1st Gen R53 Cooper S TSW mount and BSH mount

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by west7, Feb 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, my smooooth ride, my ole grand marquis, is having some engine work done right now, and the
    MINI in my daily anyways. I'm very hope full of the performance of the Cabrio braces. :)

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So did Steve hook you up with the mount?

3. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Haven't purchased the mount yet. I got the TSW mount and noticed the increased vibration even after break in. I just ordered the Cabrio braces, from Way, to see if it reduces the dash rattles and rear view mirror vibration. I believe my lower mount is worn and liked the idea of a stiffer mount, but thought that the BSH mount would increase nvh too much because of the metal on metal mount end. It sounds like Steve puts a small bushing at that mating surface. That should help reduce the added vibration. I Would be purchasing it now, but found that my passenger side ball joints were bad and causing a chatter in the steering wheel. Those joints are now top priority.

4. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    What is the VIP mount? Is that the English vibratechnics mount? I believe I am needing a new motor mount although I am hearing nothing and feeling nothing, I can see where there has been a leak of some sort on the rail. My car is new to me as of 5 mo. ago I bought it with 45K on it, it's an 06 MCSa. I talked to the previous dealer that serviced the car and they had no record of having done a motor mount.

Thanks
    Tracy

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #25 Dave.0, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
    The VIP mount is a dog bone style mount that has rubber bushings at each end. It goes on top of the OEM upper mount and attaches to the strut tower. It was ok but the rubber bushings would wear after a year or so.

Here a link with a picture:
    http://www.vipcustomparts.com/engine%20parts%20page.htm

I have since removed the VIP mount and the OEM fluid filled mount and replaced it with the UK Vibratechnics that I purchased from Colin Greene. I am also replacing my lower BSH "road" motor mount with the UK Vibratechnics lower mount. It is lighter than the OEM and BSH mounts and has rubber at each end.

Vibratechnics also sells a trans mount (not silly polly inserts) a whole mount. All three mounts are available in two types Road and Race soft or hardness.

Vibratechnics link for info: http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/mini_bmw/mini_cooper_s_r53_04_06

I have NO MVH anymore.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave,

So you don't need the VIP with the Vibratechnics engine mount? Will it still fit?

7. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Being "light weight" is not nessacarily a good thing for the lower engine mount. The stock and the BSH are just fine, weight wise. I am going to post a picture tomorrow of Custom Mini Shop's, custom BSH mount, with bushings on both ends. And they are PAYING vendors here, unlike some of the vendors being discussed :idea:

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: THREAD JACK!- So I bought my BSH stuff through DOS(both MA vendors). Would some one call my 1st 2 exwives and tell them what a loyal good guy that I am.:devil::ihih::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup: Now back to our thread. :lol:

Jason

9. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave,
    I have been to their website. Any problems ordering? I am researching options to the stock mount. I am not feeling anything I can pin down. Very little if any vibes in the cabin. The mirror is quiet, I would like to keep it that way, but don't want to be doing this more than once. After you put too many stock mounts in you have already paid the price.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep... I"ve had my VIP for a few years. Started getting more NVH a while back. Yesterday had my wife sit in the car and shift while I watch the engine. Moving a good bit with the VIP now - rubber "looks" fine, but is definitely much more compliant than when new.

Think I'm going to have to go VT.

11. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I should start a new thread...dunno :confused:

How much should the motor move? when you are checking at a stand still and go through the gears like Paul did. Did that yesterday and the guys at the shop looked at it and said it looked very normal to them. I saw that it seemed to move front to back about and inch + or - and nothing at idle.

Tracy

12. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    :eek6: now that's a scary thought :lol:

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok well RMW is a vendor here and Colin works for Jan so again your post is pointless.

The VIP brace is not needed with the VT upper mount. The VT lower mount is lighter and stronger than the BSH and OEM in my opinion.
    Again NO MVH but what would I know I only have them installed on a fast high HP car that's 6 years old without any problems.

14. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    RMW is a vendor here? Oh really? They are not listed, why don't you take a look for yourself. So you have installed one on one car, wow that makes you an expert :lol: Custom Mini Shop is a LISTED vendor here, and Steve works on MINIS all day long, can you say that?

15. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    The front bushing on mine shifted so I got a new one from VIP, all good again.
    The Vibratechnics engine mount looks the real deal though.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Oh Jiminni Crickets,

They are a site sponsor not a vendor. God your are such a ,,, never mind, whatever, your are not worth my time anymore. Maybe you should let the "Custom Mini Shop" post for themselves

Here are some cold hard facts no one can argue but I bet you will.

Mynes is not a site sponsor or vendor here either, just like your buddy.
    They cannot even post because just like your bubbly they have been BANNED.

Which does say a whole lot about a "vendor?"

How many cars have YOU worked on? I have worked on many more than just my own. Right now I am thinking about putting radiators in my doors. Lol

The last sentence above was a joke, just incase you did not get it.:ihih::lol:

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Oh Jiminni Crickets,

They are a site sponsor not a vendor. God your are such a ,,, never mind, whatever, your are not worth my time anymore. Maybe you should let the "Custom Mini Shop" post for themselves

Here are some cold hard facts no one can argue but I bet you will.

Mynes is not a site sponsor or vendor here either, just like your buddy.
    They cannot even post because just like your bubbly they have been BANNED.

Which does say a whole lot about a "vendor?"

How many cars have YOU worked on? I have worked on many more than just my own. Right now I am thinking about putting radiators in my doors. Lol

The last sentence above was a joke, just incase you did not get it.:ihih::lol:

P.S. I am a LIFETIME member of M/A and I guess that makes me a little sponsor also.

You not so much.....

18. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So RMW is not a vendor here, thank you for confirming that. So what in the world does Mynes have to do with this thread? It's funny how you are the one that always drags a thread down? But just so you know Jason is not banned, in fact he just posted for your friend and his lies. How many MINIS have I worked on......hmm......since I help Steve out almost ever weekend, a lot more than you I'm sure. Oh and he doesn't post much has he does not have the time and will not get pulled into arguments.

19. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Oh and im sure your little ploy will work and this thread will be closed. Sad really sad.

20. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0