2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Transmission making light overlapping clunking noise while in idle and...

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,660 / 2 / -0
    Sounds like the dual mass flywheel making noises. With the throw out bearing playing an accompanying tune. Mine flywheel will do that on occasion. It's been doing it for probably 70,000 miles & still shifting like a dream. Once the clutch dies it will be a Valeo kit with single mass flywheel for me.

2. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,660 / 2 / -0
    Well everything in the clutch system spins. When you push the peddle in you are using the release bearing (throw out bearing). I'd guess it is that bearing making the noise. Keep driving it, you will know when it is time for a replacement. When it goes replace everything, clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing. If you go with a Valeo kit you will be replacing that poor dual mass flywheel too.

3. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't worried about the throw out bearing spinning until I started hearing this spinning shaft screeching sound like ball bearings that are just about finished. Usually when you hear something screeching that sounds like it's no longer lubed, somethings gotta give. It's getting to a point where it's making noise everywhere, at idle while driving but it hasn't gotten louder yet.

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have confirmed that the sound is indeed coming from the clutch, at idle while in neutral if I push the clutch pedal in by only an inch the noise goes away, then comes right back after I take my foot off the clutch pedal, weird!

What clutch component could be the cause? It's definitely something that spins or rotates!

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    How long can a throw out bearing last in my situation since my clutch is excellent condition?

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,660 / 2 / -0
    No idea, how long. Any other answer from me would be a wild guess.

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Given the proper tools and a garage and a Bentley manual how difficult or how long would it take to drop the tranny?