Top Gear Specials - pick your favorite

Discussion in 'Top Gear' started by Steve, May 30, 2011.

?

Top Gear Special Episodes: Pick your favorite

1. Vietnam

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Bolivia

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Middle East (Christmas)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Winter Olympics

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. US Road Trip

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. Botswanna

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Polar

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Just a meaningless poll for fun.

Those familiar with the series have no doubt seen one or more of the famous special episodes. The list is below (in no particular order) with links so you can find and view any you haven't already seen. Vote above. Simple, eh?

Vietnam Special.
    The Challenge: Travel 1000 miles (1609 kilometres) from Hồ Chí Minh City (Saigon), in the south of Vietnam to Hạ Long city, near Hanoi (Hà Nội) in the north in eight days...mostly on motorbikes.​

Bolivia Special.
    The Challenge: Travel 1,000 miles through South America from the rainforests of Bolivia to the Pacific coast of Chile, using second hand off-road vehicles, bought locally in Bolivia for less than £3,500 each.​

Middle East (Christmas) Special.
    The Challenge: Re-enact the journey of the Three Wise Men by travelling from northern Iraq to a stable in Bethlehem.​

Winter Olympics Special (scroll down to Season 7 Episode Winter Olympics Special).
    The presenters travel to Lillehammer, Norway for a special edition of the show consisting of Winter Olympic sports adapted to be played using motor cars, with the losers of each challenge having to eat golden snow.​

US Special (scroll to Season 8 Episode 03).
    A road trip from Miami to New Orleans. The Challenge: Buy a car for the trip for less than it costs to rent one.​

Botswana Special (scroll to Season 10 Episode 04).
    The Challenge: Travel to Botswana to buy a car for less than £1500, and use it to travel from the Zimbabwean border to the Namibian border, a trip of 1,000 miles.​

Polar Special (scroll to Season 10 Episode Polar Special).
    An attempt to be the first to drive a motor vehicle to the 1996 location of the Magnetic North Pole.​

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Can't we choose more than one?

There are three that I really enjoyed, the Vietnam trip's photgraphy was stunning......

The Bolivia trip was amazing, 17,000 feet altitude and the cars still ran - barely.....

The Botswana trip was fantastic too, in getting to see people and cultures not usually featured on any channel other than NatGeo...

3. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't nail it down to just one. All are great in their own regard. . .Loced the South American/Bolivian one(one must remember though, 3.5Kpound is like 7kUS, so like 70k Bolivianos. . .a **** ton of money in Bolivia). I agree about the shots in Vietnam. I LOVED the polar adventure, too damn funny. American run was just as funny, and had some "classic" moments.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I have a tough time choosing between Botswana and Bolivia.

On the other end of the scale the US road trip is one of my least favorites of ALL the episodes, not just the specials...different strokes, eh?

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I chose Vietnam, but my all time favorite moment was on the Road of Death in south America.

6. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Gotta be the US road trip

When the rednacks started throwing things and the guys had to actually run for their hides and they almost lost a cameraman I just about laughed myself silly.

What make it not so funny is when Jeromy told 60 minutes about almost getting killed in America and what happened I changed my mind about it being so funny because they were in real danger at that time. I guess you can't paint "Nascar Sucks" and such things on a car and drive it through the south.

It still is my favorite "TOP GEAR" though.:beer

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Watching the Bolivia Special right now and just heard my favorite line. In the middle of the Bolivian rain forest: "James was suspiciously skillful with the Vaseline and condoms." :lol: