Most liked posts in thread: Trifecta of lights and an electrical burning smell

1. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Eh, because I've been a lurker mostly and didn't have a garage to work on my own car so didn't really have much to post about, but now I will!

2. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Battery tested fine and scanned it with my new Schwaben scanner (thanks for that endorsement @MCS02). I'm getting ABS sensors not present on the front. So I'll be inspecting those next. I think and hoping they're just dirty or disconnected not actually missing.

This scanner is great, it even detected my license plate lights are out so that makes it worthwhile!

3. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait for the new sensor to get here. This is my first actual car repair on my own. Pretty stoked about it.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I had problems with the rear calipers on my R53. I used some rebuilt calipers & they didn't last. They were replaced under warranty & they didn't last. In the end a couple of new calipers worked & kept working.

Check that the e-brake is releasing. If not check the cables & calipers. Not sure why you are getting the trifecta.

Call eMINIparts 603-637-2900 they give a nice M/A discount. Good people there & a site sponsor..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agree - for OEM parts eMINI parts is great. For me if the caliper is sticking, I would probably go with a new one if they aren’t stupid expensive... or use it as an excuse the upgrade.. :D

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    There is always red paint. ;)

Jack up the car one side at a time & safely support it. Turn the wheels & see which one drags. Once you find that compare the right to the left. You should see the difference. For my money it is going to be the e-brake hanging up. This could be caused by the caliper or e-brake cable. Yes it could be both too.

Does your e-brake release all the way. Or does it seem to not lower all the way when off?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    Not to long ago the subject of code readers came up and as MCS02 stated the Foxwell was one unit that was well thought of.

8. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
  9. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Good looking out, I ordered that scanner and I will not bother opening and will return the other one I got.

I did check the battery, it's a new BMW branded one from just last year but just to check it off the list, I'll do what you said and take it to a parts store tonight. I think the previous owner only took it to the dealer for maintenance (it's got a single owner history).

I know MINI's are good cars, they just need some love. While this particular one is new to me, I've driven my old one before the trade in for about 6 years, so I'm right there with ya. I've been to one dragon event and a few local club stuff and I've always reluctantly gone to a shop for any issues. I'm changing that with this new one with the help of this forum.

I'll update again once I get the scanner.

10. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Sensor is good, it's not rubbing on anything. I don't have a scanner, just a Scanguage2 which I suspect is not very good at detecting these things. I drove it a little today and the lights went away and felt the car "letting go" so I think it was a stuck brake.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok great. If all the sensor are good it does self clear. Hope the lights stay out. I had to replace my ABS unit a few weeks ago.

12. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I was afraid it might be the ABS module, I did NOT want to spend $300+ on another part. Let's see if light stays off after today.

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I can see adding a BBK to the front. In the rear it seems wasted money to me. Justa this guys .02.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Everything @Crashton said!!! Bad battery can cause some odd problems. Take it to a parts store (auto zone or O'reillys, etc) have a load test done on it. The battery should have a date on it, but have it checked anyway.

I posted a link to the reader I have, sorry I didn't do it before you ordered one. I know Its more money but it will save you a ton in the long run. If you take your Mini to a dealer or independent shop they charge about $120 to hook it up to their machine. I have 3 Minis this has saved me way more then I spent on it.

We are here to help with your questions, we will never tell you to do a search, just ask away. These cars grow on you. It will be frustrating at times running down a problem. If you stick with it it is rewarding. Once this problem is fixed we will need to talk about Mods to the car. We are here to help spend your money too.:D

ECS.......The only thing I have bought from them is my code reader. I don't do business with them. They are trying to corner the market for Mini parts like they did for BMW. We have several venders that care about our community and really take care of us. To name a few. DetroitTuned Chad is the owner and will answer questions. It is a independent Mini shop that sales parts. https://www.detroittuned.com OutMotoring, Aarion is great also can't tell you how helpful they have been to me. https://www.outmotoring.com Helix http://store.helix13.com

There are a few more that's just off the top of my head. In a few weeks the forum will be going through another upgrade. Once this is done we will have the market place up and have a vender section.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The wheel speed sensors are used for DSC, traction, abs & TPMS. A bad sensor can affect many things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Also check your crank damper if you have high milage and still have the OEM one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Just realizing that I never closed the loop on this post.

I used the code reader and found abs not present on both the front sensors. Didn't make sense to me so I played around for a bit to get to know the reader better. I found the live testing section. Followed the direction and found that nothing was wrong with either sensors. Since I ordered a new sensor and I already had it on hand, I installed it anyway and did my live test and found that the NEW one was defective. Cleaned and reinstalled the old, warped looking one, passed the tests and it automatically cleared my codes.

The tire pressure kept coming on the day after but the rest was fine until I finally looked up how to properly reset that.

Anyway, thanks for the code reader recommendation you guys. I would have never found out that the new sensor was defective and would have wasted more money otherwise.

Now on to other repairs...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I would start with the wheel sensor that was replaced. Make sure that the wire is not chafing on anything and it is plugged in good. Check to see if any codes are showing. Sense you are smelling burnt wires check the fuses.

19. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Welp, as soon as I started it up, the lights are on again and there's light squealing from the rear driver's side so I'll see if I can take off the caliper and check it out. Know what else I should look for? I figured probably the piston is stuck. Any quick fixes that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

20. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have always liked the big brake kit...