1st Gen R50 Cooper today was utterly horrific

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jbkoopa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. as i was driving, i hear a snapping and crackling noise and i first figured it was my bumper that suffered a pond. but it wasn't, and as i kept on driving i hear MORE noises and my shifter start shaking as i rev, then i smell something i know im not suppose to smell. evrything just gets worse as i cross the next intersection.

i pull over and AAA eventually comes, tows my car to the shop, and i had the damage explained to me.

seems i am much more stupid than i thought, and my 205 tires were rubbing against the springs and perches which obviously couldve made my tires blow. so i know that it my fault and i am very depressed about it, i hsouldve known better. lesson learned.

PLUS. i somehow lost an endlink (driver side) and i now have to call stratmosphere and get another one.

first problem is first, gotta get new front tires and that new endlink, then my mechanic can look into my transmission problem. i knew my midlands was gonna blow, but no way did i expect it to happen today. looks like my tranny is either gonna be re-finished, or im gonna get a new tranny completely (hopefully i can get my hands on a getrag 6spd, which is probably not going to happen, so screw my hopes and just stick with reality).

all this happened on one of the worst days of the season, where 20 inch rainfalls are expected. im soaked in rain water, stink of bad tranny, will be car-less for about a week maybe more, and i feel like *****.

all said and done, my day was terrible, partly because of my stupidity which caused my missing endlink and my eaten up tires, and partly because of my transmission which i know was eventually going to happen sooner or later.

i dont know how much this is all going to cost me, but i will update as i get new information. as of right now i need new front tires, and a new driver side endlink.

i dont feel very good right now, im honestly very depressed and any negative comment or remark will not be appreciated. and i know i made stupid mistakes so i dont need it to be rubbed in anymore.
    :frown5:

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about the ride, but why were your 205's rubbing on your springs?

3. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about the troubles. :frown5:

Strange that all that happened at the same time. :confused5:

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Wow, bad news piles up fast sometimes but that's just ridiculous. So sorry to hear all this.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Three bad things all in one day. The upside is since bad things tend to come in three's you are on an upswing from here.

6. they were rubbing because, ithink, my x-lites have too high an ofset so the barrel is really sunken in there. (booo high offset wheels :mad2: )

and the tires are really suppose to be 195, but these wheels i traded my friend and his stock were these 205s that are rubbing.

i need new wheels, with low offsets (exactly my goal, wide wheels/low offset).
    and on top of all this, i find that my phone fell out of my jacket pocket. i went inside the house, only to realize its missing after 10 minutes. i look outside to find that my phone has been on the ground drowning in rain for the past 10 minutes. now my phone glitches and ive only had this new phone for 2 weeks.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Bourbon will make it better...

8. lol. unfortunately i do not drink, nor do i know anything about drinks, yet :p

9. but i am gonna watch 2 movies tonight
    Inglorious Bastards & Gamer.
    and i do have a thing for movie popcorn, which i did buy at the grocery.
    mmmmm buttery goodness...

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh thats right, you are few years younger than I...Bourbon might be a bit much.

When I was that age....Oh yeah, smoke my problems away....

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Beer fixes everything. Time will fix everything else.
    But it still sucks. I'm never talking about my Midla.... ever again.

Mark

12. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

May 4, 2009
    Fontana, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Good luck JB. We're in the same area. Who's your mechanic?

13. well i live in Rancho but i also spend a lot of my life in Walnut. i got to EJ's Automotive.
    where in [fontana] do you live?

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Gotcha. Pull the battery out of the phone and let it sit for 24 hours.

15. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I once saved an mp3 player after if fell into a pond. I did not turn it on, but opened it up and disassembled it and let it dry out. I also lightly buffed the the electronics when dry with an emery cloth to clean up any deposits that might effect the conductivity or short between the circuits. Think I also used rubbing alcohol on the headphone jack. The thing still works.

16. so because im having some rubbing issues
    (the inner tire wall rubbing against the coilovers/springs/perches)
    the tire is being eaten away because of thsi rubbing.

the tires are 205/50.
    what size should i change the tires to?
    195/45? 195/50? any recommendations or suggestions?

i just need clearance on the inside, and since im on oem wheels with a super high offset (x-lites)
    the best thing i can do to fix this rubbing problem is tire size, and possibly spacers.

help asap please

17. thejunkmonger

thejunkmonger New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For the phone take out the battery and put everything in a new bag of rice, leave it there for a week and see if it works. The worst thing you can do is keep using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    JB,

What springs, coilovers are you running? Just doesn't seem right that it should be rubbing on the 205 with X-Lites. High offset would move the tire outward (unless I am mistaken, which is entirely possible).

20. offset moves the barrel outward or inward. so if you have a high offset, then the barrel of the wheel will be more sunken into the wheel well (inward). lower offset makes the barrel stick farther outside the car (thus giving you that lip on the wheel, and that poke outside the fender). so the center of the wheel (where the lugs go) is the part that attachs to the hub.

im running v-maxx coilovers btw
    and my x-lites have a 50 offset (which is SUPER high in my book)