Top Gear USA returns Aug. 14 for 16-episode season

Discussion in 'Top Gear' started by Nathan, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From Autoblog...

While it still hasn't earned the cult-like following of the original Top Gear (currently aired on the BBC), our own Top Gear USA is getting better and better with each subsequent episode. Rutledge Wood, Adam Ferrara and Tanner Foust are developing much-needed chemistry and the show is entertaining (even if you aren't a car guy).

That said, Top Gear USA has earned enough kudos (aka advertising dollars) to warrant a third season, complete with sixteen new episodes (six will be aired before the holiday break, followed by another ten early next year). Add those to the 26 episodes already shot during the first two seasons, and trio have hosted enough shows for a solid DVD collection. Catch the trio near the end of summer, as the first episode is scheduled to air on August 14 on the History Channel.

2. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I love the American version... I think those guys are hilarious! :Thumbsup:

Plus I'm a huuuuuuge Foust fan :ihih:

Attached Files:

3. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Would be so much better if Rutledge was not on the show..

4. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    He's not so bad.....

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I hope it gets better. They need to do their own show and not try to ride on the heals of the BBC Top Gear

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I caught up on my Top Gear USA watching last night.

Can I have that ~2 hours of my life back please.

This show is now crap. While the hosts my have better chemistry between them the stunts are just stupid.

To me there is no value to this show.

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    As much as I was hoping for this show to succeed, I confess that I agree.

Maybe it's unfair to compare to the original, but over the years I've come to expect the silly stunts to be window-dressing for some sort of underlying, fundamental philosophical question that, if not timely, is at least somewhat interesting. I struggle to find that in the USA version of the show.

At the end of each vignette, I'm usually asking myself, "Is that it? What was the point?"

8. ccain

ccain Active Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    I hate to dig up an old thread - BUT...

I bumped into him at SEMA this past year. You know, he's a genuinely nice guy. He was incredibly busy running around and what not but took the time to stop and engage everyone who wanted to say hi or just shake his hand.

I will say this. He has better "presence" off camera than he does on the show. I think he tries a little too hard to be funny on the show and it's apparent when you see how casually he interacts with real people rather than a film crew.

I have to admit, I'm a diehard UK TopGear fan and even though they have began to build some chemestry between them, I just can't warm up to the US version. Especially since all they really do is regurgitate the British format. If you ask me US Top Gear comes off a bit too contrived and almost laughable.

I feel almost embarased for those guys at times -BUT- it almost feels like they're trying to insult our intelligence like we have no clue that there was ever a properly funny English version of the show.

Wow... It's late and I'm rambling. I should probably try to get some sleep. I always have trouble sleeping... I wonder if they have Top Gear US on Netflix... Yeah... That aught to do it. :biggrin5:

9. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    You have to take the show as a goofy spoof on the UK version.... Then you won't be disappointed :Thumbsup: