Tough Competition

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by N2MINI, Sep 19, 2013.

1. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I've always wondered when I see people post about winning their first time out at an Auto X event how tough was their competion. Not knocking their driver skills at all but it is all relative to who you are running against in your class. Me for example, I run in STF and my car is no where near maxed out per rules allowed. I'm heavy as well being a cabrio. I only do 3-4 events a year so not really trying to be all I can be in class. I have won a few times this year as our top STF guys have been doing other events, but when they are there I don't stand a chance.. That being said I'll give a shout out to my local Auto X Club as being one of the toughest in the nation. Not neccessary in every class of course. Club has roughly 100 members an average just of 100 cars ( and about 15 of those will have 2 drivers or more taking turns in it ) per once a month event. "Triad Sports Car Club"

At the Nationals this year 2 members won their class and 8 others
    trophied.

Gwen Baake - DSL National Champion
    Eric Sienkiewicz - STF National Champion

Ginette Blouin Jordan - 3rd SML (in an SMF car !)
    Jinx Jordan - 4th SMF (Fastest Day 2)
    Jadrice Toussaint - 3rd ESP (Lead Day 1)
    Justin Barbry - 5th FSP
    Justin Mitchell - 6th FSP
    James Feinberg - 2nd DS (Lead Day 1)
    Matt Feeney - 7th STF
    Kraig Klippel - 5th STS

Missing trophies by just one or 2 positions and getting Honorable mention for their awesome accomplishments -
    Shelby Turbeville , Nikki Edwards , Mina Ingraham and Michael Feeney .
    Also had a member to win his class in the One Lap of America this year.. Don't remember which class it was right off hand..

Granted it is tough for some to be able to afford to go to Nationals which leaves some very good drivers not being there, but for a club to have roughly 10% of their members to at least trophy is a huge accomplishment I think, and one of which I doubt many clubs can match..

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Back in the 80's when I had my GTI I used to run against Andy Hollis* when we both lived in Baltimore.

Talk about knowing you could never win the class.

All of us in that class at the time set our sites on 2nd place. To us that was winning the class that day.

*12 Time National Auto-X Champion

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Is this the same Hollis that ran with his wife this year at the One Lap and won their class? Honda CRX I believe..

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is.

Also writes for Grassroots Magazine

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #5 cct1, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    Autox vary so much--I get your first post totally. How strictly rules are enforced, level of competition, and just how serious everyone takes the event, it's so variable, to compare one autox to another is apples to oranges. Someone who goes out and wins their very first autox in one region may very well finish last, or be disqualified, in another, more serious autox. Usually these guys are winning for the first time when there are only 4 or 5 cars tops, and no one is taking it all that seriously. Not the same as the cutthroat autox's that are almost as bad as some of the upper echelon Spec races.

Is it cool when someone goes out and wins first try at their first stab at an Autox by their local club at their local Wal-mart parking lot? Yeah, it's still cool. Is it the same as winning an event in an autox regional series with tight judging/regulation/rules? Nah, not even close.

The first time winner looks great on the internet, but anyone who cares about racing is going to be more impressed by someone racing in a competitive group like yours regardless of where they finish, then in a small group out there for fun.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I win my 1 car autoX everyday on my drive to work.

:postcount

7. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of Andy Hollis, does anyone remember when he got caught cheating at a SOLO II tour/divisional?

Shame of it is that he probably didn't need to cheat.

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    One of the Miata spec racers who won his series two years ago was disqualified for...an illegal weld seam. Something that had absolutely nothing to do with the safety or performance of the car. Doesn't take much to get disqualified, those guys in the upper echelons can't believe anyone is actually faster than them; they'll try and find anything to get the w; they don't necessarily have to win it on the track.

9. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    That kind of stuff pisses me off. I've raced one thing or another for over 30 years. While I hate a cheater, stupid rules infractions are ignorant.