1st Gen R53 Cooper S Transmission mount & Lower Engine Mount VT vs BSH vs OEM + pf poly

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by gptoyz, Nov 4, 2012.

1. gptoyz

gptoyz New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So I have an r53. I already have the TSW engine mount + oem right side motor mount + powerflex bushings from Way.

My transmission and lower engine mounts are miraculously still in tact and show no tears like my right side mounts. Car has '03 69k miles.

I daily drive this car, but I also instruct/track days on occasion if I don't take the miata.

My questions is:

What's the difference between the Vibra Technics Road and Race versions (there websites indicate that they use rubber bushings)?

How does the Vibra Lower engine mount stack up against the BSH lower vs an OEM + powerflex bushings?

How does the Vibra tranny engine mount stack up against the OEM + powerflex bushings?

If I don't see any signs of tears in the stock rubber mounts would I be ok to just install the powerflex inserts?

2. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I am about to redo the front mount with the TSW mount and then replace the upper engine mount with OEM with the PowerFlex bushings and go ahead and do the same for the lower mount but am also going with the WMW complete kit that replaces the small rubber bushing with a PowerFlex bushing and while I'm doing all the mounts I'm also going to add the PowerFlex trans. mount. Mine is a '03 MINI Cooper S with almost 101000 miles and the upper rear mount is showing some age cracks so I'm going to try and do them all as they all look like the originals.:Thumbsup:

3. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Just some food for thought, race versions compared to street are harder. Better for performance for racing, however you will have increasingly more vibrations in the cabin. I have all OEM mounts except for my street BSH lower engine mount. I feel more vibrations and the rear view mirror vibrates but it isn't too bad.

If you only drive your car on the street, use OEM or road versions of the aftermarket mounts. No point in going overkill.

4. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Makes sence and would save me some money to boot!:Thumbsup:

5. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Yup! More saved money also means more money for other mods :)

I have to replace my transmission mount bushings soon and still deciding if I want to go with OEM or Powerflex.