will just have to use a scraper when we get snow and ice.

3. beauxgoris

beauxgoris New Member

May 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We test drove both models (multiple times) and went for the "s" over the base model. The base felt like a brick when we drove it (a bit better in the stick then automatic) but there was serious power issues and lag. We live in the city where zippy driving is a must so this clearly wouldn't work for us. Plus the car felt heavy and clunky. The "s" model was worlds better (in both models). We went for that over other options that we felt weren't worth the money. The nav/connect felt clunky to use plus with iPhones and nav systems available that work just as well if not better it didn't seem worth the extra money. Keep in mind we went in with the intention to buy a base model - but after test drives we realized we wouldn't be happy day to day with it's very limited power. Just our experience though.

p.s. we went for a few fun things like heated seats and driving lights - but the rest of the extras weren't worth as much as the "s" upgrade to us.

HTH

edit: Just backtracked and saw you got the "s" - good move!

4. Katxoxo

Katxoxo New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Isle of Long (New York)
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing your advice and experience. I appreciate it, even post-decision.

I considered the driving lights but for whatever reason, decided against them -- I did get the heated seats (cold weather package), pana roof, and bluetooth (although it really is not very intuitive and the interface is really awkward, my Mojave Jeep's bluetooth is crazy simple and well integrated). I am not really a bells and whistle type of girl....I am not high maintenance at all and tend to agree that the options are often not worth the price.

Of course, I pulled into the driveway from the dealer last night and the rain started just as I snapped this shot from my blackberry.

I already have a few small mods in mind...but will enjoy my new Mini in its pure state for a little while!

Again, thank you everyone for investing the time to help me arrive at a decision!

Attached Files:

5. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! Car looks fantastic :)

Kyle

6. EVWO

EVWO New Member