Top Gear America

Discussion in 'Top Gear' started by Bigprfed22, Dec 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes last night was the best so far.:Thumbsup:

Rutledge is my favorite, and can't believe he won in the wagon.:lol:

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Every one of these shows has been like the high school drama class doing Top Gear. They need to find their own identity & run with it. I'll keep watching & hope for the best.

3. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Just finished watching this weeks episode and while the host seem to be finding their chemistry, I was disappointed that half the challenges were taken directly from the real Top Gear. Also didn't like the fact that there was not a Stig driving segment. Lil' B.A.D. (5 years old) was excited to see Tony Hawk in BSLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Even with similar challenges as the UK Top Gear it was still entertaining. Still can't believe a car would run with that much water in it. A Mini definitely wouldn't!

5. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    An old Brit car won't start if someone on your street is watering their lawn. :lol:

6. scobib

scobib New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to say - it's getting better with each episode. I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's finally getting entertaining.

7. Mach5

Mach5 New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just watched the episode with the GM cars. They are starting to develop personality and chemistry between the three presenters. This one was a large step better than the last. So, I remain hopeful.

A lot of people diss on Tanner Foust, both on this show and when he was doing his program on speed. I actually think he's o.k. He actually seemed to have much more personality in the prior program than the other two. But all three seem much more relaxed in this latest episode. I don't really get Ruttledge, who I'm not convinced is a car guy. But as a comic foil he's o.k. I can't decide if its manufactured or not, but it does seem like they've matched personalities to the original as well. Tanner is the short one, a copy of Richard's semi-seriousness in terms of genuinely liking cars and wanting to present well. Ruttledge is Captain Slow, though not a direct copy because Ruttledge comes across as a dumb country bumpkin (of a sort; not a true redneck), and the NY guy is the bombastic Mr. Clarkson.

We'll see if they drift from the script and start to develop their own personality. I hope so.

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Definitely improving as they go along. Some of the humour still seams a little staged and stilted. Too bad the car test was a page right out of TG-UK, surely they could've come up with more original tests.

BTW why is it that some people's faces are blurred out, yet others not?

9. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    So their bosses do not see that they went to Top Gear instead of being at home sick.

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    As long as we accept and watch mediocre programs, that's what we'll get....:frown2:

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Actually I was referring to the people on the street or in cars (like the girls who where chatting with Adam or Ruttledge. There was also somebody else on a sidewalk and they were sooo careful to block out the face. Thinking about it, this show is so careful not to show the face of anybody not on set. Even those on the set are not very close to the 3 hosts. I think the show is very sterile that way. Part of the fun of TG UK is the interaction with the audience and moreso the people on road, in the parks, on the beaches, etc, etc. Why the fear of showing somebody's face?

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    They're all a part of the increased government security forces. :D

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Maybe because they'd have to pay them as extra's.... :skep:

14. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I think they're afraid of some law suit if somebody's face accidentally appears on TV without express written consent and compensation. It all contributes to the lack of appeal

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This latest episode where the Morgan is tested and they race from Miami to Key West was better. Granted, the boat, car, plane thing was done by the UK version a while ago and was with more interesting vehicles but this was a decent knockoff attempt. I'm finding it a bit annoying the way they knock all things British, almost as a dig at the UK version who like to make fun of Americans. The Brits make fun of us much better than we make fun of them.

16. 1r53

1r53 New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah not a big fan of the U.S. version:(

17. ftttupwmcs

ftttupwmcs New Member

May 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I remember a few years ago when a US version was being talked about. It was thought that the hosts wouldn't be able to badmouth vehicles due to car companies spending so much on advertising on their stations. Also, I hate to use this word but the hosts along with the show itself lack--------gravitas.

18. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they can find it if they look here :lol:

19. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I actually liked last night's episode. It's the first one that I haven't stopped repeatedly to complain about. They did something unique, they seemed to be having fun, and the LCBS segment was pretty good. Although, they're going to need to do something about Tanner and Adam - Tanner can't stand the guy.

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I thought the last episode was pretty decent. I laughed a few times. The "they sell a lot of crayons" line was damn funny.