Toyota FR S

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Norm03s, Jul 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Driven plenty an AMG. A family member is a big fan. Didn't think it was anything an adept right foot could not control. Drove his V12 DB9 last night. Same story. Nice car, by the way.

Anyone who bought a 4100 lbs four door sedan (M5) for track use I think is missing the point of the car. That being said, I'd love to take mine out for a session, or two just for kicks. Sadly, the spousal unit has repeatedly exercised her veto power on such endeavor. She's probably right, though. I know the tire bill would for sure lighten the wallet.

Not by much. x2.5, or so. :cryin:

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'll never forget the Top Gear with Clarkson trying to get the AMG around the track, wheel completely locked, car going straight....We'll have to agree to disagree, but if ever a car was out of balance between what it's engine could do, and what it's chassis can handle, that would be it.

Man, I wish I could find that video of the turbo classic MINI, tried but with no luck. It's hysterical--when the turbo kicks in, there is this big jet of flame, and the rear end of the car lifts off the ground. A professional driver took a turn at it in the video, and was totally disgusted with it--it was pretty funny.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    A powerful car that is not easy to drive, rarely if ever is first to a checkered flag....2cents

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Hard to drive, "over powered"... it's all relative, would you not say?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo]Richard Hammond drives F1 Renault R25 car at Silverstone - Top Gear - BBC Autos - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. Certainly Clarkson impressed me as a type of chap who'd take a creative license / unorthodox approach for the sake of making the show more entertaining.

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Relative yes. Power you can't get to the ground means nothing more than a big number as a talking point.

6. Little big car

Little big car New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Chesapeake, VA
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I drove a Scion FR-S before I bought my MINI. As a past owner of a Toyota Supra I was really hopeful that the FR-S would be the return of Toyota (Scion) to making exciting cars. I very, very much wanted to love the FR-S. After driving it I came away from the car thinking that it does everything really well but it has no spirit and no personality. Plus, the back seats make a R56's rear seats seem like you are riding in a limo. And the lack of torque was really annoying.

I wanted to love this car. I was expecting to buy this car. Then I drove it and then I drove a MINI. You know which one I bought.

The FR-S really is a great car but a R56 is just simply more fun and practical.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone explain -- in relatively simple terms (and hopefully without just posting a link) -- the real advantage(s) of this horizontally opposed engine?

I'll say lower center of gravity is one effect, are there others?

[​IMG]

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I feel the main one & possibly the only one is a lower center of gravity. Maybe it is the slightly rugged idle they have.

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The lower center of gravity is a huge plus, and the main reason they went with this engine configuration. The of the downsides is I bet that sucker is going to be a PITA to get at....I didn't get down and dirty in the engine bay, from what I could see, there actually is a fair amount of space in there, but it's going to be awkward to get at anything near the block.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Just like any other Subaru. I think the space is likely to be taken up with a turbo, pipes & an intercooler...

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And they tend to be better balanced as well as the reciprocating mass is opposite of each other. But the lower CG is the biggest performance gain.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was thinking....Looks like there's room for it. Once it's there, it'll REALLY be hard to get at anything.

13. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    The same configuration as a VW flat four air cooled (actually oil cooled) engines.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  15. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Nice stuff.. and will only get better as more people get the cars and the aftermarket world gets going..

Might be time to start following the Subu forums...

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Subaru likes the boxer engine because it leaves room for a front diff, which allows them to put AWD in all of their cars. It's low and short. Go ahead and try to change a spark plug, though. The heads are low in the engine bay.

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Good chance this one will be worse than ever then (in terms of changing plugs, etc) because the commercial that pic was lifted from claims it's the first ever horizontally opposed Boxer engine. I don't know the history of the Boxer or its design as I'm just learning about them but I assume this means other iterations have been high angle rather than horizontal.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    All of Subaru's flat fours have been horizontal & all have been a pain in the arse to change plugs on. The FRS/BRZ twins may be harder. I read that they have that engine set even lower in the chassis to enhance the low cg. I also heard what was said in the commercial. It is a first for Toyota, but not Subaru.

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well I bet the plugs are good for 100K. :ihih::ihih::lol::lol::devil::devil:

Where have I heard that before.....:idea:

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I have no trouble believing an advertising department would deliberately lie outright in a commercial but, unless that's exactly what they did in this case, this engine is a first in at least some minute way in terms of horizontally opposed cylinders.

I'll defer to those familiar with the Boxer configuration, all I know is what they said; here's the direct quote:

"It's the world's first and only horizontally opposed Boxer engine."