TrueCar, not good deal in the long run

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BruceK, Dec 11, 2015.

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I got a loaner, even on free oil changes. I've got to figure out how to handle the passenger air bag sensor recall, since the seats are out, wonder if they'll do the seat out of the car.

2. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Saturn failed due to other issues... like GM not giving a **** about the real mission behind Saturn.

Eventually the cars were just piecemealed heaps cobbled together with the other brand's leftover platforms and pieces.

Initially, Saturn was a hit.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    True, but they did make some mistakes initially...I remember the ads touting the plastics fenders. That lasted about 15 minutes until they switched to metal...

4. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Yup, yup.

Don't insult the salesman/be d-bag with too low price, and be ready to walk out if you can't come to terms within 30 min. And REALLY walk out. Been there, done that several times.

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Everything we buy is priced at "cost plus" one way or the other it's just a matter of how much plus! is added to it.. For the car salesman does your dealership make more money on selling cars or from the service/parts department? I'm betting the service/parts dept. IF it has a good service techs... Sooooo for the owner he needs to sell as many cars even if he doesn't make much profit on the sell to get more service work coming in right? Which in turn will get him better/more kick backs from the manufacture and in turn may get him better pricing on the car to start..
    Went thru this when a friend of mine and I were buying motorcycles awhile back. 3 Local dealers wouldn't budge on sticker even though we were buying 2 bikes and spending over $10,000 each. Dealer a town over discounted them $1200 each and got the sale along with helmets, jackets, service work etc..

6. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

We'll entertain just about any reasonable offer on a new car.

On pre-owned, sometimes there are cars that are already priced below what we own them for, and the price is the price. Don't like it? Go pound sand.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Spoken like a true used car salesman. :wink:

8. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    At some point, you have to cut your losses.

I had a pair of... let's say, lowballers... walk in at 7:30 the other night asking about the $5k R56 S we had. Keep in mind, we close at 8.

We own the car for $5800. Priced at $5000. Been on the lot for 70 days, give or take.

Went over the whole nine - work we put into the car, work previous owner did to the car, service records, etc. They tried to argue that KBB said the car was worth $3500.

Ok, so let's do KBB together. With options and mileage, KBB comes out to $5032.

And still, they insisted on offering $3500. Wouldn't even consider us extending an offer of $4600. So, pound sand they shall.

Some people are just *******s and like to make ridiculous offers because haggling is their way of life, even if something is actually priced fairly.

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I just read an article where a combined Honda/Toyota dealer in Seattle opened a new location. Fixed pricing, no commission sales people, all high tech, in and out in about 2 hours.

The claim is that it's aimed at tech savvy millennials. To make it like the Apple store. The problem is most millennials don't have any money, a job and live in their parents basement. Sure there are some exceptions. But they usually want "style" cars.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes some folks are low ballers & some are beyond jerks. I get this I just don't get the pound sand part. If you don't like working with the public you should find another line of work you'll be happier in.

11. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy working with 98.5% of people.

It's the 2.5% that come in and are just so incredibly unreasonable with their offers and attitude, those are the customers that I don't enjoy working with.

Telling me to find another job because I don't enjoy dealing with attempting to accommodate the unreasonable offers of the few miserly *******s that come into my dealership - seriously?

Sure, I put on a smile, I'm not a dick about it - I don't literally tell them to, "go pound sand," but there comes a point in the negotiation process where you have to tell a customer that this isn't working out. We're a business, not a charity - we can't bend to every goddamn whim and take huge losses on every deal.

Surely you have some aspect of your job that bothers you as well. Maybe you should find a new job, too.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I have found my new job as a retired guy & don't call me surely.:D

13. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    Enjoy it my friend.

I don't think I ever see myself retiring despite my best efforts to establish a decent amount of savings.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Keep saving friend you will get to this age much sooner than you realize. One day you will wake up & say what the fark how did I get this old. :eek6: I am very thankful I thought ahead & saved for retirement.

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Boy I hear that!

You know Zillon, sometimes the best way to close a deal is simply to tell the customer no.

I had a lady wanting to buy a Porsche 944 and the offers she made were just not gonna do it, so I went in , thanked her for the opportunity to do business and wished her a good evening. She was shocked!

Then she said "Well, what can you do"?

I gave her the same price I'd already penciled back twice and she wrote a check.

But I'm serious about what I wrote earlier - people expect the "show", the back and forth and so on, and if you don't give it to them they feel like they were cheated, even if they get exactly what they want.

The psychology of sales is fascinating, but it can me mentally wearying too.