Exterior 1st Gen Trailer Wiring Fail

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by davavd, Jul 18, 2012.

1. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This is an 06 R52 with the Mini-do-more wiring kit. My exhaust melted the wires going from the plug to my trailer lights. After replacing the melted wires, I still had issues (unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what, but I think it might have been no turn signals or brake lights, only tail lights). I have finally replaced the wiring kit with a new one from Mini-do-more, and I still have no turn signals or brake lights, only tail lights. The car lights are functioning normally, it is just a trailer light problem (trailer lights work fine with my wife's car). I know there may be some bad connection somewhere in the trailer wiring set-up, but I'm wondering if there may be some OTHER problem I'm not thinking of. Any suggestions?

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Is the plug on your car the same as your wifes? I know on trucks Ford, Chevy and Dodge do not all wire their trailer wiring the same, so sometimes what works on one does not work on the other.

3. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Same plug, and it all worked when originally installed, before I melted the wires. After the trailer wires melted, and I replaced them and the lights didn't work, I assumed I had fried the mini-do-more module. After replacing that, I am still having the same issue, so I'm wondering what else melting the trailer wires could have screwed up, that would NOT show up as a malfunction of the car lights, but only as a malfunction of trailer lights.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Is there an inline fuse maybe before the melty part of the harness?

5. RoadRoar

RoadRoar New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 5, 2009
    Design and product development, also general busin
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #5 RoadRoar, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    Exellent!

I don't know what wiring kit domore uses, we sell a module that is circuit protected and it resets itself once the short is cleared. It does sound like it is just a connection problem or a break in the wire. if
    you have'nt replaced the entire wire kit when you switched out the module then recheck all points from wire taps all the way out to the flat 4 connector.

Thanks, Russell / MiniFini

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #6 agranger, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    I had that exact same problem... the S exhaust and the trailer hitch are just too close together and I didn't count on the normal slack in a light connection causing the bundle to hit the exhaust. It took an hour of working w/ a pocket knife and duct tape to do a campground patch job 1/2 way from Tennessee to Texas while bringing the trailer home.

Luckily I didn't have your no turn-signal issue, though. Sorry that I'm not of much help, but I found a great gadget that made light testing much easier... It was a cap to the standard 4-pin wiring harness, but it had LED lights on it to flash when signal was being passed so you could isolate if it was a car/harness issue or a trailer issue:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/New-4-PIN-TRAILER-TESTER-IPA7866/dp/B005DC2N1E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1342800467&sr=8-9&keywords=trailer+wiring+4-pin+led"]Amazon.com: New-4&5 PIN TRAILER TESTER - IPA7866: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21sKl2iK9lL.@@AMEPARAM@@21sKl2iK9lL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Trailer-Inline-Circuit-Tester/dp/B003EEV4HW/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342800467&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=trailer+wiring+4-pin+led"]Amazon.com: Attwood Trailer Light Inline Circuit Tester: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416-KtnwmiL.@@AMEPARAM@@416-KtnwmiL[/ame]