Tracking my new Mini

Discussion in 'MINI' started by captfred, Oct 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. captfred

captfred New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My new Mini is now in Southampton waiting transit, but with NAM down, I have lost the instruction for ship tracking. I have the VIN #, but don't know what to do now. Can anyone help?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #2 Nathan, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    I'll wade into the firing line over there and grab the post on how to track you MINI. Give me a few...

I have no shame I guess...this is an exact copy of the post on NAM http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-stuff/4824-how-track-your-mini-factory-dealer.html

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That one is a good save Nathan.

Captfred: You will have a lot of fun doing this. It adds to the fun of owning a MINI, but will make you a tad crazy at times. I lost my ship for a short time and was afraid it sunk. :D

Jim

4. captfred

captfred New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  5. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You need to read through the link. I believe there are two lines and one is better then the other for finding which ship your car is on. Mine came over on the Tomberra.

Jim

6. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Every time I see a thread like this I think "yay! Someone is taking their new Mini to the track".

Then I realize that "tracking your Mini" has more then one meaning.

:crazy:

7. captfred

captfred New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When I use the link to the WW site, it requires a Log In to go any further. Am I missing something?

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    It has been two years since I used that and don't remember if there was a log in or not. See if it will let you register.

Jim

9. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cap, just go to the customer surface and click Track and Trace.
    If your car has been assigned a ship, you can enter either the whole VIN or last 7 digits of the VIN into the CARGO ID field and search. It will appear on a ship's manifest if it's scheduled to load, loading, or preparing to disembark. Once you find a ship assignment, you can use any of the suggested tools for tracking the ship as it leaves the UK. I warn you, some ships from the main line report their GPS coordinates, and others (the K Line, currently skulking around in the Atlantic with my car in it's belly) don't. The fastest way, once you know your ship, is to google it. You'll find a number of sites that track ships and give you GPS readings on a map... all fine and good, but you shouldn't be alarmed if your ship is being tracked and then disappears. Or, as with me, it reports leaving Southampton (I watched it leave) and then that's it...

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I used this one. It links to data received when the ship nears a port. Once in range it will show you a plot that moves as the ship approaches the port, docks, refuels and then leaves again. It gets lost for awhile on open water. Focus on the first port of call and keep trying until your ship shows up. You can track it all the way to the dock in NY (actually NJ) and then get a live shot of the off loading.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

Jim