1st Gen R53 Cooper S Today's Job

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by k-huevo, Dec 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the kind words Kevin.

Interesting use of "penultimate", I think of Italian pronunciations (accent on the next to last syllable) as associated with that word.

This car continues to have diverter valve failures. The diaphragm over the solenoid tears and boost is lost as a result.

[​IMG]

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #43 k-huevo, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    Today's Job #4

Back to the R53. Today's job came in for an oil change only, but a few other things revealed themselves. The air filter was long past due changing. Below is the customer's on the left, and a low mileage used one of mine on the right.

[​IMG]

Another aftermarket oil filter that is too short and too loose fitting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The common coolant leak from around the thermostat housing.

[​IMG]

I created a how-to for replacing the thermostat you can view rather than putting it all on this thread.

Many other issues need to be addressed as can be fit into the customer's budget.

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Not My Job Today

These MINI carnage images are courtesy of MA member from up North, Jeremy. The rear weep hole leaking too much; hmmm, seen that before.

[​IMG]

Rotor lobe damage; when the bearing wears, the lobes go cattywampus. Should have seen what Alan's looked like a few months back.:eek6:

[​IMG]

Gear dust; self explanatory.

[​IMG]

A video of the water pump drive gear damage assessment. If you have a high mileage MCS, check your supercharger fluid, or pay to fix it later.

5. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you should have seen the coolant build up on the block face and oil pan. It took me a good half hour to tidy it up!!!

Jeremy

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time for these write-ups. Great photos as well!

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    How does a weekend DIY'er check the water pump PTO gear fluid?

8. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Start early Saturday morning and remove supercharger, inspect, drain/add new SC oil in PTO and snout and then re-install supercharger. That's a good days work there.

Jeremy

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/2797-oil-leaks-superchargers-etc.html

It's actually not that hard to remove the supercharger. It's much easier if you're draining the radiator, though. That way you can take the whole modular front end off. No need to disconnect the intake horn, and the water pump can remain in place. If you're going to remove the supercharger, definitely check the crank position sensor for oil leaks, too.

10. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    khuevo: A page or two back, you mention that polyurethane bushings (the LCA bushings you mention in particular) dont' wear out but that they need periodic servicing.

What service interval do you recommend for something like a Powerflex LCA bushing?

11. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the driving environment, frequent low water crossings and dirt roads would mean 1 to 2 years or 20 to 40k miles, dry & clean conditions longer. The first time you re-lube you will know if that interval is appropriate. I removed mine at around 30k miles, the original anti-seize lube was spent, and the poly surface had become tacky. Energy Suspension grease, Super Lube, and Poly Ease, are very water resistant and long lived over anti-seize or chassis lubes. If the copper anti-seize that PF once supplied with their bushings was used at installation, I recommend shortening the first interval just to remove the petroleum distillate based product.

12. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I just used some of the Energy Suspension grease for lubing the PF yellow inserts for the trans mount ... Wow, I had forgotten how sticky that stuff is, and yeah I would expect that it is mega water resistant.

13. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Thanks! I've got a maintenance interval thread going over on my local board... looks like I've got one more item to add to my maintenance log-book.

14. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #54 k-huevo, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    Today's Job #5

Installing Madness poly front control arm bushings in a Cabrio was the main purpose of today's job. Along the way a few other things needing attention came to light. The power steering hoses were leaking quite a bit, the reservoir could be turned easily in either direction because the clamps weren't secure. The quick & easy fix is to tweak the crimp a little more.

[​IMG]

The Cabrio owner stopped by to drop off a new lower engine mount and noticed the left front strut body had oil on it. Instead of oil weeping above the spring perch it was coming out the bottom.

[​IMG]

After removing the strut and disassembling, there was no damping remaining, pulling and pushing the shaft created sounds like a washing machine. Now we know the cause of the clunk he was experiencing on turns to the left.

A reminder that the bolt securing the control arm bushing bracket to the body is torque to yield, 42 lb-ft + 90 degrees torque angle. It should be replaced with new rather than reused.

[​IMG]

15. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Another one bites the dust.

[​IMG]

I installed one, but if wouldn't function correctly; the BPV piston would stick preventing boost from building.

A few tips for you when you get around to installing yours. A T-25 and 3mm Allen will also be needed, plus a short M6 bolt to mount the relay bracket. The instructions illustrate positioning the BPV when used in conjunction with their optional spacer with vent, without the spacer the vacuum nipple has to be placed just right to avoid contact with a coolant tube on one side, or the turbo inlet duct (not shown in the photo below) on the other, it also must be out of the way of the Allen bolt to allow assess with an Allen wrench.

[​IMG]

Also, if the directions are followed to the letter, a relay mount bolt will press against the turbo inlet duct.

[​IMG]

It's not enough to only shim the bolt, the bracket needs to be bent downward to both provide clearance for the bracket, and prevent the horizontal vacuum hose from becoming pinched against the inlet duct.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #56 k-huevo, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    Today's Job #6

This MINI is going to be a source for many posts over the next week. The poor thing was screeching and rattling as it drove in.

I've seen hydraulic engine mounts collapsed further than this one at much fewer miles. The first example is at 158,000 miles, the more normal mount below it has 60,000 miles of use, and a perky new one at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note the dust cap is peaking above the tower opening in the first photo. The strut guide bushing is extremely stretched, it's surprising there is no cracking up top also. Below it is the other side at normal height.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    There was less than half the normal amount of coolant I usually collect from a first generation drain. In this case it no longer resembled coolant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The expansion tank is split, and the hoses are wasted. Evidence of overheating is present, but the owner has never seen a dash lamp. Amazingly the water pump is just fine. There was no loss of fluid in the supercharger's gear cases either, and the lobes have most of their coating remaining.

I know where some of the screeching came from, the idler pulley bearing is bone dry. I told the owner his crankshaft vibration damper was failing about 50,000 miles ago, it somehow made it this far without tearing, it's much too wobbly, but no separation externally.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That looks like the oil cooler heat exchanger has gone bad and the coolant is contaminated by oil.

:eek6:

19. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Either that, or the last mechanic who did a coolant flush had the last name "Wonka".

Huh? That water looks FINE! What are you talking about???
    [​IMG]

20. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The radiator was clogged with mineral scale, it took a very long flush before flow was strong, clear, and flake free.