Top Gear on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by IMGRFX, Oct 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. IMGRFX

IMGRFX Club Coordinator

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    Coming up shortly.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up!

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Was a nice segment. Loved the behind the scenes info on the whole Alabama car trip....:D

I was amazed how long of a lead time this story had as the show was showing the
    Greatest driving road in the world" from last series.

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yea thought is was funny that the most afraid they have been was going through Alabama ....lol I mean what did they expect to happen with their cars painted with what was on them....

We had almost the same thing happen in VA when a large group of THMMC members on a drive stopped at a gas station when a bunch of rednecks in the back of a pick up pulled in and started on about us driving them thar foreign cars...lol Fortunately we were about to leave anyway so things didn't escalate to rock throwing but they were shouting stuff as we left.....

Inbreeding is a wonderful thing...;)

5. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    #5 ronnie948, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    Invest in the "NRA"

When I was traveling on my Harley I always wore my "NRA" baseball cap. I found that everyone I ran into that looked & acted like a Bad ole Boy redneck all greeted me like a long lost cousin or something when I stuck that hat on my head. I take my "NRA" hat when I travel anyplace.

:Thumbsup:

I almost forgot about the post content. I always thought that stuff was scripted. I guess I sure was wrong. I like the part when Jeramy said if one of them die the show will go on. Top Gear is one of my favorite shows. I hope they do not have to change the format when they start showing it on the history channel. We sure don't want it tamed down like their tame racing driver the "Stig"

It would be a crime to censure 1/2 of the show due to a bunch of sissy's editing things out to be able to show it on American non-cable TV.

6. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Only bit I took issue with was when they said the Stig didn't speak because they couldn't find a race driver that was capable of uttering an intelligent word...... :(

7. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Actually that comment might have been related to the law suit between "the Stig" and Top Gear. He wrote a book and they are suing him for breach of contract.

Also my understanding is the American version is independent of the British version, the only connection is the production company. So if the American version bombs and dies the British version will continue on like nothing ever happened.

Personally I question if the American version will work. In England they have a different relationship with their cars and their society is not nearly as litigious as ours. The US of A has become a pasture filled with appliance driving sheep who would rather text than shift. Driving for the longest time was a symbol of freedom, but today young people see the web as freedom and the need to escape has gone away. I hope I am wrong and a show like this could light a fire in kids to love cars again, but enthusiasts look to be going the way of the dodo bird.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    All I have to say is watching that while drinking beer & eating Frito's was pretty entertaining.

9. M1N1Meg

M1N1Meg New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Delaware, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey hey...don't be hard on us young ones. I'd like to think that appreciating cars is coming back. It is amongst the people i hang out with and i offer to take anyone who doubts that a good drive can indeed solve all of your problems for a spin in the S (manual trans)...they almost always appreciate it and i hope they change their mind just a little :)

10. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    You go Girl !! Meg is indeed a great addition to the Mid-Ohio Motoring crowd...let's get more "weedhoppers" involved. Oh yea...not to highjack this thread, I believe Top Gear in the US will be a big hit :popcorn:

11. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    OK after actually watching the 60 minutes segment I really hope the 3 guys we have develop something. The 3 Brits really do work well together.

Meg there are always going to be some people who "get it" it has just been my experience that they are declining in numbers these days with kids growing up watching their parents drive and talk on the phone instead of watching them drive an involving car. I remember growing up and having A-Team in their van and Knight Rider with KITT not to mention CHIPs and Magnum PI, all shows where a car was a star. Today cars have just become marginalized in pop culture.

12. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Will have to say that we have a lot of customers who's kids are totally apathetic about getting their drivers license, actually having to push them to learn how to drive... Heck I stayed awake all night the night before I could go get mine.....which I might add was 30 days late because my Dad caught me sneaking the car out a week before my sixteenth birthday..... Longest 30 days of my life.. :(